Centennial Cone Trail

#2 of 2 trails in jefferson county open space
Centennial Cone Trail is a 16 mile loop trail located near Golden, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, mountain biking & trail running and is accessible from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

16.0 miles Loop
Kid Friendly Dog Friendly
hiking mountain biking trail running bugs dogs leash kids
Hide Map

Centennial Cone Park is one of the largest parks in the Jefferson County Open Space system. The park offers visitors a vast, back country-type experience. When setting out to enjoy this expansive park, plan accordingly for your own health and safety.

* Have adequate water -there is no drinking water available on the park
* Be prepared for changing weather conditions; a cool, overcast morning could rapidly change into a beating sun and warm temperatures by mid-day. Afternoon thunderstorms are frequent from spring into fall, and there could even be snow in July.
* Limited shade exists; wear a hat and use sunscreen. Many of the trails have little or no shade. This is good to melt snow and dry out trails in the late fall and early spring, but it can make your trail experience more intense. Another reason to have adequate water.
* Travel with a friend. Because of the size of the park, it is recommended that you visit Centennial Cone Park with a trail buddy. Or at least let someone know when you are leaving and expect to return.
* Carry a cell phone; always a good tip whenever you are enjoying a Jefferson County Open Space park, however realize that reception may not be available in all areas.
* Understand what to do if you encounter a bear or mountain lion. Taking part in trail activities in a natural setting, you assume liability for all risks associated with visiting this Open Space area. Be aware that bears and mountain lions live in this area. Wildlife Encounter Information is provided by the Colorado Division of Wildlife and Open Space.

Sen Subramaniam

29 Completed6 Reviews

Jesse P.

I did this trail with my girlfriend the second week of October, on a weekday. We started off at the west entrance, i.e. Douglas Mtn Road, and did the Elk Range to Travois loop. My watch registered 12.4 miles total, with 1900 ft of elevation gain. It took us about 4.5 hours, which included a stop for lunch.

The trail was great and very quiet, we saw 4 people total. There were views of beautiful wide open meadows, steep canyons, and some creek crossings. I would definitely recommend this hike as a metro area day trip.

As far as difficulty goes, it was an easy 12.4 mile hike, not an easy hike. Realize that the distance is on the long side for a day hike, set aside 4+ hours, and take it easy and enjoy the solitude and views. The elevation gain was minimal and spread out, I enjoyed the gradual ups and downs. It was a hike I would take my ambitious sea level friends on.

Lastly, I think this is a great trail for a runners to get in some long slow distance. I definitely will head back out to run it.

Joshua Colky

20 Completed9 Reviews

Did the first mile and a half of the loop today - the weather was perfect and the views were excellent. Amazing outcroppings of rock and foothills surround this winding, steady, easy trail. Definitely a fun one to take first-timers who want a good view of the foothills! We had fun!

Cassie Jones

8 Completed5 Reviews

I did the 12.4 mile loop today parking at the Douglas Mountain Rd. parking lot. I left at 8 am and started clockwise. The Elk Range trail which I started on was basically 3.5 miles of a dirt road, which I don't always love hiking on but the views were pretty. Once I reached Traver's trail I was very pleased. It was beautiful and I could not have picked a better day. The weather never got too hot. I would rate this trail as easy. I never had to climb very much but due to it being 12 miles I guess I didn't mind. I completed the loop by 12:15. All in all it was a rewarding hike and great for beginners looking to get in some miles

Z. Dombrowski

3 Completed3 Reviews

Ashley Coffey

21 Completed3 Reviews

My husband and I did the Elk Range to Travois Trail loop on Sunday, July 19, for a total of 12.4 miles. It rained most of the day, especially since we got a late start (my husband is not a "morning person," to say the least), but it was a beautiful, very rewarding hike. The section of the Travois Trail overlooking Clear Creek Canyon is absolutely breathtaking, and the wildflowers were in full bloom! We saw many asters, daisies, succulents, paintbrushes, phlox, and thistles. For a very short drive (less than an hour) from Denver, we felt some distance from the city and encountered a pretty wide variety of ecosystems, from a deep pine forest to rolling plains brimming with flowers to a rocky incline. This hike was easy, but made more difficult by the mileage: 12 miles is not THAT easy a feat for non-marathoners!

We did encounter a prairie rattlesnake during the last 2 miles on the ridgeline overlooking the canyon as the sun came out. I imagine he was tired of the rain as well and just wanted to sun himself on a nice rock, but we stomped and threw things on the ground next to him until he slithered away. Poor little guy.

Overall, I'd give this hike a very unexpected 6.5-7/10. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did, but it was not crowded like so many other parks in Jeffco on a weekend, and offers a lot of beautiful scenery for minimal effort/drivetime.

Matt Gardner

1 Completed1 Reviews

My wife and I hiked the 12+ mile loop Travois Trail/Elk Range Trail. Aside from the length, the trail was relatively easy. It was also one of the most beautiful ones. The wildflowers were gorgeous and the views (Rte 6 notwithstanding) were spectacular. You need to be aware of the alternate use weekend deal, but we were there on a hiker only Sunday and it seemed as if we had the whole park to ourselves. I am anxious to go back and do the trail the opposite way. Truly, a great hike and a great day.

Andy Benson

12 Completed1 Reviews

Jeff Martin

1 Completed1 Reviews

Carissa Black

14 Completed8 Reviews

Ugh. The trails at this location are closed all of December and January for hunting. (Also, be aware that on weekends odd days are for hikers and even days are for bikers).