Gem Lake Trail

#1 of 131 trails in Rocky Mountain National Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Gem Lake Trail is a 1.8 mile out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Estes Park: Drive north on MacGregor Avenue. Cross the Hwy 34 bypass and continue to a sharp right turn and sign for MacGregor Ranch. Follow the blacktop ranch road to the parking area.

Colorado Tourism Office, 1625 Broadway, Suite 1700 , Denver, CO, 80202, Phone: 800-COLORADO

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Went my parents who are in there 40's. Really enjoyed it even though it was easy for me, but more moderate for my mom. The different views were wonderful. Also saw elk,chipmunks,humming birds and etc.

11 Completed 2 Reviews

Meh. It has some cool rock formations on the way, but not worth the trouble. The lake is neat and you can see Estes Park on my way up, as well as the continental divide, but overall...there are much better trails.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

I hiked with my wife and 9 year old twins. Great short hike. Great views! Kids enjoyed it.

10 Completed 1 Reviews

This was my first hike with any real elevation to it and while I had to stop periodically to catch my breath and hydrate, it's a great starter for elevation hikes and offers incredibly beautiful views.

7 Completed 2 Reviews

Fun hike! It is basically a stairwell to the lake. But has a ton of beautiful sites just remember NO DOGS ALLOWED!! :-(

Icon_27e7929d86d7f65bb055a106e7ca5602

29 Completed 3 Reviews

13 Completed 1 Reviews

This is a nice hike. For 50 +, as I and my wife are, it was a little strenuous. We went on April 10 and there was very little snow. Taking our time, it took us 3 hours up and back.

10 Completed 10 Reviews

Living in Estes Park for a while and getting out as much as possible to this trail you might think I'd become "jaded" to it. Not at all. It is spectacular. The trail starts in the trees and boulders and winds you through and up over scenic overlooks, rocky outcroppings, and wonderful aspen groves. Longs Peak is visible to the south as well as Twin Sisters. Since opening my company, shootmyhike.com, I now get out onto a trail at least three times a week, sometimes five. This trail never disappoints my clients or myself. High on my list.

42 Completed 43 Reviews

Lots of hikers out on the trail on a mid-January Saturday — more than when we hiked it in the Summer a few years ago. Great winter hike. Some snowy and icy areas. I'd recommend trekking poles in winter.

Support