Mohawk Lakes

#2 of 207 trails in Pike National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Mohawk Lakes is a 6.8 mile out and back trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for camping, fishing, fly fishing & hiking.

To connect to the Mohawk Lake Trail, you can begin at the Spruce Creek Trailhead (1.7 miles long). This part of the hike is least strenuous and takes you through a lodgepole pine and aspen forest.

You can either park at the Spruce Creek Trailhead or continue up the road (4WD needed - FDR 803) to hook up with Mohawk Lake Trail.

Take Spruce Creek Rd., just to the left of Goose Pasture Tarn and go as far as you can on this road.

14 Completed 3 Reviews

Going to hike this one soon and was hoping to camp and do some exploring. Are you able to stay in the cabin at the lakes. looking at the picture of the letter it looks like you can. If anyone knows let me know please. Put Mohawk lake in the subject line if you email me. Thanks

1 Completed 1 Reviews

This was an outstanding hike. We took a group of 7 which was made up of all novice hikers. The views were unmatched as far as anything I've seen in a couple of trips out to Colorado. One word of advice, if you plan to take this trail, drive the extra 2 miles up to the trail head on the "4WD road". If you have a SUV / truck that is at all capable it is well worth saving the walk. We saw RAV4s, CR-Vs, etc. all the way up so clearly you don't need a 4WD made for off roading. The hike itself was strenuous but manageable. 5 out of 7 of us made it to the upper lake with the other 2 waiting at the lower lake.

Pros:
-Amazing views - large waterfall (continental falls), multiple lakes (Mayflower, Lower, Upper, several small lakes)
-Great spots for resting / pictures / picnic / etc.
-Mixture of terrain and environment

Cons:
-Trail is not well marked at all; lost trail between lower and upper lake. Ended up scrambling up rocky ascent to crest over the hill to the upper lake. Thankfully we were able to connect to the trail at the lake.
-Path to the trailhead is very long (~2 miles) if you decide to park in the first lot
-Super busy even on Monday. We arrived at 5:50 a.m. and I think were the first to the top but on the way down it was extremely crowded. By the time we made it back the parking lot it was completely full with cars lining the narrow road in. Arrive early!

Picture?width=50&height=50

11 Completed 6 Reviews

I love this hike. Pack a snack or a lunch & try to make it up to Upper Mohawk. Worth it! It's fun to come up to Upper and have the lake at eye level. Trippy for sure. I haven't fished there yet but heard it's good catching. I usually hike in my trail running shoes but hiking shoes are a better choice on this trail although my trail runners are mostly fine... If you must hike on a weekend day, go early, otherwise you'll likely be in a line of people climbing up or coming down. Not fun for someone looking for some solitude in nature. If you have a car that can handle it, try to drive up as far as you can before parking. Worth it to expend your energy on the trail rather than on the rocky dirt road. Enjoy!

John Wetters

8 Completed 6 Reviews

Liked miners cabin near the top

Icon_

3 Completed 3 Reviews

Both Spruce and Mohawk Lakes trails were very nice (too late of a start to go to the upper Mohawk Lake) but still a little damp from the snow melt. The wild flowers on Mayflower and Mohawk Lakes trails were very abundant and the lower Mohawk Lake was well worth the steep climb. It took us 5 hours at a leisurely pace with many stops, including lunch at the Mayflower Lake. Don’t forget to bring mosquito repellent this time of the year, the insects were relentless. The mountains are really pretty this time of the year.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Great hike, start early to avoid the crowds. First the water falls, then the lower lake, then the upper lake, then you can push past to an upper scenic vista. Well worth the effort. Get in early before the clouds roll in. You will be rewarded if you make it to the upper lake for sure.

Chase Vonfeldt

3 Completed 3 Reviews

Steep, wet, rocky, but a lot of views and we made it to the lower lake upper is impossible to reach and a lot of old cabins and a mine

3 Completed 2 Reviews

We easily made it to the lower Mohawk Lake. It was a little muddy and snow packed but worth it. The views are amazing

11 Completed 9 Reviews

Muddy through woods but passable. Snow pack along entire trail makes use of walking stick or trekking poles a good idea.

Icon_072fa4a73a6799d09e3391b87bab144c

7 Completed 7 Reviews

Only made it to Mayflower Lake due to deep snow. I fell a few times on the snow banks and twisted my ankle, but it was fine. It could get more dangerous as the snow melts and gets mushy. Beware. I wish I had crampons and snowshoes so I could make it to Lower Mowhawk Lake. Definitely still a beautiful hike, just be ready for slick!

Support