Lake Isabelle

#9 of 191 trails in roosevelt national forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Lake Isabelle is a 4 mile out and back trail located near Nederland, Colorado that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from July until October.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Jen W (66)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Nice, gentle, rolling, wooded hike with gorgeous scenery. Spotted a moose hanging out on the edge of Long Lake on the way.

Based on the trail and previous reviews, I would assume that the trail is at least partially wet the whole year. In shaded north-facing areas, there was a decent amount of ice and snow. Bring waterproof boots or at least shoes you don't mind getting muddy. This trail, probably due to the mild elevation changes, is the most popular I've seen with families in a while.

This hike is longer than indicated. I hike at a fairly decent clip (passed many families and slower walking couples) and I did not make it all the way to Lake Isabelle due to time constraints. I had to park at the day use area and I took the Niwot Trail Junction to the Jean Lunning Trail which runs along the south side of Long Lake, where it then curves north and meets the Pawnee Pass Trail, which leads to the lake. I had to turn around at the junction. All in all it was almost 2 hours on the dot from parking lot to parking lot. I'd add at least another half hour to make it to the lake and back.

Dustin Mobley (663)

13 Completed13 Reviews

We were surprised to find so much snow and ice, but it was an amazing hike. This was my first hike with snow on the ground and it was a beautiful site. This place has got to be amazing in the summer months with the lakes full, waterfalls, and the views.
Our plan was to make it to Isabelle Glacier, however, we came about 1 mile short. Due to high winds, blowing snow, and just not completely prepared for the conditions we turned around, but I'm heading back in late July-Early August to try again.
We started the hike about 9am and with the starting temperature 32 degrees and windy we were surprised to see so many cars in the lot. Only passed a few people on the way up, but passed 10-15 people on the way down.
What a beautiful place.

James Bailey (127)

21 Completed2 Reviews

Beautiful hike- once you get to the trailhead. If you park at the upper lot, prior to entering the park, you've got a 2 mile walk to Brainard lake plus a mile to Long Lake. Get there early in the morning, late in the afternoon or during the week in order to park near Brainard Lake.
The hike to Lake Isabella is a beauty! Not much grade increase until the last quarter of a mile. Pay attention to all of the warnings about the mosquitos. They are plentiful and huge (as in carry of small cattle huge!)

Jeff Purcell (653)

14 Completed14 Reviews

Great hike. A must do. Go early in the summer months if the road to Brainard Lake is open. If so you can drive to Lake Brainard and save walking a few miles extra down the paved road. Isabelle is on the same route as going to Long Lake in case you have any trouble determining which direction to go as there are several roads around the Brainard recreation area. We hiked all the way to the little pond at the basin just past Lake Isabelle. Great views and a very nice hike.

Chat Coats (391)

19 Completed13 Reviews

Great, scenic and very gradual hike to a breathtaking mountain lake expanse.

Dallas Bernard (106)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Awesome hike, worth every moment! Easy and scenic along the entire trail. Take bug spray along w/ or you will be feasted upon.

Jenna Lampro (120)

17 Completed1 Reviews

Incredible! Still a lot of snow on the trail and made getting to lake a bit difficult but it was worth it! The road to the trail head is still closed so we had to walk on the road for about a mile.

Michael Cox (522)

12 Completed8 Reviews

Nice trail. Tons of mosquitoes. The lake was quite low.

Valerie Doubleday (272)

7 Completed7 Reviews

Absolutely breathtaking hike. For the most part it's fairly easy. Multiple gorgeous places to take pictures or stop for a picnic. I recommend going in late June or early July to see both the wildflowers and the waterfall. If you decide to pass the lake and continue on to Pawnee Pass be aware that it does get more difficult. This trail can be crowded so go during the week if possible. Worth paying the fee at Brainard Lake entrance. One of the most beautiful places ever.

Support