Beaver Brook Trail

Golden, CO

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Beaver Brook trail starts in Golden and climbs up to around 7000 ft looking down onto Clear Creek as it moves through north forested slopes. After beautiful vistas it drops into Beaver Brook itself before climbing out to Chief Hosa.

The trail on the west side drops down into Beaver Brook, then climbs back out to the top of a 7800' peak so there is a fair amount of climb on that side. The east side if you start at Windy Gap is fairly level although there are scramble and scree piles to climb over.

The Beaver Brook trail system is easily accessed from the east, at Chimney Gulch near Golden or from Windy Gap on Lariat Loop Road or from Colorow Road at the Lookout Mountain Nature Center. From the west it can be accessed from the Stapleton Drive trail head off I-70 at the Chief Hosa.

Good on either end.

40 Completed 3 Reviews

I would have given this trail a little higher review but people (as in most things in life) completely ruined it for me. Popular trail for people with dogs OFF LEASH! Not sure why people can't follow rules when it comes to their dogs, they seem to think they have complete control but rest assured most don't! I can't tell you how many dogs ran away from their owners as soon as they saw our dog, who was leashed 100% of the time. Then when we asked them to leash their dog all we got back in return was attitude and in one case threats (by four punky 20-something y.o. boys with two unleashed dogs, you know who you are). Public Service Announcement - Leash your dog! SOME people carry mace and SOME people will use it if they feel like you or your dog is threatening!

Now as far as the trail goes, it was ok. We hiked it in two halves - the east side (Look Out Mountain Parking Lot) and the west side (Chief Hosa Parking Lot). Even though we took our dog with us, I wouldn't recommend this trail for dogs! The east half has two boulder fields that you have to cross that are difficult enough for humans but our dog fell in a crevice between two boulders that I had to pick her out of. After that there are a few rock outcroppings and crags that you (and your dog) will have to traverse. After the initial mile on the east side however it calms down and becomes a very nice, shady trail for the next several miles.

The west side starts off immediately descending approximately 1,000' in about a mile. After that it's back up for a steady climb before it levels out. All the while you are forced to traverse more rock outcroppings, crags and rock staircases. Not the pleasant simple hike I expected after the initial mile on the east side. The best things about this trail are 1) plenty of tree cover, 2) nice views. But been there, done that and learned my lesson about popular Denver metro hiking trails that allow dogs!

1 Completed 1 Reviews

i found this on accident, went 2 miles n turned back cause of time. but def plan on going back to complete it. Views are spectacular.

Icon_

2 Completed 2 Reviews

72 Completed 39 Reviews

I did this hike in the Fall which was a beautiful time of year to do the hike, a section of trail you cross a boulder field (from a past rock slide) over all its a easy to moderate trail, great for being so close to Denver metro area, very heavy use.

3 Completed 3 Reviews

Great trail and only minutes from downtown Denver.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

13 Completed 2 Reviews

This is a fun trail! Kind of narrow if you have to pass people with dogs, but we never fell off the mountain! Lots of shade and just steep enough on the way back to be a great workout. Beautiful scenery and a nice little creek for most of the way. I would definitely do this trail again!

3 Completed 1 Reviews

Beware! Keep on the lookout for the signs! We took the Chavez Trail down to the creek but missed the trail that looped you back up to the parking lot and ended up hiking up the Beaver Brook Trail which was a very, very steep climb, only to find out at the top that we had to turn around and hike back down and up again to the parking lot. This trail is steep and it's worth it because the creek is beautiful, but the map on the sign is unclear. It was a good lesson: have your own map, and be prepared for anything.

5 Completed 5 Reviews

Great hike that's close to Denver. We started from the Chief Hosa trail head and saw very few others on the trail. As another reviewer mentioned, taking Beaver Brook trail to Chavez is a great loop. Took us about 3 hours and my guess was it's 3.5 miles or so. Tons if shade so it's great for sunny hot days. The map at the trail head didn't show the Chavez trail which was confusing, hopefully they update it soon.

E E

63 Completed 8 Reviews

Long hike from Chief Hosa to Windy Saddle or the reverse (shuttle it). Plenty of lovely sections along Beaver Brook with long views once higher sections are attained. Dense forest to open meadows and flowers. Less crowded on the Chief Hosa side. A demanding hike if you do the entire length.

Ed