Mohawk Lakes

#2 of 207 trails in Pike National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Mohawk Lakes is a 6.8 mile out and back trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for camping, fishing, fly fishing & hiking.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Wanton Taco (86)

4 Completed4 Reviews

Looking for a challenging trail with an AMAZING reward of natural beauty????? Then you must do this trail. Up front though keep in mind, this is not an easy trail, it is a steady climb upwards for the first section but then the incline seems to double for the second half. It combines easy to follow trails with some rock scrambles but believe me when I say it is all worth it. These lakes are the defining picture of beauty and trust me when I say, finish the trail all the way to the upper lake. Yes you will already be tired, yes the last thing you will want to do is push that last 1/4 of a mile but that upper lake and the surrounding vistas are unparalleled.

Bethany Brown (515)

42 Completed20 Reviews

Craig Lowary (222)

7 Completed6 Reviews

Great hike, but it's a popular one!

Lindsey Grace (134)

18 Completed1 Reviews

This is one of the most gorgeous hikes I've ever been on, and I grew up here in Colorado! Beautiful views and things to see the whole way up, and then getting to the lakes is amazing. I couldn't stop taking pictures. We went up the mountain along the waterfall (Kind of scaled up the rocks) - but there is an easier route (more like switchbacks) that take you to the same place. Getting to the trail head definitely requires an SUV or truck, or you can park further away and just walk to the trail head. I can't wait to do this hike again, hopefully do some backpacking and camp up there :)

Thomas Dailey (37)

1 Completed1 Reviews

If you have the energy, keep going past the upper lake. The views and solitude are unlike any other hike.

Keith Walter (105)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Great Hike - this has got to be a classic; quintessential Colorado! Starts with a Pine-Forest that gets a bit craggy after a couple miles. There are several places to camp along the trail, but suggest heading to the lakes at the top. Awesome log-cabin ruins, and the trail criss-crosses a broken cable-car system several times, until you find the crumpled top of this cable-system. Got there by 7AM with only a dozen cars and not too many people on the trail (mostly those coming down from camping). Trail was crowed on the way down, and these late-comers were not nearly as friendly and happy as the early-starters...

sara tumbarella (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

This hike was absolutely amazing! We had a group of four and it was unclear where the path to the lakes actually was. We ended up asking a few people and found out that we really had three different options:
Option 1: Drive approximately 2 miles passed the trail head until the road ends and the trail begins.
Option 2: Talk the Spruce Creek Tr. (which is marked) located towards the middle of the parking lot on the left (if you are facing the trail head sign). This is beautiful and much nicer than walking up the super bumpy road.
Option 3: Park at the trail head and walk up the road and approximately two miles until you dead end at the trail head.
Once you get closer to the lakes the path gets harder to find. After the ruins you will see continental falls to your right and the path will veer left. There are piles of stones strategically placed to mark the trail to lower Mohawk lake. From the lower lake you continue left up the path until you reach upper Mohawk lake.

Jeff Line (431)

11 Completed11 Reviews

Made the hike with my wife, kids (then 9 and 11) and sister in law. We cheated about 3 miles as my sister in law drove us up part way in her Jeep. Saw a moose and its baby on the way in. It was about 60 degrees and sprinkling but the trails are well kept and there were very few slips. The falls were very pretty and the mine ruins made for some interesting finds for the kids. There were trout everywhere at the top, wish we brought our poles.

Ronald Quay Sr (123)

18 Completed3 Reviews

Going to hike this one soon and was hoping to camp and do some exploring. Are you able to stay in the cabin at the lakes. looking at the picture of the letter it looks like you can. If anyone knows let me know please. Put Mohawk lake in the subject line if you email me. Thanks

Chad Spandet (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

This was an outstanding hike. We took a group of 7 which was made up of all novice hikers. The views were unmatched as far as anything I've seen in a couple of trips out to Colorado. One word of advice, if you plan to take this trail, drive the extra 2 miles up to the trail head on the "4WD road". If you have a SUV / truck that is at all capable it is well worth saving the walk. We saw RAV4s, CR-Vs, etc. all the way up so clearly you don't need a 4WD made for off roading. The hike itself was strenuous but manageable. 5 out of 7 of us made it to the upper lake with the other 2 waiting at the lower lake.

Pros:
-Amazing views - large waterfall (continental falls), multiple lakes (Mayflower, Lower, Upper, several small lakes)
-Great spots for resting / pictures / picnic / etc.
-Mixture of terrain and environment

Cons:
-Trail is not well marked at all; lost trail between lower and upper lake. Ended up scrambling up rocky ascent to crest over the hill to the upper lake. Thankfully we were able to connect to the trail at the lake.
-Path to the trailhead is very long (~2 miles) if you decide to park in the first lot
-Super busy even on Monday. We arrived at 5:50 a.m. and I think were the first to the top but on the way down it was extremely crowded. By the time we made it back the parking lot it was completely full with cars lining the narrow road in. Arrive early!

Support