Vernal and Nevada Falls (The Mist) Trail

#2 of 173 trails in Yosemite National Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Vernal Fall and Nevada Fall is a 6.5 mile out (via The Mist trail) and back trail (via John Muir trail) located in Yosemite National Park, California and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from April until October.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Maricel P. (66)

Definitely worth the hike. The last .4 miles is really steep stairs.

Maricel P. (66)

Definitely worth the hike. The last .4 miles is really steep stairs.

Nicole Marie (128)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Went on this hike in January. There was a little snow and ice still and hardly any crowds. Great hike, but I remember it being easier when I was a kid ha ha. I would recommend to anyone who hasn't been to this hike yet.

Claire Bobson (1032)

44 Completed24 Reviews

Ah, the Mist Trail. This is a staple for anybody visiting the park. It has 2 of the parks major waterfalls and tons of stairs- be careful as it can be slippery and has a fairly vertical climb. The stroll to the bottom of Vernal Falls is cake, you can walk a stroller there. However, once you begin to climb both Vernal/Nevada Falls, it can be really strenuous (especially with a pack!). Make sure to hit the trail early in the day, it is one of the most crowded hikes in the park. Instead of hiking the full Mist Trail, I suggest hiking to the bottom of Vernal Falls and then go up via JMT (John Muir Trail) to Clark's Point. Clark's Point looks across from Nevada Falls and gives a vastly superior view.

Rachel Hale (213)

9 Completed3 Reviews

Beautiful hike, lots of waterfalls and some steep terrain. The only downside to the trail is that it is very crowded. As you get further up there are less people, but the bottom asphalt part of the trail is very popular. I only wish I would've had the permit to continue up Half Dome!

Megan Nicole Simone (195)

5 Completed4 Reviews

Wet walkway and very steep stairs. Not kid friendly, and I'd recommend being in good shape if you do this hike. Challenging but beautiful! Very crowded.

Steve Oswald (12237)

149 Completed151 Reviews

I did this trail as part of the Half Dome hike. Wonderful section and the water coming down on you along the Mist trail is unreal. Wonderful experience!

Alyson M. (2191)

Beautiful hike! Quite an incline with over 700 steps, waterfalls that were breath taking, landscape that were memorizing and experiences that will last a lifetime!

felipe hernandez (90)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Started this trail around 8am and came back down through the John Muir Trail around 3pm! Beautiful trail. I'm a pretty heavy guy so I found this trail a bit challenging. Mainly because it's mostly uphill. But I completed the trail! Even got to see a bear with two cubs. Scary! But it didn't stop us from taking pictures. lol

Suzanne Jacobs (334)

17 Completed16 Reviews

I love this trail - it is so beautiful, just very crowded. You're often in a queue waiting to go up. Best in the off season. We usually do it as a loop up the mist trail and down John Muir.

Support