Chimney Gulch

#1 of 2 trails in Colorow Mountain Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Chimney Gulch is a 7 mile out and back trail located near Golden, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Kathy Shaw (200)

15 Completed11 Reviews

Good work out but too many mountain bikers for me. Beautiful scenery and lovely wildflowers (deer too). I got caught in a rain storm at the top (started a little too late I guess) but made it back safely. Little cover, mostly exposed trail. I had a little trouble locating the trailhead but took a shot and parked where all the cars were and I was in the right place. Also hang gliders coming off the top before the rain came which was interesting to watch.

Cynthia Hendrickson (130)

3 Completed2 Reviews

This is our second trip up. Always expect mountain bikers, and check for mountain biking events, as you'll want to avoid this trail if one of those is on. Beautiful views, flora and fauna - mostly birds. First half or so is sunny, but becomes more shaded around the end of the second mile. Rated difficult mostly because of distance. We enjoyed it, and will return.

Lynn B. (62)

I loved the terrain, and the lower section is full of dozens of different wildflowers and all kinds of different birds. I really enjoyed that. But the number of mountain bikers that showed up in the late afternoon on a weekday was nothing short of ridiculous. Between 5 and 6:30 p.m. on a Tuesday, I had to step off the trail at least 35 or 40 times to get out of the way of mountain bikers. Not exactly the peaceful, serene nature hike I envisioned. I will not hike this trail again. There are 5 times more mountain bikers here than anywhere else I've hiked in the past 20 years. Absolutely not worth the hassle.

Travis heiderscheit (45)

10 Completed1 Reviews

Love the trail but the first time i hiked it last year I found a body and had to get the cops involved. Good spot outside golden to hike, not to hide a body.

Ryan Schultz (484)

9 Completed3 Reviews

The Chimney Gulch Trail to Lookout Mountain is quickly becoming an old standby. A friend and I went most recently on a week day during March. Though usually a rather crowded trail, popular with mountain bikers toward the bottom and families toward the top, we thankfully found the trail relatively empty. We did however run into a couple of precarious icy patches. I would highly recommend this trail so early in the season, but would advise caution if we have received any Spring snow storms.

Susan Hutchinson (2588)

79 Completed50 Reviews

Easy hiking trail. Why it is name Chimney Gulch Trail is beyond me. Started at 2pm, not many on the trail.

Brandon Miller (663)

12 Completed1 Reviews

Great trail! Got on the trail around 9am on a Sunday and didn't see anyone until the hallway point just before the first bridge. On the way down I passed a group about every 5min or so.

It was a clear day and could see out past Denver and DIA. The trail was 50% snowpack but pretty easy going. Lots of mud but that's to be expected this time of year.

My heelers enjoyed this hike as everyone on the trails were nice and so where their dogs. Mountain bikers were courteous and actually yielded to the dogs. That's hard to find.

Maxwell Boltinghouse (379)

15 Completed9 Reviews

Great trail. We got on to the trail fairly late in the day around 1:15 PM, in spite of that however it was pretty much empty due to the weather at the time (foggy, and partial snow). Really enjoyed the views and saw three elk perched on the side of the mountain waiting out the snow. Overall well worth the very short drive. Only downside is the parking on the lower trailhead is right off the side of the road so if you have dogs it can be a bit nerve racking getting unpacked and ready. There was sufficient snow to snowshoe but they were not needed. Used yaktrax on the way down it really made the decent easier.

Chris Aipperspach (351)

3 Completed2 Reviews

Loved this trail. We had a great time. Took dogs out for the first time with their hiking packs!

Michael Schon (335)

6 Completed5 Reviews

Great trail with some amazing views - pretty crowded with bikes and other hikers for a weekday but certainly worth it for the views alone. Many different options if you're not up for the full seven miles - makes a great sunset hike... Great trail with some amazing views - pretty crowded with bikes and other hikers for a weekday but certainly worth it for the views alone. Many different options if you're not up for the full seven miles - makes a great sunset hike...

Support