Emerald Lake

Estes Park, CO
Share review on:

Thanks! How would you describe the trail and its activities?

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Emerald Lake is a 3.6 mile out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a river. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from June until November.

3 Completed 2 Reviews

Great snowshoeing trail. It's a little busy in the afternoon, but not terrible. A lot people seem to stop at Dream Lake, so the trail from there was quite a bit quieter.

69 Completed 39 Reviews

Hike this during the summer & winter of 2013/14. Just Beautiful. Goal is to hike that giant rock Hamlet.

Icon_8ecf1be8c3504c463c1e11105beafcac

26 Completed 27 Reviews

Great Hike!

Icon_

12 Completed 6 Reviews

I started out early and there were still quite a few people on the trail - but that was OK. It was still a beautiful hike to 3 beautiful lakes. Even with all the people, I saw elk. I also went in August so I imagine later in the year it would be less crowded. Fairly easy hike with some elevation gain. Best tip: start out early and enjoy the lakes!

5 Completed 5 Reviews

Great views but a lot of people in the afternoon. I recommend doing this in the early morning otherwise you will be stuck in lines going up the trail. Saw one elk on the way up. Great for a family day hike.

42 Completed 43 Reviews

Emerald Lake is likely worth the hike after hiking up to Dream Lake. This is likely the most accessible high altitude lake in RMNP and is something you might be able to pull off with small children. The trail was very crowded when we hiked it, which detracted from the experience for me. I'd give the hike to Nymph lake two stars and Dream Lake four stars, but if you're going to hike it and the trail is clear I would recommend hiking all the way to Emerald.

Person_placeholder

2 Completed 2 Reviews

This is the hike I use to warm up each time I come to rocky. The views are spectacular and the trail is not difficult. This hike never gets old.

9 Completed 1 Reviews

Finished this hike earlier and it was amazing. would recommend to anyone. at Emerald Lake you can see another waterfall at the end. Me and my buddies hiked to it and the views got even better. Would recommend to anyone looking for more of a challenge. I've read a lot online there is another lake called moon lake is you hike higher up. If anyone could confirm/deny this it would be great.

Icon_adf8dfd62755da1b64338cd553c9ea50

5 Completed 5 Reviews

Great hike, great scenery. I started out at 8 AM with just a few people. Past Dream Lake there was a lot of snow and ice on the way to Emerald Lake. The lake was mostly still frozen but the view of the cliffs surrounding the lake was great. Saw an Elk, hare and bluejay on the way up. Took exactly 3 hours. Met a lot of people on the way down.

Person_placeholder

Brian Powers

33 Completed 4 Reviews

Excellent scenery, no people early on a Monday morning :)
No snowshoes required for the Spring conditions, though the Kahtoola MicroSpikes proved their worth today!

Support