Grey Rock Trail

HARD
#4 of 125 trails in Roosevelt National Forest
Grey Rock Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bellvue, CO that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

dogs on leash kid friendly birding hiking nature trips walking forest lake river views wild flowers rocky scramble
Hide Map

From Ft. Collins; Highway 287 north past Laporte to Highway 14. West on 14 seven miles to the trailhead. The parking lot is on the left side of the highway. Trail head on the on the north side of the Poudre River.

Megan Durocher

3 Completed3 Reviews

A gorgeous hike! Beautiful views all around. It looks like the trail ends when you get to the section at the end of the dirt trail and beginning of the only rock trail. There is a trail marker-it just blends in. If you think you have lost the trail, then keep looking-it's there! Keep at it towards the top-the views are worth it :) I recommend going on a weekday or early on the weekends. Have fun out there!

Aaron Vernon

13 Completed14 Reviews

Wesley Joy

Kailee Duryea

1 Completed1 Reviews

Beautiful views. Absolutely gorgeous day! We hiked the loop starting around 3pm made it down by 8pm with a dog in tow. The trail could be a bit clearer in places as there were quite a few downed trees blocking the path. Enjoyed the experience overall.

Sarah Hunt

10 Completed10 Reviews

Great! Beautiful views

Nina Otero

1 Completed1 Reviews

Oh wow! What a lovely hike! Perfect weather and the views were spectacular ... For sure to do again.

Amelia Gieschen

1 Completed1 Reviews

3/28/2016: Hiked the Greyrock Mountain trail up to the summit and took the Meadows trail on the way back down. Although we followed footprints through the snow the whole way on the descent, we lost the official trail about halfway down. We continued to follow footprints through the Meadow and found ourselves on a steep path towards the Hewlett Gulch Trail in about a foot of packed snow. A helpful stranger gave us out-of-towners a lift back to the Greyrock Trailhead.

Not a pleasant way to get back, but overall, still a beautiful hike! Be wary of misleading footprints. Wish there would have been more helpful signage.

Michael N.

Took the Meadows arm of this trail in February, as weather was favorable. Quite a bit of ice on the trail, which only added to the fun. We made it about halfway to the summit before running out of time and turning back, but was consoled by numerous close encounters with wildlife on the way back, including a mulie doe, who gave us little notice as she browsed her way up the hill. Looking forward to returning later to tackle the more difficult and direct route to the top.

Kiley Marouf

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great day. trail in good condition for late February, just a little muddy and iced in dark areas.

Luke Mc

8 Completed7 Reviews

Great moderate hike. Trail still pretty slick in shaded areas due to compacted snow. Awesome mountain views on the west side of the summit.

Sean Muldoon

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great day hike with a rewarding view after a moderate hike to the summit.

Matt Brede

1 Completed1 Reviews

Very icy and a couple of fresh tree falls over the trail but very well maintained overall. Warm temps this week are making mud in the sunny areas and the ice in the shady areas very slick.

e. ritter

10 Completed11 Reviews

I have done this hike twice, and LOVED everything about it. It's not the typical, climb up and you're there. You're experiencing different views from the beginning to the end. I started on the "easy" side first, and came back down the "hard" way - as some would say. Each have their own opinion on where to start.

Kristin M.

Nice combination of smooth gradual trail and Rocky trail.

Tatiana Lee

3 Completed4 Reviews

Great challenging hike. Lots of sharp rocks on the trail.

Hunter Polese

14 Completed11 Reviews

Gillian King

2 Completed2 Reviews

Kinda lost the trail when climbing up the rock and ended up scaling the rock a little differently than we intended. It was an awesome trip up the mountain and we loved the little lake at the top! Sad to see all the dead trees on the way, but it was still beautiful despite the damage!

L.S C.

I would agree that this is not an easy hike. The poison ivy along the trail is crazy thick especially if you decide to take the meadow trail to the left as you are going up. I had to turn around and go back throught the canyon/gulch part it was so thick. I will waer some long hiking pants next time. It was steady but very doable. Loved the top scamble. Parking can be tough. Trail had people but we didnt feel like we had a line. I definitley want to do this one again.

Don Kim

4 Completed2 Reviews

I'm not sure who rated this hike easy but it is definitely not "easy". Even without the climb to the summit the hike should be moderate at least. The climb to the summit is tough and needs good balance and all four limbs to be safe.

I climbed to what I thought was the summit only to have it pointed out to me that the summit was behind me. Ugh...and so it is a difficult climb.

The rest of the hike was pleasant. The trail is a little overgrown at this time but the beginning goes through shady trees and follows a stream. The elevation gain is not bad. There is a wide meadow below Grey Rock. Much of the trail also shows the scars of a fire.

Overall the main trail is a nice cool hike. Do the summit climb if you feel the need but once is enough for me.

Jason N

1 Completed1 Reviews

did the loop and the summit. kicked my butt. Be careful taking your dogs, that granite will tear up their feet.