Mohawk Lakes

HARD
#2 of 136 trails in Pike National Forest
true
Mohawk Lakes is a 6.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Breckenridge, CO that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from July until September. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

dog friendly fishing fly fishing hiking cross country skiing horses forest lake river views waterfall wild flowers rocky snow
Hide Map

Mohawk Lakes is a 6.8 mile out and back trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for camping, fishing, fly fishing & hiking. To connect to the Mohawk Lake Trail, you can begin at the Spruce Creek Trailhead (1.7 miles long). This part of the hike is least strenuous and takes you through a lodgepole pine and aspen forest. You can either park at the Spruce Creek Trailhead or continue up the road (4WD needed - FDR 803) to hook up with Mohawk Lake Trail.

Andrew S.

Incredibly beautiful hike but you need to get up and hike early in the morning because of the crowds.

Debbie Gregory

26 Completed0 Reviews

This is my all time favorite trail in Colorado;It has everything;in the Summer there are wildflowers galore, waterfalls,alpine lakes, old log home;saw mountain sheep on our hike

Nicholas James

1 Completed0 Reviews

Great hike, definitely recommend it. Nice incline towards the end also

Jesse Csincsak

42 Completed11 Reviews

Such an amazing area I highly recommend however bring a lot of water and a camera you will want both !!

Kyle Sawatzke

9 Completed6 Reviews

Melanie Mcwhorter

1 Completed1 Reviews

Dominic Angiollo

29 Completed9 Reviews

Beautiful trail -- one of the best I've done in CO. Headed out around 745 on a Saturday in October -- very few people on the trail on the way up, but was getting crowded as I headed down. Several of us brought our dogs and let them off leash -- great trail for dogs. Definitely longer than 6.3 miles if you go to the upper lake...our GPS registered about 10 miles roundtrip.

Dominic Angiollo

Joan Walsh

5 Completed5 Reviews

Travis Knight

11 Completed6 Reviews

One of my favorite hikes I've done in Colorado. I went in July and there were lots of windflowers. This hike has woods to walk through at the beginning, water falls and flowers, and then two beautiful lakes and amazing views at the top.

Greg Belcik

11 Completed4 Reviews

Went backpacking to the unnamed lakes past Upper Mohawk Lake. I tried driving down the rocky road but ended up having to stop 25% of the way in and hiked the rest of the way. Beautiful hike with lots to see, but it is very crowded. If you plan on camping, you will probably want to continue past Upper Mohawk, as there are not alot of spots

Lori Hagy

3 Completed3 Reviews

Loved this hike. Mohawk lake is beautiful.

Kelly Davis

1 Completed1 Reviews

Tami Eenhuis

3 Completed4 Reviews

Not sure the 6.8 out and back is correct. Spruce Creek to Mowhawk Lake trails is 3.4, then 1.5 to upper lake. Awesome hike though. Using the switchbacks may have been easier than going up the waterfall using the cable, but live and learn.

Steve McDonald

5 Completed1 Reviews

We liked this hike a lot. There were a lot of people but it was Labor Day weekend so it was to be expected. It has some challenging areas, particularly if you go straight up some of the rocky areas. Beautiful lakes and falls. When it says go to the end of the road for the trailhead, this is much further than you may at first think. We parked probably two miles down the road from the trailhead where we saw a lot of other cars parked.

Mike N.

Beautiful hike, but I would not recommend bringing your dog. Crowded with many steep, narrow sections towards the top and we ran into many dogs not on leashes!

Paige Waller