Beaver Brook /Chavez trail loop

Golden, CO
Share review on:

Thanks! How would you describe the trail and its activities?

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Loved it best yet.

Genesee Park is 20 miles west of Denver on I-70 to Exit 254 (Genesee Park Exit) or Exit 253 (Chief Hosa Exit).

5 Completed 1 Reviews

hiked this trail today and loved it! parts of the river were deep enough for my dog to swim in. you have to cross it several times but most of the places had pretty easy ways to cross. shady trail with lots of pine trees!

3 Completed 2 Reviews

Love this trail. It has challenging points for sure, but not so bad a novice will be overwhelmed. It is listed as light usage, but I have always encountered at least one person while hiking the trail. Make sure you have a well trained dog if you are going to bring them. There are some narrow ledges and if Fido is yanking on his leash it can be dangerous.

Bring a camera, it is beautiful.

Person_placeholder

3 Completed 3 Reviews

This was my first tail, loved it!

1 Completed 1 Reviews

We hiked this trail in the fall - after the recordbreaking rains that flooded many parts of the front range. Hikers should keep in mind that the 800 ft elevation change is done all at once. Switchbacks take you down 800 feet to the canyon floor, and then you traverse the sides of the creek crossing it seven or eight times on fallen logs and branches previous hikers had laid across the rushing waters. On our hike in early October, some of these crossings were pretty precarious, so a walking stick is definitely recommended. After the last creek crossing you come to a fork which either takes you up the final 800 ft of the loop, or, if you miss it and keep going left, you wind up on an 8 mile climb that takes you farther up the Chavez trail which is not a loop. We explored a bit of this before deciding it was too late (4 pm) to complete before dark. The final 800 feet of switchbacks begins shortly after turning right at the fork. We hiked this with our dogs. They loved it, we loved it - even though it was a Sunday, there were few others using the trail. No one seemed bothered by our off-leash friends. We saw a few others also off-leash,but keep in mind that this is NOT an off-leash trail.

10 Completed 6 Reviews

Great trail. Be careful however to not walk down what I think was a deer trail and wind up south of the trail near the road. Other than that its a great hike. I completed this near the beginning of Nov and there were a couple of brook crossing that were tricky with a pack and a dog. I would recommend doing this in the early morning as it was getting fairly busy when I finished around noon

Person_placeholder

Christine Stocking

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Great trail. We did the Chavez / BB trail loop, lots of damage from the rains. The creek was running pretty good and we encountered at least 7 creek crossings. Glad we brought hiking poles because it helped crossing the creek. Bridges and parts of the trail are washed out so be careful!

11 Completed 4 Reviews

We stayed on Beaver brook trail for 4-5 miles then headed back. Good work out. Our golden retriever was pretty tired by the end. We did not do Chavez b/c the map at start of trail said closed. Maybe b/c of all the rain we had and it runs by a good flowing stream? next time we will try the Chavez loop.

25 Completed 4 Reviews

I did Chavez to Beaver Brook and glad I went that way. There are some narrow parts of Beaver Brook on this loop with steep drop offs. I'd rather climb up those than navigate down them. I loved this hike. The up was tough and I was ready for it to end, but the hike was gorgeous and well shaded for a summer hike. There was still plenty of water in the river at the end of August and we all loved playing on the rocks.

8 Completed 8 Reviews

I've done this hike 3 times this summer! I've gone up and down different ways each time to keep it interesting. The water was so high in May and is now barely anything, but it's enough to please my dog. Nice and close to Denver and almost all of it is shaded.

10 Completed 1 Reviews

Good easy hike down the Beaver Brook and a harder steep hike back up the Chavez Trail

Support