Beaver Brook Trail

HARD
#1 of 1 trails in Windy Saddle Open Space Park
true
Beaver Brook Trail is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Golden, CO that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

dogs on leash camping hiking nature trips cross country skiing forest lake river views wild flowers wildlife rocky scramble
Hide Map

Beaver Brook trail starts in Golden and climbs up to around 7000 ft looking down onto Clear Creek as it moves through north forested slopes. After beautiful vistas it drops into Beaver Brook itself before climbing out to Chief Hosa. The trail on the west side drops down into Beaver Brook, then climbs back out to the top of a 7800' peak so there is a fair amount of climb on that side. The east side if you start at Windy Gap is fairly level although there are scramble and scree piles to climb over.

David Turner

3 Completed0 Reviews

Sarah Sarah Lee

Rochelle Shears

2 Completed0 Reviews

It was a great trail! Follows water most of the way, although I didn't do the whole trail.

Courtney Green

1 Completed0 Reviews

It was amazing. So much fun. I really liked how it was peaceful and not many people were on it!

Rob Boswell

5 Completed0 Reviews

Great hike that has some bouldering and nice views.

Sean Campbell

3 Completed0 Reviews

A great technical hike that requires only yaktraks in the winter months, this trail has great views and is worth the time.

However... it is heavily trafficked and takes away from the peacefulness. Lots of young adults running and climbing on rocks, some playing music through portable speakers.

Good hike except for lots of people.

Kevin Hunt

5 Completed0 Reviews

Awesome! Lots of ups and downs and a great lookout about 3/4 of the way up the south side

Nicholas Cooper

1 Completed0 Reviews

Beautiful hike. However there is snow on the mountain and on the north western sides of the trail there is a lot of ice. So be careful, seriously... We saw tracks of someone slipping in a place where they would not stop falling for a good 50 feet. So bring studded boots! About halfway through the trail there is an awesome overlook where you can see the highway below, and the City of Golden off in the distance.
I brought my pooch, and so did quite a few others. He enjoyed it as well.

Julie Lillehaugen

Jason Schwarz

Das gud!

Benjamin Gonifas

Anna Sherrod

4 Completed0 Reviews

Brian AYERS

4 Completed2 Reviews

A week after the first snow in November... A little icy and scary.. Needed better traction / spikes. Otherwise was fun! Not much running going on with the snow and ice, but still a great workout if you push yourself. Beautiful scenery!!!

Kristin Wold

13 Completed8 Reviews

Chelsea K.

Todd Lloyd

2 Completed2 Reviews

Beautiful views throughout the entire distance. Beware the BB trail is an out and back!
My girlfriend, dog and I did the trail and were shocked to find we were a 20 min car ride from our car at the end of trail. Thankfully, we were given a ride back to our car. :)
An unexpected thunderstorm rolled in on us at about the half way mark, thankfully we had our rain gear with us; ~30 minutes later it had cleared up. Doing the hike in early September the stream crossings were easy, but I feel earlier in the year with snow melt or heavy rains it would be a little more tricky.
The trail is mostly under tree cover, you know when there is no shade.
I would do this trail again.

Jesse Pearlman

4 Completed2 Reviews

Like the others, missed the Chavez loop turn off Beaver Brook and hiked across. This was my daughters first home in CO and the experience almost ruined her. The trail isn't easy to my thinking, a lot of narrow passages over rough rocks, the trail is difficult to follow in places and poorly marked. While we didn't run out of water it was a close thing. Also 5+ hours on the trail with no snacks when we expected an easy 4 miles... Rough. Thank god for the nice couple who gave us a ride back to my car.

Shana S'Silvestri

6 Completed1 Reviews

Almost the exact same experience as Nicole N. below....This definitely isn't a loop as we initially thought.. we missed the turn to stay on the loop (Chevaz Trail) and ended up doing the whole beaver trail and came out at a completely different entrance and had to get a ride from someone back to our cars. There were 7 of us so it was a real favor -TY Betty ;) .! Trail is not very clearly marked so if you plan to loop in pay attention!
About 9 miles total..so clearly ran out of water. Please be prepared for more than expected.
However the hike was beautiful and I'd do this again if i was more prepared

Nicole Nakamura

2 Completed2 Reviews

So this isn't a loop.. Or we somehow missed the turn to stay on the loop and ended up doing the whole beaver trail and came out at a completely different entrance and had to get a ride from someone back to our car!
About 9 miles total..so clearly ran out of water
However the hike was beautiful and I'd do this again if i was more prepared

Mimimsp O

16 Completed12 Reviews

I followed the map from the app and it dropped me on lookout mountain with no trailhead in site. I then just used Google maps which directed me to a parking lot mid way up lookout mountain between where chimney gulch and lookout mountain trails meet. there is a trailhead called beaver Brook there and based on the map on one of the trails it appears to connect to the full beaver Brook trail. however, I had my dog with me and shortly into the hike encountered some huge boulders that were would have had to crawl over and through. I want up for that today so turned around and did lookout mountain trail instead.