Blodgett Peak

#27 of 207 trails in Pike National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Blodgett Peak is a 6.4 mile out and back trail located near Colorado Springs, Colorado. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from June until August.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Mike Ruman (150)

4 Completed1 Reviews

A bit crazy in the rock fields. As I was on my descent, by the waterfall, I came around a corner and ran into a momma bear and her two cubs. The Cubs ran up the tree and the momma hopped on two legs, paws up, and started growling at me. Scared the crud out of me. I had to Bushwhack to get around them. So, be careful!

Daniel Moyer (145)

10 Completed10 Reviews

Ron McComb (76)

1 Completed1 Reviews

I seem to have taken a different route from the reviews below. It took a few attempts and the advice of a neighbor who told me how to ascend the peak to find the correct path. We took the trail up to the 30' water fall with the pool at the bottom. The hike here is a good destination point, but it is difficult. From there we followed the trail to the top. The only way up was via a boulder field, but we choose to explore the north side of the peak...some very rugged country. We came down the boulder field which is very dangerous, and we never came across any large scree fields. My neighbor did say to not follow all of the red ribbons since some were place in error. To get to the falls, you need to scale up the trail using roots as handles where one is tempted to cross the creek. After 20 feet of climbing you hit a very nice trail. The trail should not be closed as suggested below. It is great for training to go up 14ers, but wear boots, take poles, pay attention, and take a buddy. Very easy to get seriously injured. Very difficult hike. For experienced climbers and not for the meek or unfit.

Hannah H. (82)

Bob K. (89)

Cosmic Phaddy (83)

A good leg stretcher.

Ganga Autoimmuner (165)

10 Completed10 Reviews

I love this park and hike, but the trail after AFA property is sketchy. I also think there are new rules in place about hiking on AFA property. Scree field was a no-go because I have no ACL, but loved the hike.

Stanley Leonard (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Could have been because we were off trail but the approach to the summit is quite challenging with a steep grade on a gravel surface. We took hummingbird trail and followed pink ribbon markers up the rest of the way. Lots of erosion from previous hikers and uneasy footing. More of an uphill scramble than a hike for us with multiple slips and falls going both up and down due to the gravel and loose dirt.

Robbie Queen (263)

3 Completed3 Reviews

This was an awesome and wonderful hike. It was tons of work but very rewarding. We maybe weren't the most prepared for this hike and did it a bit haphazard. One thing is that we ascending the wrong way. We took a trial that brought us around the north side of mountain. This caused us to ascend on some really steep terrain with some very loose scree. Fortunately, we went down the right way which was much easier and but still a very steep route. To avoid getting lost, make sure to stay in the valley on south side of the peak. Also, just after you pass a sign that has an arrow to Blodgett Peak, an arrow to private property and an arrow to the parking, make sure you take the path to the right. This was an amazing peak and an excellent workout. It makes the Incline look easy. The view is also freaking amazing, you can see all of Colorado Springs and beyond.

Regina G. (79)

My first trip up ... I took Hummingbird Trail which was very nice to the end before you head up and start the real trail. For about .25 miles it was nice single track in the woods then it got plain ridiculous. I read the review below about the scree but didn't realize the scree was the entire trail to the summit. I thought perhaps 50 meters withs some bouldering. The trail was very difficult to follow - I saw maybe 4 pink ribbons which were slightly helpful except for the fact that they ended and then I wasn't sure if there just weren't any more or if i was off the trail. It didn't matter, the only way up was a gigantic incline of loose rocks. I like a challenge and the full body climbing was fun in its own way - but when i realized that was all there was to the trail to the very top I lost interest. I didn't listen to the reviewer who said to not wear sneakers; i had trail running shoes on. I recommend small gaiters, long sleeves and pants since you will get scratched from climbing over fallen trees and will rely on pulling yourself up through the loose gravel by holding on to rocks and roots. I started late in the day and didn't want to spend very long on the trip down. THe trip down was essentially sliding through rock slides , crawling down on my butt over a field of boulders and more sliding. I think this trail should be CLOSED simply for the fact that it cannot be good for erosion and the health of the ecosystem. Another danger is if someone is in front of/ higher than you. Someone was on their way down as i was heading up and loose rocks came flying down. Not safe.

Support