Beaver Brook Trail

Golden, CO
Share review on:

Thanks! How would you describe the trail and its activities?

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Beaver Brook trail starts in Golden and climbs up to around 7000 ft looking down onto Clear Creek as it moves through north forested slopes. After beautiful vistas it drops into Beaver Brook itself before climbing out to Chief Hosa.

The trail on the west side drops down into Beaver Brook, then climbs back out to the top of a 7800' peak so there is a fair amount of climb on that side. The east side if you start at Windy Gap is fairly level although there are scramble and scree piles to climb over.

The Beaver Brook trail system is easily accessed from the east, at Chimney Gulch near Golden or from Windy Gap on Lariat Loop Road or from Colorow Road at the Lookout Mountain Nature Center. From the west it can be accessed from the Stapleton Drive trail head off I-70 at the Chief Hosa.

Good on either end.

67 Completed 38 Reviews

I did this hike in the Fall which was a beautiful time of year to do the hike, a section of trail you cross a boulder field (from a past rock slide) over all its a easy to moderate trail, great for being so close to Denver metro area, very heavy use.

3 Completed 3 Reviews

Great trail and only minutes from downtown Denver.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

13 Completed 2 Reviews

This is a fun trail! Kind of narrow if you have to pass people with dogs, but we never fell off the mountain! Lots of shade and just steep enough on the way back to be a great workout. Beautiful scenery and a nice little creek for most of the way. I would definitely do this trail again!

3 Completed 1 Reviews

Beware! Keep on the lookout for the signs! We took the Chavez Trail down to the creek but missed the trail that looped you back up to the parking lot and ended up hiking up the Beaver Brook Trail which was a very, very steep climb, only to find out at the top that we had to turn around and hike back down and up again to the parking lot. This trail is steep and it's worth it because the creek is beautiful, but the map on the sign is unclear. It was a good lesson: have your own map, and be prepared for anything.

5 Completed 5 Reviews

Great hike that's close to Denver. We started from the Chief Hosa trail head and saw very few others on the trail. As another reviewer mentioned, taking Beaver Brook trail to Chavez is a great loop. Took us about 3 hours and my guess was it's 3.5 miles or so. Tons if shade so it's great for sunny hot days. The map at the trail head didn't show the Chavez trail which was confusing, hopefully they update it soon.

E E

63 Completed 8 Reviews

Long hike from Chief Hosa to Windy Saddle or the reverse (shuttle it). Plenty of lovely sections along Beaver Brook with long views once higher sections are attained. Dense forest to open meadows and flowers. Less crowded on the Chief Hosa side. A demanding hike if you do the entire length.

Ed

9 Completed 9 Reviews

I didn't complete all 12 miles but I hiked to the pile of boulders that stick out of the ground. That rock formation is awesome you get a good view of it as you come down into a ravine were the water fall is suppose to be. It is a nice resting point and a good turn back point. I think the mileage is about 2.5 miles. Some places the trail can be technical, you would have to let go of the leash so your dog isn't pulling you. I would recommend this trail for dogs that are well behaved on a leash. While hiking there isn't much of an elevation change until you get to the water fall.

2 Completed 3 Reviews

We started this hike from Windy Saddle on Lookout Mountain and followed it to Genesee. If you want to see everything it has to offer, take two cars and leave one at the trailhead in Genesee. I'm glad we started from Lookout, because there were some downhills that I couldn't imagine having to do in reverse. We took our sweet time, the whole trip took about 9 hours. Check the weather specifically in that area, and pack a jacket if you're going in the summer, we ran into some rain and some heavily shaded cold areas. If you like quiet and solitude, its perfect. I think we saw maybe 10 people all day once you make your way away from the trail heads. I can't wait to do it again and see how much time I can take off from the first hike.

6 Completed 1 Reviews

I love this trail. It is so close to Denver so makes for a great hike when you don't have a couple of hours to commute to and from the trail head. If you start at the Chief Hosa exit and hike down you can do a shorter loop hike. About 2.0 / 2.5 miles in you will come to the bottom of the descent where there is plenty of water and the brook has gotten bigger. Follow the signs for Chavez trail. The trail goes back and forth over the rocks and the brook so at times you might think it is ended but keep going. It will bring you back to a picnicking area with bathrooms. Take a right when you leave the parking area and the road will take you back to the Beaver Brook parking where you left the car. Have fun

Support