Grey Rock Trail

#4 of 192 trails in roosevelt national forest
Grey Rock Trail is a 5.7 mile loop trail that travels up a narrow valley and follows switchbacks up a ridge and then down to Greyrock Meadow through a stand of fir trees.

7.33 miles Loop 2040 feet
Dog Friendly
hiking dogs leash forest lake
Hide Map

From Ft. Collins; Highway 287 north past Laporte to Highway 14. West on 14 seven miles to the trailhead. The parking lot is on the left side of the highway. Trail head on the on the north side of the Poudre River.

Kristin M.

Nice combination of smooth gradual trail and Rocky trail.

Tatiana Lee

3 Completed4 Reviews

Great challenging hike. Lots of sharp rocks on the trail.

Hunter Polese

11 Completed11 Reviews

Gillian King

2 Completed2 Reviews

Kinda lost the trail when climbing up the rock and ended up scaling the rock a little differently than we intended. It was an awesome trip up the mountain and we loved the little lake at the top! Sad to see all the dead trees on the way, but it was still beautiful despite the damage!

L.S C.

I would agree that this is not an easy hike. The poison ivy along the trail is crazy thick especially if you decide to take the meadow trail to the left as you are going up. I had to turn around and go back throught the canyon/gulch part it was so thick. I will waer some long hiking pants next time. It was steady but very doable. Loved the top scamble. Parking can be tough. Trail had people but we didnt feel like we had a line. I definitley want to do this one again.

Don Kim

3 Completed2 Reviews

I'm not sure who rated this hike easy but it is definitely not "easy". Even without the climb to the summit the hike should be moderate at least. The climb to the summit is tough and needs good balance and all four limbs to be safe.

I climbed to what I thought was the summit only to have it pointed out to me that the summit was behind me. Ugh...and so it is a difficult climb.

The rest of the hike was pleasant. The trail is a little overgrown at this time but the beginning goes through shady trees and follows a stream. The elevation gain is not bad. There is a wide meadow below Grey Rock. Much of the trail also shows the scars of a fire.

Overall the main trail is a nice cool hike. Do the summit climb if you feel the need but once is enough for me.

Jason N

1 Completed1 Reviews

did the loop and the summit. kicked my butt. Be careful taking your dogs, that granite will tear up their feet.

Shimrit Yacobi

22 Completed9 Reviews

Tough, but the view on top is one of the best; from the top you can see the snowy Rockies, Wyoming and Horsetooth reservoir, it's beautiful.
It's important to know that 5.7 is only the loop, and doesn't include climbing up the rock for the view, the total for us was about 8 miles.

Sharon Shabtai

24 Completed2 Reviews

Amy Osten

9 Completed6 Reviews

Tougher than I thought it would be. Took the meadow trail up, then climbed up to top of Grey Rock. Small pond at the top was nice for my dog to swim in. Went down the grey rock trail which was really steep, even for a decent. Perfect day for this hike as it was overcast and not too hot. Kids were at the top so anyone can do it if you just take your time.