Grey Rock Trail

#4 of 191 trails in roosevelt national forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Grey Rock Trail is a 5.7 mile loop trail that travels up a narrow valley and follows switchbacks up a ridge and then down to Greyrock Meadow through a stand of fir trees.

From Ft. Collins; Highway 287 north past Laporte to Highway 14. West on 14 seven miles to the trailhead. The parking lot is on the left side of the highway. Trail head on the on the north side of the Poudre River.

Small Parking Lot with a two room outhouse.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

I hiked this with my wife and four year old. We got about a mile in. There are a couple of places to put your feet in the stream and some interesting flowers. Some bees made a nest in the trail, and that's kind of fun to see. To get to the trail you'll cross a long bridge over Poudre River. The flow was too high to play in the river when we went but that would be fun later in the season.

14 Completed 7 Reviews

My wife and I hiked this trail yesterday, we loved it. We did think of a few things that may help you.

1. On a Saturday we arrived at the parking area at 8:30, there weren't very many spots left. We were also surprised to see a restroom available (we didn't use it, but it was good to know).

2. We followed the Grey Rock trail to the top and then took the Grey Meadow trail on the way down. This resulted in a much longer hike than the 5.7 miles advertised. The Grey Meadow trail adds another round of uphill hiking, there are several 'false' summits as you are heading back---keep in mind. We recommend doing the trip counter clockwise, I think you get a nicer view of the giant meadow as you are headed down.

3. There was not nearly as much shade as we thought there would be. The combination of the beetle kill pines and the fire damage have really done a number on parts of the trail. It was really neat to walk through these parts of the forest to see the devastation first hand.

4. The cairns were very helpful once you started up the rock, there are also some 4x4 posts along the way to help when the trail seems to disappear.

This was a great hike and we will definitely be doing it again.

3 Completed 1 Reviews

I'd consider myself to be I'm decent shape. This hike was strenuous once I got to the rock, however, was so rewarding once I got to the top. I ended up taking a dive on the trail coming down off the rock (I'm very graceful) but regardless it was a wonderful morning/early afternoon hike. I started at 9:30 and got back around 2. At one point I felt like I lost track of the trail along the way up the rock, however I followed the man made rock posts and kept going.

5 Completed 1 Reviews

My boyfriend and I hiked this trail yesterday, and it quickly became one of my favorites. Challenging (even for two physically fit 20-somethings), but the scenery and summit made it worth it. 360 degrees of amazing views, with less scrambling than I expected. A word of advice: don't take the meadows route on your way down. We were pretty beat after the climb up and were ready for a nice descent before we ran out of daylight. The meadows takes you up and down and UP again - a real morale killer. Definitely preferred the summit path. Great hike, so much to see!

13 Completed 8 Reviews

Outstanding hike, stunning, ever-changing scenery. Physically challenging with some rock scrambling but the payoff is so worth it.

24 Completed 6 Reviews

This was a terrific hike! However, much longer than I had expected. I completed the entire loop, and spent time at the top of the mountain. I began my adventure at 9 a.m. and ended up back at my car around 2:30 p.m. But it was worth it! Lovely views, with a little bit of scrambling. I certainly got a workout!

The route I took was 947 to the top and then back down 946 through the meadows. It was extremely enjoyable and I recommend it to anyone. Just bring plenty of food and water to help you stay energized!

2 Completed 1 Reviews

Favorite trail so far in Co. So many good views, not too difficult- fun for trail running and not crowded :)

Person_placeholder

10 Completed 3 Reviews

34 Completed 14 Reviews

This hike is pretty hard-core. It doesn't matter which trail you use on the way up, you're definitely burning a ton of calories. And once you get to Grey Rock itself, it's a long scramble to the top. Of course the view of the Poudre Wilderness is worth it, but I find the scrambling itself to be fun (as long as you take your time and follow the cairns!). It's also a good hike for the late winter-early spring since it's mostly south facing, and the snow melts faster.

42 Completed 43 Reviews

Second attempt at this hike (we tried last autumn). The burned areas from the High Park fire are getting some flowers and grasses, so the hike is much more enjoyable. It's a challenging hike with lots of sun. We eventually made it to the top with a four and almost-two year old and two grandparents. The top was very nice and worth the hike, but I still contend that Arthur's Rock is a better trail for people visiting the area. We did see lots (and lots) of poison ivy and a rattlesnake on this hike.

Support