Emerald Lake

#2 of 131 trails in Rocky Mountain National Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Emerald Lake is a 3.6 mile out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a river. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from June until November.

Icon_930a21c94718f5a45069dbc4f427f4ae

7 Completed 7 Reviews

The 3 lake trek of Nymph, Dream, and Emerald lake is great way to spend the day. During the prime summer months these trails get very busy as they are a part of the very popular Bear Lake area in RMNP. Get there early and enjoy before the crowds accumulate.

50 Completed 23 Reviews

Although crowded, this is a great hike in and out. Fishing for the endangered greenback cutthroat tour is also good but difficult to fly fish from the trail due to the number of people on the trail. Tip...go early to avoid the crowds and watch for wildlife.

23 Completed 9 Reviews

Oops I meant we saw an ELK not a Moose. Great hike!

23 Completed 9 Reviews

We decided on a morning hike for the 4th of July and we are glad we did.The hike was beautiful from start to finish. With lakes and waterfalls along the way this has been the most scenic hike of the year for us.There was even a grazing moose.
Of course there were a lot of people and that was okay as everyone was considerate and kept things moving. I took well over 300 pictures. I would definitely do thia hike again the next time I am in Estes Park.

4 Completed 2 Reviews

Decent trail, but very crowded, lots of children. Pretty easy climb, saw some fish in the water.

22 Completed 15 Reviews

A perfect family hike. Beautiful hike throughout. Still some snow on the trail but this is an easy hike.

35 Completed 24 Reviews

Its been a while, but I remember this being an awesome hike.

4 Completed 4 Reviews

Nice hike. Plenty of snow on the ground. I wore shorts and a tank top and felt just fine. Some people wore jackets, pants, etc., but it seemed too hot outside for that. Trekking poles are a good idea for the less stable-bodied hikers.

3 Completed 2 Reviews

Great snowshoeing trail. It's a little busy in the afternoon, but not terrible. A lot people seem to stop at Dream Lake, so the trail from there was quite a bit quieter.

73 Completed 43 Reviews

Hike this during the summer & winter of 2013/14. Just Beautiful. Goal is to hike that giant rock Hamlet.

Support