Wind Wolves Preserve

#1 of 7 trails in Fort Tejon State Historic Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Wind Wolves Preserve is a loop trail located near Bakersfield, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for camping, hiking, mountain biking & trail running and is accessible year-round.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Vanessa Terry (341)

10 Completed10 Reviews

San Emigdio Canyon ~ Guided hike through Wind Wolves. Wind Wolves offers many different hiking trails and most of them are non-guided, go at your own pace. However, this guided hike through the San Emigdio Canyon is one I'd highly recommend to a moderate or better hiker. The first 6 miles are through the canyon proper where you crisscross the stream numerous times. Along the way the Wind Wolves Naturalist will show you an abandoned mine and an abandoned homestead, as well as many other interesting things. Once you finally reach the road back on the Wind Wolves Preserve, those final 5 miles are a cake walk, as you've already done battle with the sage, poison oak, creek, willow and many broom bushes.

Vonda Peralez (275)

8 Completed4 Reviews

I was really pleased with my choice this last weekend with Wind Wolves Preserve. This is a PRIVATE preserve. The rangers there were very friendly. I meet a group of friends there early Saturday morning. I was surprised how many people were there. The preserve is free and accepts donations. We choose the Canyon View Trail. It was a moderate/easy trail. We had to cross the running creek several times which was a lot of fun. We hiked five miles out then turned around just after Reflection Pond. Of course due to the drought, Reflection Pond was dry. We took the road/trail back which cut off two miles of our hike. This is an exposed trail with little to no trees. I wouldn't recommend this hike during the mid-day/afternoon with the Valley heat. It was a perfect weather day for us but later in the year it will be hot. Only downside was we didn't see any wildlife except the birds and some sheep. Overall a great place to go especially for families.

Joe Drullard (176)

5 Completed5 Reviews

This is a good hike, year round. You might see some elk if you are there at the right time. The name of the actual trail is San Emigdio Canyon Trail. I found their Park Rangers and Naturalists to be most friendly and helpful! If you go in the winter plan on seeing a lot of brown! Nonetheless it is a very esay hike. The only difficult part will be the approach up to Reflection Pond (which is currently dry).

Gail Laymance (220)

3 Completed1 Reviews

We did the 10 mile hike up into the canyon to reflection pond... going up the mountain was pretty difficult but we're beginners so it may not be for more experienced hikers. can't wait to come back in the spring during wildflower season. Our dogs loved it too and there were plenty of places to stop along the stream to give them a drink.

Joshua Stuck (365)

11 Completed11 Reviews

This is a very nice area. There are a few other trails to do as well including a 10 mile hike into the canyon. I also did the short mountain view trail wich gives you a chance to see some great views of the valley.

bryan harwood (230)

10 Completed3 Reviews

If you get a chance to hike all the way back into San Emigdio canyon, you'll have a great wilderness type experience, the trail in the canyon is basically non-existant, and the cayon walls reach high into the sky. I will return again.

Vanessa Terry (341)

10 Completed10 Reviews

Sign say's it's open daily from 9-6, didn't have a problem with week day closure. There were park rangers walking around for directions as well, and they were the only ones we saw the entire time. There are multiple trails here and we completed a few of them and will come back for more! Each trail is easy and offers great vistas, however not all have great shade and or rest spots so make sure you remember your hat! Ran across 5 different dear groupings as well. Great family location for beginning hikers.

Cody Wagoner (110)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Strongly recommend for a day hike!

Michael Chartier (75)

0 Completed1 Reviews

Would have been nice to know that this trail is closed on weekdays... I just drove an hour to come check it out and the sign said only open on saturday and sunday... Dont like that.

Oscar Villagomez (101)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Very good trail for 1st timers. Mountain biking is a little challenging since there is lots of loose gravel and sand on the bike path. excellent for biking and hiking.

Support