Vernal and Nevada Falls (The Mist) Trail

#2 of 173 trails in Yosemite National Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Vernal Fall and Nevada Fall is a 6.5 mile out (via The Mist trail) and back trail (via John Muir trail) located in Yosemite National Park, California and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from April until October.

Public Information Office
P.O. Box 577
Yosemite, CA 95389
Call: 209/372-0200; press 3 then 5.
Time: 9 am to 5 pm Pacific Time (closed for lunch)

15 Completed 15 Reviews

I love this trail - it is so beautiful, just very crowded. You're often in a queue waiting to go up. Best in the off season. We usually do it as a loop up the mist trail and down John Muir.

4 Completed 3 Reviews

Wasn't too bad of a hike, although it was mostly uphill. It'd be better to go earlier in the season when there's more water. I'll definitely want to try again in April or May!

Icon_

30 Completed 30 Reviews

27 Completed 5 Reviews

It is a very crowded trail. Make sure to drink plenty of water. The portion of the stairs can get slippery when they get wet.

Icon_

13 Completed 1 Reviews

Nicole M

17 Completed 9 Reviews

Absolutely all around beautiful hike. I recommend starting early in the morning to avoid the crowd that builds up on the stairs (at least on your way up). The views are amazing. Definitely worth the effort to continue all the way up to Vernal Falls.

7 Completed 7 Reviews

I did this when i was 14. Now im about to do this at 36 with my hubby and 3 kids........omg......what am i thinking,lol lol. Totally recommend this hike to anyone that loves to hike. I remember getting almost to the top and the mist from the falls hitting you and how great it felt in the middle of summer. Then getting to the top and it being filled with water,swimming,sliding down the slick granite into the water and the water being not as warm as the river,lol. Allot of up. Still it was awesome!

42 Completed 8 Reviews

A "must do" in Yosemite. Expect crowds, and pavement on the initial section of trail.

41 Completed 30 Reviews

I'm not sure I would rate this hike as moderate unless you are a very seasoned hiker. We hike a LOT and we had to take our time on this trail. There really isn't much of a let-up from from heavy uphill or downhill, no matter what way you are taking, so be prepared. Because of the length it is manageable for a day hike for just about anyone in reasonable fitness.

That being said, this is a FANTASTIC hike - one of the best I've ever done. Spectacular views, lots of waterfalls, and the mist trail is a unique treat, especially in the heat. We really enjoyed everything about this hike. I recommend going up along the mist trail and down the John Muir trail, as it's steeper up and more of a slope down this way - easier on the knees.

Icon_501d63199b37c99e1ad3f7dba094fa7a

2 Completed 2 Reviews

My daughter and I hiked this in April. We had to take the long way up to Nevada Falls because the Vernal Falls portion was closed. Well worth doing. Beautiful views.

Support