Beaver Brook /Chavez trail loop

#1 of 3 trails in Genesee Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

3.85 mile loop with multiple stream crossings and about 1100 ft of elevation gain round trip.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Amy Campbell (106)

3 Completed1 Reviews

Just got back from this amazing hike! Crossed the streams at least 4 times with numerous gorgeous waterfalls. So many wildflowers. Had a picnic at a great spot on the river. The only reason I did not give it 5 stars is because on the return part of the loop, the signage is pretty hidden/non-existent and we went the wrong way. Only lost about a mile and thanks to a fantastic hiker, we got turned back around :)

Caitlyn Harrington (171)

2 Completed1 Reviews

This was a great hike. Lots of water, and fun creek crossings. It was a beautiful hike, with lots of coverage. We did run into a bear on our hike today. Please read the signs on how to properly encounter wildlife and keep your dogs on a leash.

Calvin C. (290)

Pretty good workout. Be careful of all the stream crosses, I slipped on a rock and took a refreshing swim lol.

Candace F. (108)

Moderate due to technical river crossings via logs... Beautiful great to take a pic-nic and a swim suit for the river. Beautiful and clean

Sean Kirlin (173)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Awesome hike. Lots of water, shaded and beautiful. Climbing out of there is a good workout!

Natalie Aceves (105)

9 Completed4 Reviews

The first time I did this trail was in March or April... SO snowy & icy.
Went back at the end of May, and it was much easier. You start going mostly downhill, so it's really easy. The trek back up gets the heart pumping, but it definitely isn't difficult.
Lots of signs to watch for mountain lions and bobcats, but I've never seen either. Still always good to be aware of your surroundings, though.

5 Completed9 Reviews

As mentioned in Dori's comment below, take exit 253 and hang a hard right onto the dirt road. The road will dead end at 2 small parking lots on the left, the first of which is clearly marked as Chavez.

Gradual descent brings you down to the water, and then the fun begins... winding back and forth across the water and looking for the trail's continuation. Of the 7 times we crossed the brook, 5 of them had makeshift branch bridges of varying difficulty. The other 2 I went barefoot, as the water was almost at my knees, and the current actually made my dog hesitate a bit... probably not the best trail for small pups/kids with these conditions.

After the last crossing, the trail will come to a left/right split on the BB path with a sign facing away from you. Take a right to go to the "nature trail" direction, and you're back at the parking lot in 1.5 (steep) miles.

Nice early morning hike, a little tricky but fun. No wildlife except for the standard squirrels and birds.

(I somehow posted this 5 times in a row and the site is giving me a 404 error when I try to delete the reviews. Lovely).

Support