Beaver Brook /Chavez trail loop

#1 of 3 trails in Genesee Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

3.85 mile loop with multiple stream crossings and about 1100 ft of elevation gain round trip.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Andrew Miller (52)

4 Completed2 Reviews

Sofia Contreras (63)

2 Completed2 Reviews

A little dry, not much too see except for the creek.

Kelsey Wagner (330)

4 Completed2 Reviews

Amazing hike. Multiple creek crossings made the hike very exciting. 50/50 shade to sun, very good hike for a hot day. We even dipped in the cool creek and it felt amazing!

Rachel Weiman (83)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Great trail for being close to drive to from Denver. The valley was amazing, but not much mountain views. You descend down to the brook and cross it multiple times and then have quite a trek on the way up and can get pretty steep. Loved the quick hike though!

Tyler Walker (593)

14 Completed4 Reviews

This was a beautiful hike- very quiet and peaceful. Crossed the stream several times (although Ghost-busters say you should not), I lost my balance at one point and my right foot landed in the water. Lots of fun and great photo opportunities :)

Gail Murray (186)

5 Completed1 Reviews

I loved this hike! I enjoy any sort of hike that has good coverage from the sun, and this trail provides tree coverage about 95% of the way.

As others have said, the trails can get a little confusing as signage isn't always very clear. I started out at the Chavez trailhead and came to the sign indicating 6 miles to Windy Saddle if I turned right, and 1.5 miles to another trailhead if I took the left.
I followed the sign to the left and conveniently this trail did loop me back around almost to the Chavez trailhead where I started. You come out at an open area with restrooms, and if you follow the gravel road up, you will turn right and end up at the Chavez trailhead/parking area.

Taylor Walker (305)

11 Completed5 Reviews

Overall, a very pretty hike. Moderate difficulty due to the stream crossings. Hiking poles definitely help while crossing. We went during a dry spell and still managed to dunk a leg in over a log crossing. If it's been raining or fresh snow-melt, I imagine it would be more difficult still. This is a very easy to get to place, and very quickly you leave the sounds of the traffic behind you into a nice immersive hike. Very shaded through out most of it and heavily wooded. Still plenty of picture opportunities that make you want to take it a little slower and enjoy it rather than speed through it.

Cons:
The trail heads are a bit confusing. You can start out on Chavez or Beaver Brook and go clockwise or counterclockwise. The map on this website VS the map when you are at the trail head differ. The loop is not indicated on the Trail Head map/sign which shows that the trail goes straight from the head into golden as a point to point.
The Y intersection of where the 2 loop trails and the trail into Golden intersect can be very easy to miss.

Support