Vernal and Nevada Falls (The Mist) Trail

#3 of 173 trails in Yosemite National Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Vernal Fall and Nevada Fall is a 6.5 mile out (via The Mist trail) and back trail (via John Muir trail) located in Yosemite National Park, California and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from April until October.

Public Information Office
P.O. Box 577
Yosemite, CA 95389
Call: 209/372-0200; press 3 then 5.
Time: 9 am to 5 pm Pacific Time (closed for lunch)

Icon_

13 Completed 1 Reviews

Nicole M

15 Completed 8 Reviews

Absolutely all around beautiful hike. I recommend starting early in the morning to avoid the crowd that builds up on the stairs (at least on your way up). The views are amazing. Definitely worth the effort to continue all the way up to Vernal Falls.

7 Completed 7 Reviews

I did this when i was 14. Now im about to do this at 36 with my hubby and 3 kids........omg......what am i thinking,lol lol. Totally recommend this hike to anyone that loves to hike. I remember getting almost to the top and the mist from the falls hitting you and how great it felt in the middle of summer. Then getting to the top and it being filled with water,swimming,sliding down the slick granite into the water and the water being not as warm as the river,lol. Allot of up. Still it was awesome!

42 Completed 8 Reviews

A "must do" in Yosemite. Expect crowds, and pavement on the initial section of trail.

41 Completed 30 Reviews

I'm not sure I would rate this hike as moderate unless you are a very seasoned hiker. We hike a LOT and we had to take our time on this trail. There really isn't much of a let-up from from heavy uphill or downhill, no matter what way you are taking, so be prepared. Because of the length it is manageable for a day hike for just about anyone in reasonable fitness.

That being said, this is a FANTASTIC hike - one of the best I've ever done. Spectacular views, lots of waterfalls, and the mist trail is a unique treat, especially in the heat. We really enjoyed everything about this hike. I recommend going up along the mist trail and down the John Muir trail, as it's steeper up and more of a slope down this way - easier on the knees.

Icon_501d63199b37c99e1ad3f7dba094fa7a

2 Completed 2 Reviews

My daughter and I hiked this in April. We had to take the long way up to Nevada Falls because the Vernal Falls portion was closed. Well worth doing. Beautiful views.

7 Completed 4 Reviews

Hiked the Mist trail to Vernal falls, a lot of water was running and the stairs were wet and we also got drenched. We then continued on up to Nevada falls, still a lot of stairs but not quite as treacherous. We took the John Muir trail back which seemed a little easier. All in all it is a great hike but it can be crowded in some areas. Beautiful views everywhere. Bring water and wear good hiking shoes!

26 Completed 5 Reviews

Vernal Falls hike:Great hike with astonishing views and a must-do for every hiking connoisseur and a nature lover albeit the rating "moderate" on this is moot in my view. Its quite a climb. We chose the hike via the Mist trail and with kids and steep gradient at times combined with high altitude, we could only go up to Vernal falls. Distance wise it is a 3-plus miles two way. Work up a sweat and be prepared to be drenched by the mist of the Vernal falls...totally worth it! One caveat though towards the end you will have to climb steps to hike to the falls, which are wet, very narrow and crowded. But it is worth the strain-loved that our kids enjoyed it too- youngest is 4 yrs. Highly recommend! We are determined to hike the Nevada falls, but next time... Finally I am glad we visited the world famous Yosemite Park and hiked this gorgeous trail during the National park week!!

1 Completed 1 Reviews

So proud of myself. I'm not in the best shape nor do I have the best knees but I did this!! Came back via muir trail. Loved it. Beautiful views and so so worth it!!

6 Completed 4 Reviews

I went this January and broke the rules. The trail was closed due to ice. However, if you're dumb or experienced enough it shouldn't be a problem. This was an incredible hike with terrific views of Yosemite Valley, the Falls (which are some of the best in the world), Mt Broderick and Liberty Cap. And if you get the chance when you reach the top of Nevada Falls, there's a side overhang to walk onto and see the pool that forms just before the fall. It's amazing!

Support