West Cliff Drive Santa Cruz

#1 of 1 trails in Lighthouse Field State Beach

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Two miles of wheelchair accessable coastline. Walking, cycling, skating, beach.

Two miles of wheelchair accessable "mixed use bicycle path" along the scenic Santa Cruz Coast. Path covers visual and physical access to: Surfing, cycling, skating, walking, tidepools, beach, kite flying, fishing, frisbee, sponge and skim boarding, dogs playing on beach and open fields, sea otters, seals, whales and dolphins and monarch butterflies in season, pelicans, cormorants, seagulls and shorebirds, crabs, sea anenomes, lighthouse, and all ages of people out enjoying themselves. Within walking distance of one end is the Boardwalk and municipal pier, the other end has Natural Bridges state park. Moderate temperature in summer. Bring your camera, binoculars, and whole family including your dog (leash required on path but not on Lighthouse beach). Probably one of the most densely packed nature walks and recreation area in Santa Cruz.

From Highway one or Highway 17 proceed on highway one north towards Mission street. Stay in left lane and proceed thru stoplight onto Chestnut street. Take Chestnut to Laurel, left at the light. Turn right on Pacific street. Proceed past stop sign, uphill. Drive about 1/2 mile on West Cliff Drive and find some free parking near the lighthouse. You can park anywhere and have a good walk. I prefer to park near the restrooms after a long drive.

Not applicable.

6 Completed 4 Reviews

Simply beautiful!!! Took many people's advice and started my hike super early... Around 9am to beat the crowds.

Icon_

338 Completed 340 Reviews

We drove this after spending the night in Santa Cruz. Very pretty. Stopped and watched surfers near the surfers museum.

Icon_2247477ba04593c6bbeb801d5e0be66c

67 Completed 40 Reviews

So very pretty. Very crowded but worth it for the views

11 Completed 6 Reviews

Regardless of the crowds, the beauty of the Pacific is unrivaled here. Easy walk to Natural Bridges State Beach. Lots of things to look for along the way. Surfers catching sometimes giant waves near the lighthouse, surfing museum, sea lions, seabirds, and have spotted some dolphins swimming along the coastline. Great landscape and powerful crashing waves. I'll be back for more.

Icon_6091d79bf1a34a4079678d42fdba87b5

6 Completed 6 Reviews

Once again I was unprepared when I attempted to walk this trail. I assumed I would just walk up West Cliff Dr. and take a 2 mile hike through Lighthouse Field State Park. I was wrong, I started from Beach St. & West Cliff Dr. it was 2.81 miles to reach Natural Bridges State Park and then from Natural Bridges State Park to where I finished West Cliff Dr. & Pacific Ave was 2.93 miles. I would say this is the most beautiful & scenic walk along the Pacific Ocean I have been on.

32 Completed 11 Reviews

Beautiful views of the Pacific Ocean but easy and crowded.

Icon_e85a58a00e5487bd467ff905ed900fb8

9 Completed 10 Reviews

Walking from Natural bridges up to the end of the wharf and back again is approx 6.4 miles, lots to see and distract you making this a pretty rewarding walk.. start late morning, soup witht he sea lions and back in a few hours !

45 Completed 26 Reviews

Love this spot! Its great for me and my dog. My dog especially enjoys some beach time while I enjoy and appreciate the views while walking along.

Support