Dakota Ridge and Red Rocks Trail Loop

#1 of 1 trails in William F Hayden Green Mountain Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Dakota Ridge Trail is a 6.5 mile loop trail located near Lakewood, Colorado that offers scenic views. It is possible to link to Matthew Winters/Red Rocks trails to create a longer loop. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Take I-70 to Exit 259 and go south on County Road 93. The Stegosaurus Parking Lot is on the east side of the road, just south of I-70.

Colorado Tourism Office, 1625 Broadway, Suite 1700 , Denver, CO, 80202, Phone: 800-COLORADO

Person_placeholder

40 Completed 3 Reviews

Can be crowded but one of our favorites. Lots of mountain bikers though, that's why I didn't give it 5 stars!

8 Completed 2 Reviews

walked up this one with my family including for young kids with the scouts near dinosaur ridge, a few years ago

2 Completed 1 Reviews

First time here. Great trail run this morning! Trail was in good shape after the rain yesterday; just a few muddy spots but that was expected. The trail is definitely a moderate rating, some parts were pretty rocky and steep but overall not too bad. I was able to run the whole thing. Only negative I would have to say is due to the construction and part of the trail being closed, it is very hard to figure your way around the detours. There are detour signs but they get pretty confusing, so bring your phone with the trail map or know your way around the area well!

3 Completed 1 Reviews

Love this trail!!!

Person_placeholder

72 Completed 39 Reviews

For being Close to the Denver Metro Area its a good trail to get a work out, I started on the Zorro Trail and went up the ridge , Great views

Icon_

12 Completed 9 Reviews

I hit this trail right after work, it is a nice get away with great views. The trail begins at the entrance to the parking lot just on the right as you are turning in (not at the end of the parking lot which cuts up next to I-70). If you go clockwise you start with a climb to the top ridge. Once on the ridge I was wishing I had my taller hiking boots do to the rocks but really did not need them. When you come off from the road Dinosaur Ridge make sure to cross the county road and pick up the trail. My phone crashed and I kept looking for the trail on the east side of the road and walked back up the road to the parking lot. Once I charged my phone up I could see the trail was on the west side. Happy Trails

Icon_b007af7c4509241103c06e37c5ea2a7a

2 Completed 1 Reviews

I agree with previous reviewers in that it's a great hike, but the road/mountain bikers don't always (usually) call out, and there's quite a bit of foot traffic since it's so close to town. That said, it's SO close to my home that it's one of my favorite hikes when I just need to get out for a morning or afternoon escape. My second time there I found all 7 of the Geocaches I searched for (I was only looking for those 7) - most of which were challenging but not impossible. There are many, many more that I plan to find, a few at a time, as a distraction to the hysteria of my every-day life. :-)

Icon_9aa58466603931ed2af4ab540c92775c

4 Completed 4 Reviews

If you're going to ride this one you might want to go in the opposite direction than the map says. I went with the map and it was A LOT of uphill. Great ride with amazing scenery though. Just start clockwise and head east from the stegosaurus lot. Took me about 3 hours but like I said, I went the wrong way.

Icon_0d40d92c7bef193f5f92b3fd2694945c

14 Completed 7 Reviews

This trail is awesome. IF you know where you are going. I got lost a few times because you end up walking on a road a few times. Great scenery. It's just off I-70 so there were a lot of tourists and kids for some reason. It was not terribly hard but there were a few challenging areas. I was able to run quit a big if it. Along the 470 side is where it gets a little hairy. If you are going counter clockwise according to the map, it is ALL uphill!

21 Completed 9 Reviews

we thought this trail was great. just pay attention to the trail map to find your car afterwards.

Support