Vernal and Nevada Falls (The Mist) Trail

#2 of 173 trails in Yosemite National Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Vernal Fall and Nevada Fall is a 6.5 mile out (via The Mist trail) and back trail (via John Muir trail) located in Yosemite National Park, California and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from April until October.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Dustin Bishop (36)

1 Completed0 Reviews

This is not an easy hike! That said, it is well worth every step. We went up the mist trail (with great views of both falls from top and bottom), sat and ate lunch by a pool at the top of Nevada, and took the John Muir Trail part of the way back down. I would suggest making this a loop, not an out-and-back, to avoid descending the steep and slippery steps next to the falls. Probably my favorite hike in Yosemite!

Heather Simons (43)

3 Completed1 Reviews

Not sure why this is categorized the hike to Nevada Falls as easy. It was beautiful and well worth it, but definitely one of the most challenging hikes I have done.

Justin Amendola (203)

5 Completed5 Reviews

Physically challenging, but the views are well worth it! My wife and I made it to the top of Vernal Fall our first time out. I had our 30-lb toddler on my back, making the climb all the more difficult. We plan to complete the entire track during our next trip!

Bethany Brown (1482)

55 Completed29 Reviews

Danielle Dannen (93)

4 Completed4 Reviews

Wonderful hike, some of the most amazing views in the valley. Warning: very steep and slippery stairs going up/down next to Vernal Falls. We started towards Nevada Falls first which seemed to be the less crowded route. Then actually veered off and continued to Illuette Falls- an extra 2.7 miles each way and more of an elevation gain on the return to Nevada but beautiful views from the top of the ridge line. From the top of Nevada hiked back 0.4 to get on the trail towards Vernal- a little confusing but just know you are going the right way. Amazing falls and beautiful views. Worth every step!

Jen Llamas (126)

8 Completed6 Reviews

Kristen Morse (270)

26 Completed10 Reviews

Easy hike with beautiful waterfalls! Definitely worth it!

Adventure A (134)

9 Completed4 Reviews

Tania Ortiz (48)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Simply beautiful! Go during spring when the waterfalls are full blast.

Maricel P. (95)

Definitely worth the hike. The last .4 miles is really steep stairs.

Support