Dakota Ridge and Red Rocks Trail Loop

#1 of 1 trails in William F Hayden Green Mountain Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Dakota Ridge Trail is a 6.5 mile loop trail located near Lakewood, Colorado that offers scenic views. It is possible to link to Matthew Winters/Red Rocks trails to create a longer loop. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Brandi Wilson (371)

13 Completed13 Reviews

Pretty busy with bicyclists, but there are some great views. It's also a nice steady incline so your legs get a nice work out.

Christina Schroeder (94)

5 Completed3 Reviews

Some great views. Quite rocky in places. Not that crowded for a Saturday afternoon. Isn't quite clear where the trailhead is because it is not marked on the Stegosaurus lot side, but you can catch it at the bottom of the lot. Or you could park in the lot across the road. That's the only place we saw a trail marker. When you start the trail off of the Stegosaurus lot, you will see a post marker for the raptor station. Follow those signs and you will be on the right trail.

Note that if you do this loop you are going to have to cross the road twice. We crossed it once trying to find the trail. There is no crosswalk and the visibility is pretty poor. Go for it fast!

We did not do the loop because we did not want to cross the four lane road again. But we agree with the other reviewers who said coming down the trail was easier than going up. If you are doing the loop I might suggest starting on the Red Rocks trail instead of Dakota Ridge trail.

Saw a rattlesnake about 2 miles in. Heads up.

Craig L (159)

41 Completed5 Reviews

Can be crowded but one of our favorites. Lots of mountain bikers though, that's why I didn't give it 5 stars!

Jason Sprong (140)

8 Completed2 Reviews

walked up this one with my family including for young kids with the scouts near dinosaur ridge, a few years ago

Eric Brink (126)

2 Completed1 Reviews

First time here. Great trail run this morning! Trail was in good shape after the rain yesterday; just a few muddy spots but that was expected. The trail is definitely a moderate rating, some parts were pretty rocky and steep but overall not too bad. I was able to run the whole thing. Only negative I would have to say is due to the construction and part of the trail being closed, it is very hard to figure your way around the detours. There are detour signs but they get pretty confusing, so bring your phone with the trail map or know your way around the area well!

Keri Pabst (134)

3 Completed1 Reviews

Love this trail!!!

Troy Waters (1244)

91 Completed42 Reviews

For being Close to the Denver Metro Area its a good trail to get a work out, I started on the Zorro Trail and went up the ridge , Great views

Ronald Saunier (619)

12 Completed9 Reviews

I hit this trail right after work, it is a nice get away with great views. The trail begins at the entrance to the parking lot just on the right as you are turning in (not at the end of the parking lot which cuts up next to I-70). If you go clockwise you start with a climb to the top ridge. Once on the ridge I was wishing I had my taller hiking boots do to the rocks but really did not need them. When you come off from the road Dinosaur Ridge make sure to cross the county road and pick up the trail. My phone crashed and I kept looking for the trail on the east side of the road and walked back up the road to the parking lot. Once I charged my phone up I could see the trail was on the west side. Happy Trails

Colleen Murphy (184)

2 Completed1 Reviews

I agree with previous reviewers in that it's a great hike, but the road/mountain bikers don't always (usually) call out, and there's quite a bit of foot traffic since it's so close to town. That said, it's SO close to my home that it's one of my favorite hikes when I just need to get out for a morning or afternoon escape. My second time there I found all 7 of the Geocaches I searched for (I was only looking for those 7) - most of which were challenging but not impossible. There are many, many more that I plan to find, a few at a time, as a distraction to the hysteria of my every-day life. :-)

Zach Willmann (134)

4 Completed4 Reviews

If you're going to ride this one you might want to go in the opposite direction than the map says. I went with the map and it was A LOT of uphill. Great ride with amazing scenery though. Just start clockwise and head east from the stegosaurus lot. Took me about 3 hours but like I said, I went the wrong way.

Support