Mohawk Lakes

Breckenridge, CO
Share review on:

Thanks! How would you describe the trail and its activities?

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Mohawk Lakes is a 6.8 mile out and back trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for camping, fishing, fly fishing & hiking.

To connect to the Mohawk Lake Trail, you can begin at the Spruce Creek Trailhead (1.7 miles long). This part of the hike is least strenuous and takes you through a lodgepole pine and aspen forest.

You can either park at the Spruce Creek Trailhead or continue up the road (4WD needed - FDR 803) to hook up with Mohawk Lake Trail.

Take Spruce Creek Rd., just to the left of Goose Pasture Tarn and go as far as you can on this road.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

My husband and I went on this hike during an odd season, the last weekend in October. Since there was already some snow on the ground, this made the trail a bit more challenging, and we were only able to reach the mine before having to turn around. The first bit of the hike along Spruce Creek Trailhead was nice and easy (through the alpine forest), but as the ascent became more difficult I found myself slipping on the snow and ice. I'm definitely not the most experienced hiker (I'd say I'm intermediate), but it was too risky for us to go much further. I really wanted to reach the Lakes, but honestly, the views were so remarkable that it didn't matter. If I didn't know there actually WERE lakes on this trail, I still would have gone! It was awesome, and I look forward to returning in the summertime when the paths are clearer.

On another website, this hike is listed as moderate. Portions of it are definitely moderate, but there are some areas I would classify as difficult. The terrain is rocky and in snow, a bit treacherous. Don't let it deter you, though! Just be prepared. The right footwear and layers are key. I was comfortable in a fleece, wicking undershirt, and wool headband in 40-degree temps (with abundant CO sunshine!)

I took us about 5 hours roundtrip to get to the disheveled mine and back. My husband and I like to make stops, take pictures, though. If you do too, plan on a full day of hiking and don't ignore the locals' advice to start early (and a hot tub afterwards... YOU MUST have a hot tub soak afterwards!)

Person_placeholder

4 Completed 1 Reviews

Must Do this Hike!!!! It covers so many different scenes from meadows, waterfalls, and of course the Lakes! Breath taking views nearly the whole time! It's a long hike definitely bring some water and food to snack on!

5 Completed 5 Reviews

An amazing and moderate hike with an amazing prize at the end. It will take between 3 and 4 hours, depending on the break-time you take at the top, which I must say its worth every minute your spend there. If the sky is clear and you have enough oxygen in your lungs and time, do not hesitate to hike all the way to the upper trail. I travel every summer to Breckenridge, and the Mohawk lakes are a must. In winter is closed, but you could hike with snowshoes from the trail head to the pond on the lower trail and get magnificent views of the frozen falls.

17 Completed 16 Reviews

The final assent is a little difficult but not more than moderate. The lower lake makes it well worth it. Mosquitos were really bad even in full day light. Bring repellant in the summer. Camp site was nice. A Few other over nighters but vey peaceful. Past the lower lake the trail is a bit hard to find so just follow the forest service boundary markers.

6 Completed 5 Reviews

Pretty rough trail, but definitely worth it at the top. The views were incredible! Go early to avoid traffic and the rain.

22 Completed 19 Reviews

Awesome trail, but fairly crowded. Well worth the effort to reach the Mohawk Lakes.

Person_placeholder

Stacie Gonzalez

3 Completed 1 Reviews

I've hiked this trail a couple of times and it's absolutely beautiful and worth every mile! Thought I'd give it another try this past weekend (May 26) and, unfortunately, didn't get very far. There was still WAY too much snow. We hiked the service road up to the trail head and then turned around after a couple of cross-country skiers and snowboarders (haha!) told us it was only going to get worse. It was a beautiful day but the snow on the service road was knee-deep in places with wet, melting snow. Snowshoes may have helped get us a bit further but I don't think this trail is really hikeable until mid-June. A safer bet would be the end of June. Darn it! Really wanted to get up to the pristine, beautiful lakes.

Icon_5550e1165702334b6ba5fcdd531b1f72

39 Completed 9 Reviews

My favorite trail- It has a little of everything;old homestead and mines, apline lakes,waterfalls, and an abundance of wildflowers in the Summer.
I rate this one as moderate.
This trail is quite popular and therefor gets very busy.I recommend going early before the crowds come

Icon_ce2a2aca53d861755b529e4b5e14b1d3

3 Completed 3 Reviews

Fabulous hike, beautiful views, and perfect weather. Great intermediate hike. Light traffic early in the day, gets busier in the afternoon. Will do again, loved this one.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Really nice hike but very busy on the weekend. Great tree cover for the first few miles until you get to the lakes which are above treeline. Neat remnants of mining equipment and cabins combined with the natural waterfalls and views of the divide. Would highly recommend leaving early and trying to beat the crowd. I would say it is between beginner and intermediate with a couple areas you need to scramble up.

Support