Grey Rock Trail

HARD
#4 of 191 trails in Roosevelt National Forest
l>
Grey Rock Trail is a 7.3 mile loop trail located near Bellvue, CO that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

dogs on leash hiking forest lake river rocky scramble views
Hide Map

From Ft. Collins; Highway 287 north past Laporte to Highway 14. West on 14 seven miles to the trailhead. The parking lot is on the left side of the highway. Trail head on the on the north side of the Poudre River.

Matt Brede

1 Completed1 Reviews

Very icy and a couple of fresh tree falls over the trail but very well maintained overall. Warm temps this week are making mud in the sunny areas and the ice in the shady areas very slick.

e. ritter

10 Completed11 Reviews

I have done this hike twice, and LOVED everything about it. It's not the typical, climb up and you're there. You're experiencing different views from the beginning to the end. I started on the "easy" side first, and came back down the "hard" way - as some would say. Each have their own opinion on where to start.

Kristin M.

Nice combination of smooth gradual trail and Rocky trail.

Tatiana Lee

3 Completed4 Reviews

Great challenging hike. Lots of sharp rocks on the trail.

Hunter Polese

11 Completed11 Reviews

Gillian King

2 Completed2 Reviews

Kinda lost the trail when climbing up the rock and ended up scaling the rock a little differently than we intended. It was an awesome trip up the mountain and we loved the little lake at the top! Sad to see all the dead trees on the way, but it was still beautiful despite the damage!

L.S C.

I would agree that this is not an easy hike. The poison ivy along the trail is crazy thick especially if you decide to take the meadow trail to the left as you are going up. I had to turn around and go back throught the canyon/gulch part it was so thick. I will waer some long hiking pants next time. It was steady but very doable. Loved the top scamble. Parking can be tough. Trail had people but we didnt feel like we had a line. I definitley want to do this one again.

Don Kim

4 Completed2 Reviews

I'm not sure who rated this hike easy but it is definitely not "easy". Even without the climb to the summit the hike should be moderate at least. The climb to the summit is tough and needs good balance and all four limbs to be safe.

I climbed to what I thought was the summit only to have it pointed out to me that the summit was behind me. Ugh...and so it is a difficult climb.

The rest of the hike was pleasant. The trail is a little overgrown at this time but the beginning goes through shady trees and follows a stream. The elevation gain is not bad. There is a wide meadow below Grey Rock. Much of the trail also shows the scars of a fire.

Overall the main trail is a nice cool hike. Do the summit climb if you feel the need but once is enough for me.

Jason N

1 Completed1 Reviews

did the loop and the summit. kicked my butt. Be careful taking your dogs, that granite will tear up their feet.

Shimrit Yacobi

22 Completed9 Reviews

Tough, but the view on top is one of the best; from the top you can see the snowy Rockies, Wyoming and Horsetooth reservoir, it's beautiful.
It's important to know that 5.7 is only the loop, and doesn't include climbing up the rock for the view, the total for us was about 8 miles.