Blodgett Peak

MODERATE
#26 of 136 trails in Pike National Forest
Blodgett Peak is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Colorado Springs, CO and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and snowshoeing and is accessible from May until September.

hiking snowshoeing walking
Hide Map

RJ Harvey

2 Completed2 Reviews

A tough little trail, the rock gets loose and slippery on the second half up. Trail is sufficiently marked with cairns, but I can imagine it would be hard to keep when it snows. Walking sticks are a must at least for me, and I still fell a few times

J Silence

2 Completed1 Reviews

Good for trail running.

Jonathan Herrera

2 Completed1 Reviews

99% up hill, super steep grades and a trail that becomes harder to follow as you go up; very easy to lose. This is one trail where you are REALLY gonna need a walking stick.

Check the weather before hand too. "Cloudy with a 20% chance of rain" turned into a near hour long blizzard I was not prepared for and had to turn around. And so close to the top too! Completely lost the trail coming down in the snow, found myself at the precipice of a cliff, and ended up having to back track back up in the near white out. Fell on my ass repeatedly on the very steep grades, especially the loose dirt ones. My knees were killing me before the bottom.

Rated as Moderate but I've been up Barr Trail, and this is def much tougher. Not much to see on the way up, though. It'll be a while before I do this one agian.

Mel C

23 Completed1 Reviews

This hike will definitely challenge you if you are not an experienced hiker. Parts of the trail were completely indiscernible. This was partly because of the snow but I'm pretty sure that some of the cairns were knocked down once you get further up. I would not recommend taking small children on this hike. It is very steep, lots of gravel, and you need to be prepared for bouldering, especially if you lose the trail in parts. All that aside, it is a lot of fun and the views from the top are beautiful!

Randy Culp

5 Completed5 Reviews

Great hike, from IN and was out to see our son at the academy 2 weeks ago. We flew in the day before and attacked it with the attitude with we will go as far as we can. Made it all the way to the peak thru the boulder field. On the way down we discovered we needed to stay left of the boulders on the way up, right on the way down. Physically this was one of the most challenging things we have done in 2 decades but was so worth it. If your not ready to do it today I highly recommend take a month or so and get yourself ready and just do it.

Randy Culp

5 Completed5 Reviews

James Winders

6 Completed7 Reviews

Nice area, we ended up going off trail and following the creek up. It was nice!

Stephen Allaby

40 Completed29 Reviews

This is arguably the most difficult hike I've done. Its a long hike. Its a steep hike. And the trail not always well warn or marked. That said, the views at the top are so worth the time and energy.

Rob McAnally

3 Completed2 Reviews

As said elsewhere, the trails, particularly if you want to go all the way to the summit, are very poorly marked. We went to the top in 2014, right after the area had been reopened from the fires, so maybe the trails had not been used enough to be easily seen. And, prepare for some significant bouldering, and steep, gravel trails. A good hiking stick will help. And band aids.

Wifey and I are doing it again this morning 9/4/15). We'll see how it is now.

Paul Blum

1 Completed1 Reviews

The trails are not very well marked. It can be a pretty dangerous hike if you do not stick to the trail. There is a gravelly trail next to the boulder field that makes it easier, but I do not think it is possible to do this hike without bouldering at least for a little. It was a pretty nice, especially for taking people a long.

Mike Ruman

5 Completed1 Reviews

A bit crazy in the rock fields. As I was on my descent, by the waterfall, I came around a corner and ran into a momma bear and her two cubs. The Cubs ran up the tree and the momma hopped on two legs, paws up, and started growling at me. Scared the crud out of me. I had to Bushwhack to get around them. So, be careful!

Daniel Moyer

12 Completed12 Reviews

Ron McComb

1 Completed1 Reviews

I seem to have taken a different route from the reviews below. It took a few attempts and the advice of a neighbor who told me how to ascend the peak to find the correct path. We took the trail up to the 30' water fall with the pool at the bottom. The hike here is a good destination point, but it is difficult. From there we followed the trail to the top. The only way up was via a boulder field, but we choose to explore the north side of the peak...some very rugged country. We came down the boulder field which is very dangerous, and we never came across any large scree fields. My neighbor did say to not follow all of the red ribbons since some were place in error. To get to the falls, you need to scale up the trail using roots as handles where one is tempted to cross the creek. After 20 feet of climbing you hit a very nice trail. The trail should not be closed as suggested below. It is great for training to go up 14ers, but wear boots, take poles, pay attention, and take a buddy. Very easy to get seriously injured. Very difficult hike. For experienced climbers and not for the meek or unfit.

Hannah H.

Bob K.

Cosmic Phaddy

A good leg stretcher.

Ganga Autoimmuner

10 Completed10 Reviews

I love this park and hike, but the trail after AFA property is sketchy. I also think there are new rules in place about hiking on AFA property. Scree field was a no-go because I have no ACL, but loved the hike.

Stanley Leonard

1 Completed1 Reviews

Could have been because we were off trail but the approach to the summit is quite challenging with a steep grade on a gravel surface. We took hummingbird trail and followed pink ribbon markers up the rest of the way. Lots of erosion from previous hikers and uneasy footing. More of an uphill scramble than a hike for us with multiple slips and falls going both up and down due to the gravel and loose dirt.

Robbie Queen

3 Completed3 Reviews

This was an awesome and wonderful hike. It was tons of work but very rewarding. We maybe weren't the most prepared for this hike and did it a bit haphazard. One thing is that we ascending the wrong way. We took a trial that brought us around the north side of mountain. This caused us to ascend on some really steep terrain with some very loose scree. Fortunately, we went down the right way which was much easier and but still a very steep route. To avoid getting lost, make sure to stay in the valley on south side of the peak. Also, just after you pass a sign that has an arrow to Blodgett Peak, an arrow to private property and an arrow to the parking, make sure you take the path to the right. This was an amazing peak and an excellent workout. It makes the Incline look easy. The view is also freaking amazing, you can see all of Colorado Springs and beyond.

Regina Hammond

7 Completed4 Reviews

My first trip up ... I took Hummingbird Trail which was very nice to the end before you head up and start the real trail. For about .25 miles it was nice single track in the woods then it got plain ridiculous. I read the review below about the scree but didn't realize the scree was the entire trail to the summit. I thought perhaps 50 meters withs some bouldering. The trail was very difficult to follow - I saw maybe 4 pink ribbons which were slightly helpful except for the fact that they ended and then I wasn't sure if there just weren't any more or if i was off the trail. It didn't matter, the only way up was a gigantic incline of loose rocks. I like a challenge and the full body climbing was fun in its own way - but when i realized that was all there was to the trail to the very top I lost interest. I didn't listen to the reviewer who said to not wear sneakers; i had trail running shoes on. I recommend small gaiters, long sleeves and pants since you will get scratched from climbing over fallen trees and will rely on pulling yourself up through the loose gravel by holding on to rocks and roots. I started late in the day and didn't want to spend very long on the trip down. THe trip down was essentially sliding through rock slides , crawling down on my butt over a field of boulders and more sliding. I think this trail should be CLOSED simply for the fact that it cannot be good for erosion and the health of the ecosystem. Another danger is if someone is in front of/ higher than you. Someone was on their way down as i was heading up and loose rocks came flying down. Not safe.