Wind Wolves Preserve

#1 of 7 trails in Fort Tejon State Historic Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Wind Wolves Preserve is a loop trail located near Bakersfield, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for camping, hiking, mountain biking & trail running and is accessible year-round.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Melliza Avina (105)

3 Completed0 Reviews

My solo six hour hike and worth every sweat.
Began at 9am @ The Crossing Picnic Area to the Mountain View Trail. Beautiful Views.. continued on to the Tule Elk Trail -3 miles, no shade.
Ending up at cross rd w Bike trail and continued to Reflection Pond Trail up a mountain..after viewing the dry pond and Elk. I headed back down and began the San Emigdio Canyon Trail. I SECT will be the perfect way to end your evening, try to avoid the Bike trail because you won't get much of an experience of trailing on. I ended my hike at 2:45pm: one back pack, snacks, (fruit and nuts) and 3 water bottles. I really enjoyed this hike.

Jeff Freesmann (78)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Took Mountain View trail just to west of canyon that turns into Tule Elk trail. Did this on Jan 17. It was excellent to climb out of fog and survey lower San Emigdio Canyon.

Denice Penilla (125)

2 Completed1 Reviews

First time visiting. Loved hiking to the Willows. Looking forward to our next hike. Kid friendly.

jose garcia (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

I just whent last week!!! Beatiful place to hike,,,,,, there are 3-4 diferent level of hike same as distance,!
Recomend 100%

Vanessa Terry (363)

11 Completed11 Reviews

San Emigdio Canyon ~ Guided hike through Wind Wolves. Wind Wolves offers many different hiking trails and most of them are non-guided, go at your own pace. However, this guided hike through the San Emigdio Canyon is one I'd highly recommend to a moderate or better hiker. The first 6 miles are through the canyon proper where you crisscross the stream numerous times. Along the way the Wind Wolves Naturalist will show you an abandoned mine and an abandoned homestead, as well as many other interesting things. Once you finally reach the road back on the Wind Wolves Preserve, those final 5 miles are a cake walk, as you've already done battle with the sage, poison oak, creek, willow and many broom bushes.

Vonda Peralez (275)

8 Completed4 Reviews

I was really pleased with my choice this last weekend with Wind Wolves Preserve. This is a PRIVATE preserve. The rangers there were very friendly. I meet a group of friends there early Saturday morning. I was surprised how many people were there. The preserve is free and accepts donations. We choose the Canyon View Trail. It was a moderate/easy trail. We had to cross the running creek several times which was a lot of fun. We hiked five miles out then turned around just after Reflection Pond. Of course due to the drought, Reflection Pond was dry. We took the road/trail back which cut off two miles of our hike. This is an exposed trail with little to no trees. I wouldn't recommend this hike during the mid-day/afternoon with the Valley heat. It was a perfect weather day for us but later in the year it will be hot. Only downside was we didn't see any wildlife except the birds and some sheep. Overall a great place to go especially for families.

Joe Drullard (391)

10 Completed10 Reviews

This is a good hike, year round. You might see some elk if you are there at the right time. The name of the actual trail is San Emigdio Canyon Trail. I found their Park Rangers and Naturalists to be most friendly and helpful! If you go in the winter plan on seeing a lot of brown! Nonetheless it is a very esay hike. The only difficult part will be the approach up to Reflection Pond (which is currently dry).

Gail Laymance (220)

3 Completed1 Reviews

We did the 10 mile hike up into the canyon to reflection pond... going up the mountain was pretty difficult but we're beginners so it may not be for more experienced hikers. can't wait to come back in the spring during wildflower season. Our dogs loved it too and there were plenty of places to stop along the stream to give them a drink.

Joshua Stuck (365)

11 Completed11 Reviews

This is a very nice area. There are a few other trails to do as well including a 10 mile hike into the canyon. I also did the short mountain view trail wich gives you a chance to see some great views of the valley.

bryan harwood (230)

10 Completed3 Reviews

If you get a chance to hike all the way back into San Emigdio canyon, you'll have a great wilderness type experience, the trail in the canyon is basically non-existant, and the cayon walls reach high into the sky. I will return again.

Support