Vernal and Nevada Falls (The Mist) Trail

#2 of 173 trails in Yosemite National Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Vernal Fall and Nevada Fall is a 6.5 mile out (via The Mist trail) and back trail (via John Muir trail) located in Yosemite National Park, California and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from April until October.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Tim Baczurik (202)

9 Completed2 Reviews

Crowded but worth it.

Tim Baczurik (202)

9 Completed2 Reviews

Natalie Allin (222)

6 Completed7 Reviews

The hike itself is great, awesome views of the falls and just the right amount of challenging. But this hike is an absolute pain in the ass because of the intense amount of crowds. Either go early or avoid it altogether.

Greg H. (62)

It's a very nice hike, but when I went there I couldn't get GPS on my iPhone 6 Plus. I also brought with me a Garmen hiking GPS which has a much better antenna but couldn't get GPS on that either. I'm not sure if that was because maybe it was very cloudy.
It doesn't really matter because the trail is well defined and basically you can just walk up the trail to the top of the waterfall and then go back the same way you came. I recommend purchasing a rain poncho before you go on the trip as if you do the hike to the top of Vernal Falls you'll get really soaked from all the mist. That's why they call it mist Trail. If you park at the happy trails parking I recommend getting back before dark otherwise it will be very hard to find your car.

Leslie Wong (629)

19 Completed19 Reviews

Nice day hike, but crowded even early in the season.

Sofia Samarah (223)

13 Completed5 Reviews

I want this hike to be a five star hike so bad! But it's not... That said I pretty much loved it. Super challenging. The incline is steep as hell then you get to the stairs and like most natural stairs they shift in hight and width with every step. I had spaghetti legs by the time I got to the top. When you start on the stairs by vernal falls you get soaked by the falls mist and if it's a warm summer day trust me you won't mind it. It's absolutely beautiful. The reason it's not a five star (and I hope I don't sound like a snob for saying this) is due to the amount of people who have no business being on this trail. It is one of the most popular trails in Yosemite so everyone goes to it. There were people in flip flops and sun dresses on this trail. It was insanely crowded and all of this would be fine but most people didn't have any type of basic hiking educate (stay to the right, let people pass, don't walk only one step behind me, stuff like that.) as a serious hiker if I were going to Yosemite I would not do this hike during the summer.

Dustin Bishop (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

This is not an easy hike! That said, it is well worth every step. We went up the mist trail (with great views of both falls from top and bottom), sat and ate lunch by a pool at the top of Nevada, and took the John Muir Trail part of the way back down. I would suggest making this a loop, not an out-and-back, to avoid descending the steep and slippery steps next to the falls. Probably my favorite hike in Yosemite!

Heather Simons (43)

3 Completed1 Reviews

Not sure why this is categorized the hike to Nevada Falls as easy. It was beautiful and well worth it, but definitely one of the most challenging hikes I have done.

Justin Amendola (270)

5 Completed6 Reviews

Physically challenging, but the views are well worth it! My wife and I made it to the top of Vernal Fall our first time out. I had our 30-lb toddler on my back, making the climb all the more difficult. We plan to complete the entire track during our next trip!

Bethany Brown (1543)