Beaver Brook /Chavez trail loop

#1 of 3 trails in Genesee Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Loved it best yet.

Genesee Park is 20 miles west of Denver on I-70 to Exit 254 (Genesee Park Exit) or Exit 253 (Chief Hosa Exit).

4 Completed 3 Reviews

I like the views on MT Galbraith and I see deer quite a bit and way better views... we sometimes go off trail to the top and get a great view of both N and S Table Mts and Coors Brewery...Also great view of Lariat Loop on Lookout Mt... almost 360 degree views Usually takes 2 hrs from Nightbird trail in a Golden Subdivision to the loop and back about 5+ miles. thinking of doing it sunday to see the us pro bike riders down Lookout Mt.

2 Completed 0 Reviews

I really enjoyed this hike. It has nice views, but know they aren't "spectacular" compared with some at higher elevations and deeper into the Rockies. That being said, I like being in the woods and seeing the different ecosystems. I saw some wildlife including a hand full of squirrels, a bunch of birds and a snake... Considering I went in the late morning and early afternoon (pretty much a horrible time for wildlife viewing!) I think that Is fair. The creek crossings keep you on your toes a bit. And the climb certainly got my heart pumping in the end. It was a Monday when I went, and I only saw 4 other people. Took me 2 hours to complete.

Brian Gillogly

13 Completed 12 Reviews

My son and I were checking this out for a Cub Scout pack hike. We really enjoyed the trail, but I definitely would not recommend it for that. Not the full loop any way. There is a nice little picnic area with informational signs at the beginning of the Beaver Brook side. The signs are also in braille! Plenty of shade, lots of cool sites, especially in the ravine where it switches over from Beaver Brook to Chavez trail. Didn't see very much at all as far as wildlife goes. Maybe we'll see more in the future. Yeah, bring plenty of water and make sure your phone/camera has plenty of battery for pictures!

15 Completed 2 Reviews

great hike close to Denver, was a little crowded but beautiful!

Icon_a6fc8789c6eaf78575ebe431de1f3508

2 Completed 2 Reviews

Great trail with wildlife prevalent. Just be careful not to end up on Windy Saddle trail if you're not prepared. We were told to stay on b/b signs and ended up a few miles into Windy Saddle. My fault in the end, should have looked at the trail map myself. Regardless, it's a great loop..I've done it multiple times and it's very close to Golden. Right off of 70 and I'd take the exit after Genesee Park and get on Stapleton Dr. Very easy to find. There's a part of the road that says "no parking after this point", that's wrong. You can park right by the trail head.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

This trail is amazing. It is easily my favorite. It has everything that you can love in a hike. It gives you the perfect exposure to the elements while still making you work up a sweat. It also shifts you through varying stages of nature. One minute you are winding in between trees and giant rock walls, treading rocky paths that fall off, and the next moment you are balancing and crossing a rushing brook. Next thing you know, you are in a small field of blossoming flowers with broad pine trees at the perimeter. Often you feel you are the only one experiencing the trek....these areas. This hike gives you that euphoria of exploration. Everyone you pass is smiling, because this is such an incredible hike. It'll also make you work for it. If you want a better workout you would probably want to start at the Chavez side of the loop and end on Beaver Brook. That ascent would be pretty hard. I started from the Beaver Brook side as most people do because of the parking lot right next to it. It gave me a great workout going that way. I don't know when I'll try going the Chavez side first. I loved this trail and will be going back many many times. I can't wait to show my friends.

4 Completed 1 Reviews

This is a great one. the only reason I give it 4 and nit 5 is because I had the impression it will be easier (especially for kids). We hiked them in Sunday. Even though it was above 95 in Denver it was cool and nice along most of the trail. More than 85% shade, cool and water crossings for refreshing.
It is steeper than I expected. I'd recommend to start the loop with the left side (southern side), but we saw people coming from both directions.
A few tips:
Bring plenty of water.
If you do it with kids (we had 3, ages 4-8) it will take about 4 hours (including stops and plunges in the water).
When you get with the car to the upper parking lot, and the sign says "no parking beyond this spot", well there's parking. If you get early enough you'll have no problems (we got there at 10 am and there was still plenty).

Overall a great short hike really close to home.

2 Completed 2 Reviews

Very nice hike. I took it on a warm summer day and the weather was awesome. Shade throughout the whole hike, dog friendly but they need to be on leash because there are some rocky areas and it is a popular trial, I recommend the loop it has some really cool water crossings. Very close to Denver. Great hike!

3 Completed 3 Reviews

Great hike! A lot of cool information at the start of the hike about the nature around you and what you'll experience during the hike.

2 Completed 1 Reviews

A great trail when it is hot and or windy as there is plenty of shade/protection throughout the hike. You catch the Beaver Brook trail after walking a short distance along the Nature Trail (river will eventually show itself on your right as you hike in this direction). Gradual downhill to meet the river at your first crossing at the 1.5 mile mark; only minor trick is that when you hit the signage indicating Nature Trail 1.5 mile back the way you just hiked or Windy Saddle 6 miles to the right, walk straight down toward the river to pick up the trail again. From there it is multiple river crossings and some uphill to finish the loop, all in all a very nice hike.

Support