Centennial Cone Trail

#1 of 1 trails in jefferson county open space

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Centennial Cone Trail is a 16 mile loop trail located near Golden, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, mountain biking & trail running and is accessible from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

James Manuel (64)

19 Completed1 Reviews

The Mayhem Gulch trail is nice, but if you're looking for pure nature, may not be that impressive as you can see and/or hear Hwy.6 for most of it. The Juniper Trail, however, is a beautiful hike through trees with solid views across Clear Creek Canyon toward James Peak and Mt. Bancroft. It meets up with the Travois Trail in a beautiful, quiet meadow with commanding views of Centennial Cone. The Elk Range Trail offers a great walk through a large meadow. Didn't complete the whole thing, as the entire loop (including the whole Travois Trail) is over 12 miles. But I thoroughly enjoyed the roughly 1/4th of the park I hiked. The Travois Trail itself is over 7 miles long. Watch out for mountain bikers during the week coming up behind you. Or, to avoid them altogether, hike on an odd-numbered weekend day. I went on a Monday, and saw a handful of hikers and mountain bikers. It's a pretty good park for solitude, at least on a Monday.

Susan Hutchinson (2280)

74 Completed45 Reviews

One of the last hikes I did w/puppy Mya. We hiked till it got dark. beautiful sunset. We both love this hike. Only ones on this trail that late. I will so miss her!

Cathy Harris (350)

8 Completed5 Reviews

This is great trail for running and strolling. Deceivingly challenging, because it appears to roll up and down. Good for endurance, but very little shade on the first part. Dang! It gets hot! Bring lots of water and sunscreen!

Michael Miller (172)

7 Completed3 Reviews

I usually use this trail to get in shape. It works the legs mountain biking, but can be a bit long. 2 hours for the loop. I've been here many times before but it seems like part of the trail has been closed making me have to reverse the loop after riding 75% of it. There are only a few technical sections in this trail. Use it to practice for the hard stuff.

Tara Christman Robbins (254)

12 Completed4 Reviews

The kiddos and I hiked this yesterday. We started wit the Travois Trail. My hubby has biked this before and told us if we were going to do the entire trail it was best to start here. But we also did a side loop of Juniper Trail and part of Mayhem Gulch. That adds an extra 1.6 miles to this already VERY long trail. I would say bring water, if you think you have enough bring more! Also, snacks were in order for the kids. We also took the Evening Sun Loop (another .7 miles) total it was 13.7 miles. It took us aprox 5.30 hours to hike this. we saw deer, lizards, a rabbit and heard lots of birds. The kids enjoyed it immensely from looking at all the bugs (my son who is 17 and my daughter who is 11 fell in love with these huge fuzzy caterpillars that were munching on leaves) The trail wasn't too hard but there were some steep parts and near the end the road is fairly rocky. We will hike this again...though only when kids are out of school

Sarah Law (1676)

27 Completed6 Reviews

Beautiful trail but too long for me to do as an after work ride. Had we started from the upper lot, we wouldn't have had to finish the ride in the dark.

Mindy Williford (1016)

36 Completed19 Reviews

Pretty awesome system of trails, I took the Travios Trail to the Elk Meadow Trail for an approximately 11 mile hiking loop. Fairly rewarding views but hot, hot, hot if taking a mid-day hike. Recommended for early morning or evening.

Jeff Fowler (208)

3 Completed3 Reviews

This trail is a great trail. I ride it all the time from the Mayhem Gulch side. Its great for after work ride that you only have about and hour or so to ride. It is not a very technical trail at all but there can be some features if you look for them.

Wayne Smith (96)

1 Completed1 Reviews

This is an alternate use trail, due to the popularity. On the weekends, hiker's can use the trail on even days and bikes on odd days. Use on the wrong day can lead to a fine. This rule is weekend only.

Support