Beaver Brook /Chavez trail loop

#1 of 3 trails in Genesee Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Loved it best yet.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Marie Franco (298)

7 Completed5 Reviews

The scenery was very nice, very woody and the water made the landscape very rich; I particularly liked all the mushrooms and the smell they generated. However, if you plan to do the loop that is one half on Beaver Brook and one half on Chavez, be aware that the marking is confusing and easy to miss, which we did and continued for a while one Beaver Brook until we crossed the brook and realized something was wrong. Regardless it was a great outing and so close to Denver, a nice treat.

James Estes (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

This hike is absolutely beautiful. I hiked it a little after noon today and because of the rain we have been receiving lately their was fog and mist everywhere. The trail is surrounding by greenery, trees, and wildflowers as you run along and across the brook. Parts are steep and will get your heart rate up while other stretches are flat and comfortable. While not far from Denver, it felt like I was in my own remote forest breathing in fresh air and able just to walk with my thoughts.

Kelly Wilmot (206)

6 Completed6 Reviews

After reading a few reviews, I wasn't expecting too much from this trail. Well, I hiked it yesterday and it was gorgeous! The scenery and terrain were ever-changing throughout the loop. There were wildflowers, lots of river-crossings and large boulders to rest or take in the views. I liked Beaver-Brook because it is very different than other trails I've completed recently. It is more of a wildlife/nature trail than one with mountain views, not that there aren't any. I liked the variety, and that the mountain lions were all sleeping during my hike :). The second half of the loop had much, much more of an elev. gain than the first. Nothing too difficult, though. Even on Labor Day weekend, no crowds at all, only passed a handful of hikers. We hiked this in about 2.5 hrs. Have fun!

Doug Sawyer (89)

4 Completed4 Reviews

I like the views on MT Galbraith and I see deer quite a bit and way better views... we sometimes go off trail to the top and get a great view of both N and S Table Mts and Coors Brewery...Also great view of Lariat Loop on Lookout Mt... almost 360 degree views Usually takes 2 hrs from Nightbird trail in a Golden Subdivision to the loop and back about 5+ miles. thinking of doing it sunday to see the us pro bike riders down Lookout Mt.

Rachel S. (92)

2 Completed2 Reviews

I really enjoyed this hike. It has nice views, but know they aren't "spectacular" compared with some at higher elevations and deeper into the Rockies. That being said, I like being in the woods and seeing the different ecosystems. I saw some wildlife including a hand full of squirrels, a bunch of birds and a snake... Considering I went in the late morning and early afternoon (pretty much a horrible time for wildlife viewing!) I think that Is fair. The creek crossings keep you on your toes a bit. And the climb certainly got my heart pumping in the end. It was a Monday when I went, and I only saw 4 other people. Took me 2 hours to complete.

Brian G. (534)

My son and I were checking this out for a Cub Scout pack hike. We really enjoyed the trail, but I definitely would not recommend it for that. Not the full loop any way. There is a nice little picnic area with informational signs at the beginning of the Beaver Brook side. The signs are also in braille! Plenty of shade, lots of cool sites, especially in the ravine where it switches over from Beaver Brook to Chavez trail. Didn't see very much at all as far as wildlife goes. Maybe we'll see more in the future. Yeah, bring plenty of water and make sure your phone/camera has plenty of battery for pictures!

Jessi Harris (293)

15 Completed2 Reviews

great hike close to Denver, was a little crowded but beautiful!

Sam Clark (89)

5 Completed6 Reviews

Great trail with wildlife prevalent. Just be careful not to end up on Windy Saddle trail if you're not prepared. We were told to stay on b/b signs and ended up a few miles into Windy Saddle. My fault in the end, should have looked at the trail map myself. Regardless, it's a great loop..I've done it multiple times and it's very close to Golden. Right off of 70 and I'd take the exit after Genesee Park and get on Stapleton Dr. Very easy to find. There's a part of the road that says "no parking after this point", that's wrong. You can park right by the trail head.

Dr. Ninja (48)

1 Completed1 Reviews

This trail is amazing. It is easily my favorite. It has everything that you can love in a hike. It gives you the perfect exposure to the elements while still making you work up a sweat. It also shifts you through varying stages of nature. One minute you are winding in between trees and giant rock walls, treading rocky paths that fall off, and the next moment you are balancing and crossing a rushing brook. Next thing you know, you are in a small field of blossoming flowers with broad pine trees at the perimeter. Often you feel you are the only one experiencing the trek....these areas. This hike gives you that euphoria of exploration. Everyone you pass is smiling, because this is such an incredible hike. It'll also make you work for it. If you want a better workout you would probably want to start at the Chavez side of the loop and end on Beaver Brook. That ascent would be pretty hard. I started from the Beaver Brook side as most people do because of the parking lot right next to it. It gave me a great workout going that way. I don't know when I'll try going the Chavez side first. I loved this trail and will be going back many many times. I can't wait to show my friends.

Alon Bajayo (105)

6 Completed1 Reviews

This is a great one. the only reason I give it 4 and nit 5 is because I had the impression it will be easier (especially for kids). We hiked them in Sunday. Even though it was above 95 in Denver it was cool and nice along most of the trail. More than 85% shade, cool and water crossings for refreshing. It is steeper than I expected. I'd recommend to start the loop with the left side (southern side), but we saw people coming from both directions. A few tips: Bring plenty of water. If you do it with kids (we had 3, ages 4-8) it will take about 4 hours (including stops and plunges in the water). When you get with the car to the upper parking lot, and the sign says "no parking beyond this spot", well there's parking. If you get early enough you'll have no problems (we got there at 10 am and there was still plenty). Overall a great short hike really close to home.

Support