Wind Wolves Preserve

#1 of 7 trails in Fort Tejon State Historic Park
Wind Wolves Preserve is a loop trail located near Bakersfield, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for camping, hiking, mountain biking & trail running and is accessible year-round.

Kid Friendly
camping hiking mountain biking kids wild flowers
Hide Map

Kyle Galaz

2 Completed2 Reviews

wonderful family hike

Raul Perez

1 Completed1 Reviews

I've been here twice within the last month and I am going to make it a habit to make the trip out there at least once a month. I've hiked the mountain trail twice and it is nice and peaceful. I plan on going back and taking the canyon trail up to reflection pond. (No water because of drought)

Jessie Hoffman

10 Completed10 Reviews

took the family out here again today, what am amazing place, if you would like to join us on this day you can check out the video I made of the hike

Jessie Hoffman

10 Completed10 Reviews

took my new overnight pack out here 8/11/15 and also this was my first hike in probably 5 years and I went all the way out to the rocks at reflection pond and back and I must say it was amazing. took the canyon trail up and the bike trail back. Going to give the mountain trail a go in the next couple days. It's perfectly warm and the breeze coming from the mountains down the valley made it that much better. I hit all the picnic areas and they are perfectly placed under some sort of cover, one even being near the washout for the rain water. It was Like I wasn't anywhere near the desert. I can not wait to go back for another long hike and to bring the wife and kids up via the bike trail. such a cool place.

Crystal Molina

3 Completed2 Reviews

My family and I hiked this trail today. We got to the crossing about 10 am. We hike the San Emigdio Canyon Trail. It was warm on the way up to the Willows Picnic Area. There was a light breeze on the way back which made a huge difference. We took our dogs with us and they handled the trail like a champ. I can definitely see myself doing this trail about once a few times a month for conditioning.

Jenna Hale

3 Completed3 Reviews

I am a newer hiker- I've been hiking about a year- and I have hiked at Wind Wolves about four times. It has been a great experience each time. I have only made it out to the Willows Loop so far. I think that is about 2.5-3 miles from the Crossing picnic area (where you park).

This Sunday I arrived about 7:45am at the visitors center/admin building for the guided bird hike. It is actually more of a tour where you drive to locations in a van and then get out to watch the birds. The naturalist, Megan, was awesome! She told me all about the various birds, plant life, history of the area and future plans for the preserve. The tour was three hours and so worth it. Binoculars are provided and it is a free activity (donations are accepted and I gladly made one after the tour).

After the tour I drove over to The Crossing parking area and ate my picnic lunch in the shade before hiking out to the Willows. It took me about an hour to get to the Willows. I was going pretty slow and enjoying the views, plus it was almost noon in August so it was pretty HOT! I would suggest a hat and lots of water- I was thankful I had both!

This trail would be great for hikers of all levels. A cool breeze comes through every so often and it feels great! After taking the bird tour, I felt like I knew the area even better, so I definitely recommend checking out their website for upcoming events and taking advantage of them!

Isabel G.

Jenna Bagala

5 Completed2 Reviews

Otis Allen

10 Completed2 Reviews

I've been hiking here every weekend the past month or so. The gates tend to open up around 7am, even though the site says 8am. Drive straight in and look for the sign that says parking lot #6. This will take you to "The Crossing" area. There is a restroom at this point and at about every 1 mile or so up until the 3 mile marker along the "San Emigdio" trail for both the hiking trail and the MTB trail. "The Willows" rest area has a nice little shaded area for resting at benches, as well as restrooms and potable water refill.If you want scenery and a bit more change in footing, try the hiking path instead of the MTB path. It also hugs the mountains at times, so there is more opportunity for shade.

The MTB trail and the hiking trail for San Emigdio are very easy with very little elevation gain. One other choices are to take the express shuttle out to the deeper parts of the trail, if you want to explore further out. The shuttle runs throughout the day and at times starting at 8:30am posted on the official site. I'm headed out to try this one tomorrow. Additionally, you may choose to head from the parking lot straight up the "Mountain View Trailhead" which leads to the Thule Elk trail. The first .8 mile or so is pretty steep. There is a nice view of the valley as a reward though. You can follow this trail around about 4.5 miles to where it will meet up with the San Emigdio MTB trail (at about the 2.5 mile mark on that trail) and complete a loop back to the parking lot. If the Mountain View Trail ascent seems too steep for you, then you could follow the MTB San Emigdio trail out to about 2.5 miles (just past The Willows area) and then watch for the path to the West that is gated (white) to vehicles. This leads up to the Thule Elk trail and you can get to the Mountain Viewpoint more easily.

The official site will have events scheduled as well for night hikes, etc.

Mel A

5 Completed2 Reviews

My solo six hour hike and worth every sweat.
Began at 9am @ The Crossing Picnic Area to the Mountain View Trail. Beautiful Views.. continued on to the Tule Elk Trail -3 miles, no shade.
Ending up at cross rd w Bike trail and continued to Reflection Pond Trail up a mountain..after viewing the dry pond and Elk. I headed back down and began the San Emigdio Canyon Trail. I SECT will be the perfect way to end your evening, try to avoid the Bike trail because you won't get much of an experience of trailing on. I ended my hike at 2:45pm: one back pack, snacks, (fruit and nuts) and 3 water bottles. I really enjoyed this hike.