Devils Playground from the Crags

#15 of 207 trails in Pike National Forest
A good hike up the side of Pikes Peak to some interesting Rock formations.

6.08 miles Out & Back 2800 feet
Dog Friendly
hiking mountain biking horses dogs
Hide Map

From the parking lot you will see the sign for the Crags trailhead. Begin hiking down this trail. After a tenth of a mile you will see a sign on the right labeling trail 664A take this trail across a log bridge and begin your ascent. This trail will take you into a basin at the base of the peak, then it will aggressively gain elevation up to Devil's Playground. Parts of this trail are loose rock, but a group called Friends of the Peak are working on making this trail much more sustainable. As you ascend this steep section you will begin to get views of the Sawatch Range, Tenmile Range, Mosquito Range, and even the Sangre de Cristo Range. Take your time though as this hike is steep at times and reaches 13,000 feet of elevation.

Bobby Taylor

18 Completed17 Reviews

I really enjoyed this hike. I did this trail in Mid-October and there was snow from the start of the trailhead. That definitely made it more difficult than it would be in the summer. I was really glad I had some trekking poles or I would have ended up on my behind a couple of times... The trail gets very steep above the tree line but is still not too difficult. Have lots of water and you will have a great trip and see some amazing views!!

Prudence White

18 Completed1 Reviews

Unusually nice day for almost mid October. No snow, decent wind above tree line. The trail was easy to moderate, until above tree line then it was most definitely moderate hiking. Total time to get up, have a snack and get back was 3 1/2 hours.

R Mullins

4 Completed4 Reviews

Not my favorite hike in this area. It is a great workout going up from the Crags Trailhead, but I found the steepness of the grade, combined with uncertain footing on the loose rocks, to be especially taxing on these old knees. Very glad that I had hiking poles on the way down, and was still picking my way quite deliberately to keep from slipping and sliding.
Some spectacular views and great photo ops, and the formations once you top out in the Devil's Playground area really are dramatic, but I'll probably not be doing it again.

Jyl Ley

2 Completed2 Reviews

After being turned away at Mueller State Park, for strict no dog rules, we were instructed to come here! Very happy we did! Great gradual incline up to the boulder area with great views!
***Important: watch the skies, as the weather changes quickly here! We got caught in large thunder storm around noon on July 26th.

Jim Hall

27 Completed25 Reviews

We added this hike after completing the Crags trail. The trail is much steeper, but easy to manage. Only made it as far as the tree line before turning back. There were a number of people out on the trail as well, but not that bad. I want to make the summit next time!

R Grissom

13 Completed3 Reviews

Good hike. Challenging, but worth it. However, I would NOT rate this hike as easy. It's uphill the entire way to the rock formations and very tricky footing in quite a few locations with loose rocks and gravel.

However there is a stream a good length of time near the trailhead and its absolutely peaceful. The view up top are beautiful and the people along the way are very nice and good company. I'd recommend starting the hike very early, especially if you want to summit Pike before weather hits. Also, being that it's in the west slope, you don't get sun for quite a while, dress warm! It was only 34* when we started and only 67* when we headed back down the trail.

Jennifer Braid

13 Completed1 Reviews

We backpacked up to Devil's Playground to camp out for the Pikes Peak Hill Climb. The 4.5 hour estimate was about right for us carrying 40+ lbs each, but this is only to the Playground area. If you are planning to continue to the summit of Pikes peak, you have a few miles and another ~1300 ft in elevation to go from here. I'm guessing that's why people are disputing the time. Most importantly, keep an eye on the weather, and head down at the very first sight of trouble - the clouds can change and form very quickly here. We tried to stay later for the race, and got caught in lightning/hail above treeline. The cog railway has forecasting for the summit as well, while most services will only give you valley forecasts.

Milton Fried

1 Completed1 Reviews

Derrick Mcclain

1 Completed1 Reviews

Hiked 13 June 15...snowpack about 11,400 on up and trail about 40% covered for the last 3/4 mile to the summit. Snow held 180lbs fairly well.

Great views from just prior to tree line through the playground. Round trip 3+30 from the crags campground. Found the tundra rather slippy without spikes.

Stephen Allaby

38 Completed29 Reviews

Great hike! However, we experienced the reason for the name and had to turn back - LIGHTNING!!!