Mohawk Lakes

#3 of 207 trails in Pike National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Mohawk Lakes is a 6.8 mile out and back trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for camping, fishing, fly fishing & hiking.

To connect to the Mohawk Lake Trail, you can begin at the Spruce Creek Trailhead (1.7 miles long). This part of the hike is least strenuous and takes you through a lodgepole pine and aspen forest.

You can either park at the Spruce Creek Trailhead or continue up the road (4WD needed - FDR 803) to hook up with Mohawk Lake Trail.

Take Spruce Creek Rd., just to the left of Goose Pasture Tarn and go as far as you can on this road.

Picture?width=50&height=50

11 Completed 6 Reviews

I love this hike. Pack a snack or a lunch & try to make it up to Upper Mohawk. Worth it! It's fun to come up to Upper and have the lake at eye level. Trippy for sure. I haven't fished there yet but heard it's good catching. I usually hike in my trail running shoes but hiking shoes are a better choice on this trail although my trail runners are mostly fine... If you must hike on a weekend day, go early, otherwise you'll likely be in a line of people climbing up or coming down. Not fun for someone looking for some solitude in nature. If you have a car that can handle it, try to drive up as far as you can before parking. Worth it to expend your energy on the trail rather than on the rocky dirt road. Enjoy!

John Wetters

8 Completed 6 Reviews

Liked miners cabin near the top

Icon_

3 Completed 3 Reviews

Both Spruce and Mohawk Lakes trails were very nice (too late of a start to go to the upper Mohawk Lake) but still a little damp from the snow melt. The wild flowers on Mayflower and Mohawk Lakes trails were very abundant and the lower Mohawk Lake was well worth the steep climb. It took us 5 hours at a leisurely pace with many stops, including lunch at the Mayflower Lake. Don’t forget to bring mosquito repellent this time of the year, the insects were relentless. The mountains are really pretty this time of the year.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Great hike, start early to avoid the crowds. First the water falls, then the lower lake, then the upper lake, then you can push past to an upper scenic vista. Well worth the effort. Get in early before the clouds roll in. You will be rewarded if you make it to the upper lake for sure.

Chase Vonfeldt

3 Completed 3 Reviews

Steep, wet, rocky, but a lot of views and we made it to the lower lake upper is impossible to reach and a lot of old cabins and a mine

3 Completed 2 Reviews

We easily made it to the lower Mohawk Lake. It was a little muddy and snow packed but worth it. The views are amazing

11 Completed 9 Reviews

Muddy through woods but passable. Snow pack along entire trail makes use of walking stick or trekking poles a good idea.

Icon_072fa4a73a6799d09e3391b87bab144c

6 Completed 6 Reviews

Only made it to Mayflower Lake due to deep snow. I fell a few times on the snow banks and twisted my ankle, but it was fine. It could get more dangerous as the snow melts and gets mushy. Beware. I wish I had crampons and snowshoes so I could make it to Lower Mowhawk Lake. Definitely still a beautiful hike, just be ready for slick!

Icon_

26 Completed 2 Reviews

On June 8, 2014, only made it to the Wheeler trail intersection before turning around due to deep snow. About 90 percent of the trail snow covered from 1-2 feet up to that point, but packed down and hikeable. However, it became increasingly difficult to continue without spikes or snowshoes and with the weather threatening we made the decision to turn around. Nice view of Continental Falls at that point though. Would love to return when the snow is gone.

Picture?width=50&height=50

1 Completed 1 Reviews

My husband and I went on this hike during an odd season, the last weekend in October. Since there was already some snow on the ground, this made the trail a bit more challenging, and we were only able to reach the mine before having to turn around. The first bit of the hike along Spruce Creek Trailhead was nice and easy (through the alpine forest), but as the ascent became more difficult I found myself slipping on the snow and ice. I'm definitely not the most experienced hiker (I'd say I'm intermediate), but it was too risky for us to go much further. I really wanted to reach the Lakes, but honestly, the views were so remarkable that it didn't matter. If I didn't know there actually WERE lakes on this trail, I still would have gone! It was awesome, and I look forward to returning in the summertime when the paths are clearer.

On another website, this hike is listed as moderate. Portions of it are definitely moderate, but there are some areas I would classify as difficult. The terrain is rocky and in snow, a bit treacherous. Don't let it deter you, though! Just be prepared. The right footwear and layers are key. I was comfortable in a fleece, wicking undershirt, and wool headband in 40-degree temps (with abundant CO sunshine!)

I took us about 5 hours roundtrip to get to the disheveled mine and back. My husband and I like to make stops, take pictures, though. If you do too, plan on a full day of hiking and don't ignore the locals' advice to start early (and a hot tub afterwards... YOU MUST have a hot tub soak afterwards!)

Support