Devils Playground from the Crags

MODERATE
#15 of 137 trails in Pike National Forest
true
Devils Playground from the Crags is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Divide, CO and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

dog friendly hiking mountain biking horses
Hide Map

A good hike up the side of Pikes Peak to some interesting Rock formations. From the parking lot you will see the sign for the Crags trailhead. Begin hiking down this trail. After a tenth of a mile you will see a sign on the right labeling trail 664A take this trail across a log bridge and begin your ascent. This trail will take you into a basin at the base of the peak, then it will aggressively gain elevation up to Devil's Playground. Parts of this trail are loose rock, but a group called Friends of the Peak are working on making this trail much more sustainable. As you ascend this steep section you will begin to get views of the Sawatch Range, Tenmile Range, Mosquito Range, and even the Sangre de Cristo Range. Take your time though as this hike is steep at times and reaches 13,000 feet of elevation.

Bobby Taylor

20 Completed17 Reviews

I really enjoyed this hike. I did this trail in Mid-October and there was snow from the start of the trailhead. That definitely made it more difficult than it would be in the summer. I was really glad I had some trekking poles or I would have ended up on my behind a couple of times... The trail gets very steep above the tree line but is still not too difficult. Have lots of water and you will have a great trip and see some amazing views!!

Prudence White

16 Completed1 Reviews

Unusually nice day for almost mid October. No snow, decent wind above tree line. The trail was easy to moderate, until above tree line then it was most definitely moderate hiking. Total time to get up, have a snack and get back was 3 1/2 hours.

R Mullins

4 Completed4 Reviews

Not my favorite hike in this area. It is a great workout going up from the Crags Trailhead, but I found the steepness of the grade, combined with uncertain footing on the loose rocks, to be especially taxing on these old knees. Very glad that I had hiking poles on the way down, and was still picking my way quite deliberately to keep from slipping and sliding.
Some spectacular views and great photo ops, and the formations once you top out in the Devil's Playground area really are dramatic, but I'll probably not be doing it again.

Jyl Ley

2 Completed2 Reviews

After being turned away at Mueller State Park, for strict no dog rules, we were instructed to come here! Very happy we did! Great gradual incline up to the boulder area with great views!
***Important: watch the skies, as the weather changes quickly here! We got caught in large thunder storm around noon on July 26th.

Jim Hall

28 Completed27 Reviews

We added this hike after completing the Crags trail. The trail is much steeper, but easy to manage. Only made it as far as the tree line before turning back. There were a number of people out on the trail as well, but not that bad. I want to make the summit next time!

R Grissom

13 Completed3 Reviews

Good hike. Challenging, but worth it. However, I would NOT rate this hike as easy. It's uphill the entire way to the rock formations and very tricky footing in quite a few locations with loose rocks and gravel.

However there is a stream a good length of time near the trailhead and its absolutely peaceful. The view up top are beautiful and the people along the way are very nice and good company. I'd recommend starting the hike very early, especially if you want to summit Pike before weather hits. Also, being that it's in the west slope, you don't get sun for quite a while, dress warm! It was only 34* when we started and only 67* when we headed back down the trail.

Jennifer Braid

13 Completed1 Reviews

We backpacked up to Devil's Playground to camp out for the Pikes Peak Hill Climb. The 4.5 hour estimate was about right for us carrying 40+ lbs each, but this is only to the Playground area. If you are planning to continue to the summit of Pikes peak, you have a few miles and another ~1300 ft in elevation to go from here. I'm guessing that's why people are disputing the time. Most importantly, keep an eye on the weather, and head down at the very first sight of trouble - the clouds can change and form very quickly here. We tried to stay later for the race, and got caught in lightning/hail above treeline. The cog railway has forecasting for the summit as well, while most services will only give you valley forecasts.

Milton Fried

1 Completed1 Reviews

Derrick Mcclain

1 Completed1 Reviews

Hiked 13 June 15...snowpack about 11,400 on up and trail about 40% covered for the last 3/4 mile to the summit. Snow held 180lbs fairly well.

Great views from just prior to tree line through the playground. Round trip 3+30 from the crags campground. Found the tundra rather slippy without spikes.

Stephen Allaby

37 Completed29 Reviews

Great hike! However, we experienced the reason for the name and had to turn back - LIGHTNING!!!

Michelle Pearson

5 Completed3 Reviews

Hiked September and Nov of 2012, altitude sickness the first time made it difficult to breath, no symptoms second time and was a spectacular climb. Took me WAY longer than many people post on here, but I am not from the mountains either and were my first high altitude climbs. So take your time, probably double it, if you are not from the mountains. Was snow and ice the second trip but still a wonderful hike and easy to follow if you stay on the trail! Just remember the way you started because on the way down, that seemed to be confusing as to where to get back to the trailhead near the end and there are a few aux paths near the campground at the lower elevation. Good trail conditions, steep, take hiking poles for the descent to protect your knees. NO cell service except for one breakthru spot about half way up.

Chuck M.

Went up when there was to much snow on the ground and only got halfway up. The view was really nice though. Gonna do again when snow has melted.

Diane Reed

4 Completed1 Reviews

Yikes! This hike is MUCH more difficult than I was expecting based on the description. I am an experienced amateur hiker & I found that this hike takes twice as long as was listed here, and the first several hours are a steep uphill grade (code word: laborious). Even though the final views are spectacular, my 7-year-old twins were utterly exhausted & cranky by that point. Yet they were able to complete The Crags trail all the way to the very end & back at the age of 5 without complaint. So my advice: be prepared to double the hiking time & reconsider whether you want to take children under 10 : )

Jeff Rouse

21 Completed16 Reviews

Great workout. We did Trail head to Playground in 3 hours. We were going to go to the summit but we saw the clouds moving in and the temp dropped so headed home. Made a good call, because a couple of hours later when we got back to Springs you could see it snowed above 12,000.

Eric Dowd

7 Completed6 Reviews

This is a great hike. I did it on the way to Pikes Peak.

Rob Vladimiroff

12 Completed6 Reviews

It is definitely a steep trail but the wildflowers above tree level are spectacular right now with great views from the top. The trailhead has moved from the campground to a parking area/trailhead just before you get to the campground. Can't miss it.

David C

10 Completed10 Reviews

The trailhead with free parking and a well-maintained no-fee public outhouse are easy to find and well labelled. The 4.5-hour round trip estimate is low balled. It took me four hours to get to the 13,000'+ summit on the far side of the highway, and nearly three to get back, and I'd describe myself as a good, experienced amateur hiker. Some of the discrepancy may be in determining exactly where to turn around: Devils Playground is an area with several rocky high points, not a single summit. I reached the "area" (western edge, ca. 12700) in about three hours.
A good hike through a variety of landscapes and stunning views. There are stretches that are strenuous, but none that require much expertise. A couple uphill stretches are fairly steep. The trail is well marked for the most part ... however, you only have to miss one switchback to get in trouble! I missed one on the way up and one on the way down, both at roughly where trees transition to shrub. I was obviously not the first to miss the one on the way up as I ended up following someone else's footsteps nearly straight up a gravelly clearing. On the way down, I was on the forested switchbacks that I had missed on the way up and found myself on what must have been an old trail, no longer kept up. I backtracked, found the current trail and made it back to the trailhead.

Kaytha Coker

6 Completed5 Reviews

Awesome hike!!! It is a climb as well as a fairly hard descent but totally worth it! The views are outstanding. My 5 year old made it almost to the Devils playground.

Kerry Motes

2 Completed1 Reviews

Did most of the hike today. Excellent conditions of the trail...still some snow and ice spots. We only made it to 11,750 feet - but my two kids 8/10 both made the trek to that altitude! We are new to CO and that is so far our highest climb!

Jason Wood

13 Completed1 Reviews

Fantastic hike. New to the area so I was bit out of breath but completely worth the work. Gorgeous. Highly recommend to anyone looking to hike Pike's in less than 8 hours.