Emerald Lake

#3 of 132 trails in Rocky Mountain National Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Emerald Lake is a 3.6 mile out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a river. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from June until November.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Donna Atwal (164)

4 Completed1 Reviews

It's a great hike and all of the three lakes are beautiful. However, when we hiked there was little bit of rain so probably dress accordingly.

Erin Bouch (50)

5 Completed2 Reviews

Well I had an entire review written for this and when I hit the backspace button on the calendar, it completely backed me out of the screen so I'll make my review short and sweet!

1. This trail is VERY, rewarding. There are stunning views and the trail itself isn't too bad. It's pretty much smooth and only rocky in some spots. It does get narrow at times and crowded on the weekends in the summer.
2. Very well marked.
3. Places to stop and snack. People were even swimming!
4. Stay motivated! Don't get discouraged if it's proving difficult or you're feeling the effects of the altitude. We did this hike after moving here 2 months prior and found ourselves out of breath and red faced easily but still pressed on. Physically it's not very hard it's just the elevation (we moved from sea level). If you're here from out of state, take your time and don't feel bad about taking small breaks to catch your breath.
5. It gets crowded on the weekends. You will probably have to park pretty far away if you arrive later than 10 or 11.
6. We cannot wait to go back and do this again! :) :) :)

Jeremy B. (147)

Amazing!

Daren Igel (76)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Are these trails doable for younger kids?

Katherine Kosch (931)

23 Completed20 Reviews

This is an amazing hike. Definitely recommend Yaktraks and poles in the late spring. Icy patches made for a more difficult hike but well worth the trip to the lake.

Marcie Robidart (496)

45 Completed27 Reviews

Don Appleby (323)

22 Completed1 Reviews

Beautiful hike! Far less busy in the winter. Snowshoes helpful but not necessary although Yaktraks or spikes recommended.

Rosie Moceri (128)

3 Completed6 Reviews

Dogs below were found! Yeah! Thank you!

Rosie Moceri (128)

3 Completed6 Reviews

*Lost Dogs* in Allenspark. Yellow LAB/Shephard mix named Kaya and Black Cockapoo puppy named Mokie. We are reaching out to hikers. Please see the below craigslist post for details. I promise this is not spam! http://rockies.craigslist.org/laf/4783879377.html Thank you for your help!

Paul Emmons (6393)

87 Completed60 Reviews

Beautiful views on a short hike. Access to a couple other trails which can lead to Andrews Glacier. There were many Chipmunks, Clark's Nuthatch and Stellar's Jay's visited us up close while we ate our lunch on the rocks. A must do trail if you are in RMNP. I advise using the park and ride to get to the trail. Parking at the trailhead was unavailable due to the many people in the park due to Elk Fest. While leaving the trailhead to exit the park there were many Elk Bugling right on the side of the highway. Truly an awesome outing!

Support