Carpenter Peak Trail

#3 of 5 trails in Roxborough State Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Carpenter Peak Trail is a 6.4 mile out and back trail located near Littleton, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking & trail running and is accessible from March until November.

Icon_c50637f87ed2de1eade41ccccf1c2585

51 Completed 23 Reviews

Hiked this on a hot June day. Nice hike, good climb to the top, but its spread out over 3 miles, so is not too bad. If you've done South Rim and found it too easy, this will provide more challenge. Great views from top... it was a clear day, so I could see for miles and miles, toward Denver on one side of the peak, and out to the mountains on the other.

Icon_

9 Completed 2 Reviews

This was the first time to ROXBOROUGH State Park . I hike 3 trails with Carpenter peak being the last of the day. The trail still had some ice and mud in spots, but that just part of the fun. Nice hike . I counted 28 people on the trail with 8 more at the top. Great views. I will do it again.

2 Completed 1 Reviews

Good hike to the Peak. Took me about an hour from the Roxborough State Park visitors center. I have uploaded several photos. Beautiful views all the way up. Worth the trip. :)

Icon_

6 Completed 3 Reviews

Great hike!! provides shade!!! didn't see any bikers. beautiful view at the top! but the best view is once you reach the peak... So
if that's what you are looking for dont turn around early. great workout.

Allen Hild

2 Completed 1 Reviews

Very nice trail, well maintained. A bit narrow at spots, but easily navigable. Really pleasant morning hike with good shady spots. Picturesque views of Roxborough with Denver in the distance.

8 Completed 4 Reviews

Really nice trail - the elevation gain is slow and steady making for a moderate hike. We saw quite a few deer and the views are great throughout the hike.

Parts of the trail warm up and can be muddy, while others were shaded and snowy so be prepared with layers and proper footwear. Near 360 views at the peak were great - and made for a nice place to sit and soak it all in.

Overall, a moderate hike that wasn't too strenuous with nice views. We started a little after 10 am on a Saturday and didn't see too many people and had the summit to ourselves. On the way down we saw more people coming up side it was later. Costs 7.00 to get into the park.

7 Completed 3 Reviews

Did this trail in February. Due to lots of traffic combined with ice and mud the trail was very slippery and slow. Views were pretty good but would recommend waiting till late Spring thru Early Fall to hike this one.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Loved this hike. Rated a difficult by park. It was not all that hard. The views were awesome.

Icon_60b97bff0f29f10b2bebddf24729a805

11 Completed 9 Reviews

Nice hike in mid spring when the wildflowers are blooming. Get there early to avoid the crowds on weekends. Nice views of downtown Denver From the top. If you want a little more of a challenge you can take the powerline trail back, which I did both times I hiked this. Adds a little more distance to the hike.

Jeff Sirovatka

3 Completed 7 Reviews

So, I saw reviews saying it's not easy at all and others saying it was not enough of a challenge. I call it a hike. It's a slow steady climb to the peak, nothing techincal, nothing like a nature walk. It's an "out and back", we tried to continue on but would have ended up turning it into an all day excursion, and we didn't have the necessary provisions. The only wildlife we saw were lizards and a deer. But the raw tonnage of lizards equalled what I've seen on other hikes. Not alot of shade on this one, but beautiful scenery throughout the hike, and the view from the peak is great. It's only 30-40 minutes from Denver, I'd say it's worth it, but go early to avoid the people and the heat.

Support