Chief Ouray Mine

#2 of 134 trails in Uncompahgre National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Steep hike to beautiful secluded falls, overlook of Ouray, and famous mine

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Natalie Gowen (56)

1 Completed1 Reviews

A fabulous hike, however this is NOT a moderate hike if hiking with younger children. I would rate it close to difficult because of the narrowness of the trail and the steep drop offs. We did not make it to the mine because of the large amounts of shale lining the trail past the waterfall.

Our older children (10 and 12) handled it just fine, but our 3 and 4 year old don't have steady footing. They have climbed many steep trails, but the narrowness and rockiness of this trail combined with the steep drop offs on the switchbacks were too much. I would not attempt this again with such young kids.

We clocked 6 miles round trip to the waterfall (the mine was probably another .25 mile) from the end of 5th Avenue. Our mistake not to drive up to the Amphitheater camp ground.

ann baer (77)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Loved this hike. The waterfalls, gorgeous. Views of the town, wonderful. Exploring the abandoned mining shacks, very fun.

Justin Rickey (290)

6 Completed5 Reviews

This was an awesome trail. It, like most trails out of Ouray, is pretty extraneous since most of the trail is pretty steep. But the views are definitely worth it. You get to see the town from a vantage point like none other for starters. Not only that but you get to see the historic mine, machine shop, and lodge. There are also other mines you pass along the way. You also get to see the upper cascade fall up close. There are two trail heads for this trail.. One in town off of 5th street I believe and one at the amphitheater, which is where I started. Although it rained on us both on the way up and back down, it was definitely worth the hike.

Amber Holthus (528)

4 Completed1 Reviews

Beautiful! Amazing views from start to finish. I agree with the review that said not for those afraid of heights. Very steep and challenging but worth it!

Sergey Zelvenskiy (121)

1 Completed1 Reviews

This trail is absolutely amazing!

Support