Gem Lake Trail

Estes Park, CO
Share review on:

Thanks! How would you describe the trail and its activities?

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Gem Lake Trail is a 1.8 mile out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Estes Park: Drive north on MacGregor Avenue. Cross the Hwy 34 bypass and continue to a sharp right turn and sign for MacGregor Ranch. Follow the blacktop ranch road to the parking area.

Colorado Tourism Office, 1625 Broadway, Suite 1700 , Denver, CO, 80202, Phone: 800-COLORADO

13 Completed 1 Reviews

This is a nice hike. For 50 +, as I and my wife are, it was a little strenuous. We went on April 10 and there was very little snow. Taking our time, it took us 3 hours up and back.

9 Completed 9 Reviews

Living in Estes Park for a while and getting out as much as possible to this trail you might think I'd become "jaded" to it. Not at all. It is spectacular. The trail starts in the trees and boulders and winds you through and up over scenic overlooks, rocky outcroppings, and wonderful aspen groves. Longs Peak is visible to the south as well as Twin Sisters. Since opening my company, shootmyhike.com, I now get out onto a trail at least three times a week, sometimes five. This trail never disappoints my clients or myself. High on my list.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

42 Completed 43 Reviews

Lots of hikers out on the trail on a mid-January Saturday — more than when we hiked it in the Summer a few years ago. Great winter hike. Some snowy and icy areas. I'd recommend trekking poles in winter.

Icon_

8 Completed 5 Reviews

We hiked this on 8/11/2012. We found it by accident because we didn't want to pay the entry fee to drive into RMNP. We magically found ourselves on Devil's Gulch Road and turned onto Lumpy Ridge Road - there's a free parking lot for the trails. The hike felt much longer than it really is. It's a steady climb to the lake so I wouldn't recommend this hike for inexperienced hikers or out-of-towners not used to the elevation. The views are spectacular and the beautiful lake, while small, is worth the hike just as all the other reviewers say. When you get to the top there are a lot of chipmunks, and they've been conditioned to know that there's food when they hear the rustle of snack bags. They'll pretty much eat out of your hands (kinda sad...but they're very cute). I would do this trail again, but only on a weekday as it was fairly crowded on Saturday.

33 Completed 13 Reviews

While super short, this hike is a great workout! The views of Estes Park and Longs & Meeker is gorgeous! My only complaint is the chipmunks, who practically crawled into my lunch bag.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Great hike, great views, great lake. Do it!

Icon_

12 Completed 6 Reviews

Loved this trail. A lot of it is elevation gain but the views and Gem Lake are well worth the little extra effort. Beautiful rock outcroppings and views of the valley along the way.

3 Completed 2 Reviews

42 Completed 43 Reviews

It seemed like a lot more than 3.6 mi round trip, but we had a two year old with us. There are some areas just off the trail with great views and there's a toilet near the top. This is a great RMNP hike, with a very interesting trail.

Support