Mills Lake

Estes Park, CO
Share review on:

Thanks! How would you describe the trail and its activities?

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Mills Lake is a 5 mile out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from June until November.

Take Hwy. 36 out of Estes Park to RMNP entrance, then go to Bear Lake Rd. and follow it to Glacier Gorge TH.

Icon_0fd988f2fbe13be812d2263e527a4a94

115 Completed 47 Reviews

Awesome hike up Glacier Gorge in RMNP. If you are in to photography, the best time to photograph this Lake and Longs Peak is the afternoon and evening. Awesome alpenglow on Longs at sundown. You can still make it down to the parking lot before dark in the summer if you hussle,best to bring a headlamp though to be safe.

10 Completed 10 Reviews

This puts my other 5 star ratings to shame. Love love love this trail (and can't wait to do it again in the spring!). Hiked in mid-December and even with a light snow falling and views if the mountain peaks hazy at best, It was absolutely breathtaking. Lake frozen solid snowpacks most of the way up, so challenging at times, but otherwise a fairly easy hike.

33 Completed 13 Reviews

After hiking this trail twice last year, I knew I had to go back again. This summer we snagged two nights at the Glacier Gorge backcountry site and even with 35 pounds on my back, I still loved coming to this lake. My favorite part of the hike is when the trail finally levels out and the trail is on a ledge along the gorge. As you approach the lake, you can almost feel like something spectacular is going to happen! This is the hike I recommend the most to people, and is my favorite in the park so far!

11 Completed 8 Reviews

I've done this one twice now and it's still easily one of my top ten hikes.

9 Completed 8 Reviews

Great trail. Not too steep...not too long. Beautiful vistas and Mills Lake is spectacular.

42 Completed 43 Reviews

Spectacular lake and an interesting hike to get there. We hiked this as part of a loop, going Bear Lake, Nymph Lake, Dream Lake, Emerald Lake, (back to Dream), Haiyaha, Mills Lake, Alberta Falls, and then hopping a ride on the shuttle from Glacier Gorge TH back to the Bear Lake parking lot. If you have time I would recommend this, as Haiyaha and Dream are also very nice. This trail was fairly busy when we hiked it.

7 Completed 2 Reviews

9 Completed 9 Reviews

At first in the parking lot I am not a friend of running into lots of people so at first I was not excited just because of the amount of car in the parking lot. So I was expecting a highway on the trails. Fortunately at the beginning of all of the trail that is were most are as we headed to the Mills trail junction from the parking lot we ran into no more than a dozen people. We took the short cut to the junction of the Mills Trail and Lock Vale. The view were breath taking as we ventured out onto the frozen Mills Lake. The only con about the hike was the gusty winds. They were really gusty and windy. We left the parking lot at 10:30 snowshoeing two trails we were back at the parking lot at 4:30. Note we took the long trail back which has a killer up hill to the parking lot. I would say that hike to the parking lot was the hardest part because the hill is constant until the parking lot.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

This is a very manageable family trail... my wife, 11 and 6 year old all navigated well. We got an early start (7 ish) and passed or were passed by very few on the way out. Alberta Falls before the sun was overhead was fantastic.. Stopped for a light snack at the lake (very nice view). Weather was perfect - 60's on the way out - upper 70's on the way back. Sunny the whole way.

69 Completed 39 Reviews

Awesome hike pass Alberta falls to Mills Lake, were able to do black lake. It was blocked of and a bad trail. Next time.

Support