Beaver Brook Trail

Golden, CO

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Beaver Brook trail starts in Golden and climbs up to around 7000 ft looking down onto Clear Creek as it moves through north forested slopes. After beautiful vistas it drops into Beaver Brook itself before climbing out to Chief Hosa.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Brandi Wilson (473)

13 Completed13 Reviews

One of my favorite trails! Beautiful and relaxing. It can get busy, but for the most part people tend to move at decent paces so you don't see them for long. The views are awesome!

Jesse Imbler (76)

5 Completed4 Reviews

Paige Mcgovern (104)

4 Completed4 Reviews

Very pretty hike, decently marked and easy to follow. We didn't do the whole trail bc of time but went about 4 miles in. The diversity of the trail was nice- the brook, in the forest, on the mountains. I would do it again.

Jeremey Ellis (46)

1 Completed2 Reviews

@ Craig L - Don't get your panties in a bind. This is on off leash trial. If you don't like it or if you wish to keep your dogs on leash, do everyone a favor and go somewhere else. If you asked me to leash my dog on an off-leash trail, I would politely hold them until you were passed. However, if you ever spray my dog with mace, there will be nothing polite about the "conversation" we'll have.

As far as this trial - this is an awesome trail, especially when Craig L. isn't on it :) The trail is one of my favorites in Golden and I love the fact that it's in Denver's back yard. It's a must if you have dogs that are up for a challenge. I have two herding breed-type dogs, and they are wiped out when we get home.

Jeremey Ellis (46)

1 Completed2 Reviews

@ Craig L - Don't get your panties in a bind. This is on off leash trial. If you don't like it or if wish to keep your dogs on leash, do everyone a favor and go somewhere else.. If you asked me to leash my dog on an off-leash trail, I would politely hold them until you were passed. However, if you ever spray my dog with mace, there will be nothing polite about the "conversation" we'll have.

Sam Clark (89)

5 Completed6 Reviews

Favorite trail near Golden yet. Started off Lookout mntn rd. Within a few hundred yards the trail splits. Make sure you go right..it has a sign that says Hikers only (or something to that nature) which is nice because there was a lot of mountain bikers. I opted to stay right (heading west) and left a car at stapleton dr so I didn't have to trek back haha.

Angela Buttner (134)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Craig L (159)

41 Completed5 Reviews

I would have given this trail a little higher review but people (as in most things in life) completely ruined it for me. Popular trail for people with dogs OFF LEASH! Not sure why people can't follow rules when it comes to their dogs, they seem to think they have complete control but rest assured most don't! I can't tell you how many dogs ran away from their owners as soon as they saw our dog, who was leashed 100% of the time. Then when we asked them to leash their dog all we got back in return was attitude and in one case threats (by four punky 20-something y.o. boys with two unleashed dogs, you know who you are). Public Service Announcement - Leash your dog! SOME people carry mace and SOME people will use it if they feel like you or your dog is threatening!

Now as far as the trail goes, it was ok. We hiked it in two halves - the east side (Look Out Mountain Parking Lot) and the west side (Chief Hosa Parking Lot). Even though we took our dog with us, I wouldn't recommend this trail for dogs! The east half has two boulder fields that you have to cross that are difficult enough for humans but our dog fell in a crevice between two boulders that I had to pick her out of. After that there are a few rock outcroppings and crags that you (and your dog) will have to traverse. After the initial mile on the east side however it calms down and becomes a very nice, shady trail for the next several miles.

The west side starts off immediately descending approximately 1,000' in about a mile. After that it's back up for a steady climb before it levels out. All the while you are forced to traverse more rock outcroppings, crags and rock staircases. Not the pleasant simple hike I expected after the initial mile on the east side. The best things about this trail are 1) plenty of tree cover, 2) nice views. But been there, done that and learned my lesson about popular Denver metro hiking trails that allow dogs!

Chuck Guttilla (128)

8 Completed3 Reviews

i found this on accident, went 2 miles n turned back cause of time. but def plan on going back to complete it. Views are spectacular.

Brock sanders (93)