Devils Playground from the Crags

#16 of 207 trails in Pike National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

A good hike up the side of Pikes Peak to some interesting Rock formations.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Jyl Ley (108)

2 Completed2 Reviews

After being turned away at Mueller State Park, for strict no dog rules, we were instructed to come here! Very happy we did! Great gradual incline up to the boulder area with great views!
***Important: watch the skies, as the weather changes quickly here! We got caught in large thunder storm around noon on July 26th.

Jim Hall (1462)

19 Completed18 Reviews

We added this hike after completing the Crags trail. The trail is much steeper, but easy to manage. Only made it as far as the tree line before turning back. There were a number of people out on the trail as well, but not that bad. I want to make the summit next time!

R Grissom (128)

9 Completed3 Reviews

Good hike. Challenging, but worth it. However, I would NOT rate this hike as easy. It's uphill the entire way to the rock formations and very tricky footing in quite a few locations with loose rocks and gravel.

However there is a stream a good length of time near the trailhead and its absolutely peaceful. The view up top are beautiful and the people along the way are very nice and good company. I'd recommend starting the hike very early, especially if you want to summit Pike before weather hits. Also, being that it's in the west slope, you don't get sun for quite a while, dress warm! It was only 34* when we started and only 67* when we headed back down the trail.

Jennifer Braid (129)

13 Completed1 Reviews

We backpacked up to Devil's Playground to camp out for the Pikes Peak Hill Climb. The 4.5 hour estimate was about right for us carrying 40+ lbs each, but this is only to the Playground area. If you are planning to continue to the summit of Pikes peak, you have a few miles and another ~1300 ft in elevation to go from here. I'm guessing that's why people are disputing the time. Most importantly, keep an eye on the weather, and head down at the very first sight of trouble - the clouds can change and form very quickly here. We tried to stay later for the race, and got caught in lightning/hail above treeline. The cog railway has forecasting for the summit as well, while most services will only give you valley forecasts.

Milton Fried (37)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Derrick Mcclain (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Hiked 13 June 15...snowpack about 11,400 on up and trail about 40% covered for the last 3/4 mile to the summit. Snow held 180lbs fairly well.

Great views from just prior to tree line through the playground. Round trip 3+30 from the crags campground. Found the tundra rather slippy without spikes.

Stephen Allaby (703)

37 Completed27 Reviews

Great hike! However, we experienced the reason for the name and had to turn back - LIGHTNING!!!

Michelle Pearson (292)

5 Completed3 Reviews

Hiked September and Nov of 2012, altitude sickness the first time made it difficult to breath, no symptoms second time and was a spectacular climb. Took me WAY longer than many people post on here, but I am not from the mountains either and were my first high altitude climbs. So take your time, probably double it, if you are not from the mountains. Was snow and ice the second trip but still a wonderful hike and easy to follow if you stay on the trail! Just remember the way you started because on the way down, that seemed to be confusing as to where to get back to the trailhead near the end and there are a few aux paths near the campground at the lower elevation. Good trail conditions, steep, take hiking poles for the descent to protect your knees. NO cell service except for one breakthru spot about half way up.

Chuck M. (282)

Went up when there was to much snow on the ground and only got halfway up. The view was really nice though. Gonna do again when snow has melted.

Diane Reed (82)

4 Completed1 Reviews

Yikes! This hike is MUCH more difficult than I was expecting based on the description. I am an experienced amateur hiker & I found that this hike takes twice as long as was listed here, and the first several hours are a steep uphill grade (code word: laborious). Even though the final views are spectacular, my 7-year-old twins were utterly exhausted & cranky by that point. Yet they were able to complete The Crags trail all the way to the very end & back at the age of 5 without complaint. So my advice: be prepared to double the hiking time & reconsider whether you want to take children under 10 : )

Support