Beaver Brook /Chavez trail loop

#1 of 3 trails in Genesee Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Loved it best yet.

Genesee Park is 20 miles west of Denver on I-70 to Exit 254 (Genesee Park Exit) or Exit 253 (Chief Hosa Exit).

1 Completed 1 Reviews

This trail is amazing. It is easily my favorite. It has everything that you can love in a hike. It gives you the perfect exposure to the elements while still making you work up a sweat. It also shifts you through varying stages of nature. One minute you are winding in between trees and giant rock walls, treading rocky paths that fall off, and the next moment you are balancing and crossing a rushing brook. Next thing you know, you are in a small field of blossoming flowers with broad pine trees at the perimeter. Often you feel you are the only one experiencing the trek....these areas. This hike gives you that euphoria of exploration. Everyone you pass is smiling, because this is such an incredible hike. It'll also make you work for it. If you want a better workout you would probably want to start at the Chavez side of the loop and end on Beaver Brook. That ascent would be pretty hard. I started from the Beaver Brook side as most people do because of the parking lot right next to it. It gave me a great workout going that way. I don't know when I'll try going the Chavez side first. I loved this trail and will be going back many many times. I can't wait to show my friends.

3 Completed 1 Reviews

This is a great one. the only reason I give it 4 and nit 5 is because I had the impression it will be easier (especially for kids). We hiked them in Sunday. Even though it was above 95 in Denver it was cool and nice along most of the trail. More than 85% shade, cool and water crossings for refreshing.
It is steeper than I expected. I'd recommend to start the loop with the left side (southern side), but we saw people coming from both directions.
A few tips:
Bring plenty of water.
If you do it with kids (we had 3, ages 4-8) it will take about 4 hours (including stops and plunges in the water).
When you get with the car to the upper parking lot, and the sign says "no parking beyond this spot", well there's parking. If you get early enough you'll have no problems (we got there at 10 am and there was still plenty).

Overall a great short hike really close to home.

2 Completed 2 Reviews

Very nice hike. I took it on a warm summer day and the weather was awesome. Shade throughout the whole hike, dog friendly but they need to be on leash because there are some rocky areas and it is a popular trial, I recommend the loop it has some really cool water crossings. Very close to Denver. Great hike!

3 Completed 3 Reviews

Great hike! A lot of cool information at the start of the hike about the nature around you and what you'll experience during the hike.

2 Completed 1 Reviews

A great trail when it is hot and or windy as there is plenty of shade/protection throughout the hike. You catch the Beaver Brook trail after walking a short distance along the Nature Trail (river will eventually show itself on your right as you hike in this direction). Gradual downhill to meet the river at your first crossing at the 1.5 mile mark; only minor trick is that when you hit the signage indicating Nature Trail 1.5 mile back the way you just hiked or Windy Saddle 6 miles to the right, walk straight down toward the river to pick up the trail again. From there it is multiple river crossings and some uphill to finish the loop, all in all a very nice hike.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Beautiful hike! It follows the river for most of it. We had to cross the river six times which were a little tricky with wet logs. Great spots along the way to stop for lunch along the river!

10 Completed 2 Reviews

One of my favorite "backyard " runs. Steep downhill, easy cruise with several creative creek crossings in the spring, then steep uphill. Or you can continue about 7 miles to Boettcher mansion.

14 Completed 3 Reviews

Trail was blocked due to high water but it is still a great hike. The weather was perfect for Me and my dog. Most of the trail is easy with a few moderate spots

1 Completed 2 Reviews

Great trail. It was blocked off by water after 1.5 miles. But it owned up to its moderately difficult rating. River at the end was great!

1 Completed 2 Reviews