Spruce Mountain Open Space Trail

#3 of 207 trails in Pike National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Spruce Mountain Open Space Trail is a 5.5 mile loop trail that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is good for all skill levels offers a number of activity options and is accessible from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I-25 S to Larkspur Exit. Go south on Spruce Mountain Road 6 miles (one mile past the intersection with Noe Road). Trailhead for cars is on right.

Picture?width=50&height=50

1 Completed 1 Reviews

This is runner nirvana. Nice, soft trails with a decent amount of challenge and excellent views. You can easily add side trails and loops to increase your run to 8 to 10 miles.

23 Completed 9 Reviews

Good hike especially if you live nearby.Good for hikers,bikers and is dogs friendly The scenery is relaxing. I took the sevice road towards thw end, it is steep like the signs warn but what a good workout. I'd like to try this trail one more time before summer ends.

Picture?width=50&height=50

6 Completed 2 Reviews

I wanted a change of scenery and this place was close by. I enjoyed it. Its a decent hike. Probably not one I'll come back to time and time again though.

3 Completed 3 Reviews

Nice views for the ease of the hike. My now-roommates took me on this one when I visited, definitely helped convince me to move to Colorado!

2 Completed 2 Reviews

Great hike to do with kids. Mine enjoy it every time.

4 Completed 2 Reviews

Great hike!! Love the views.

Chuck Masters

13 Completed 13 Reviews

Nice leisurely stroll. Nice views.

5 Completed 2 Reviews

Great hike! Lots to look at. The service road is steep & a good workout for hikers.

9 Completed 4 Reviews

We love this trail. We have done it a few times with kids (ages 6-11) and it was fun for all. Beautiful views and foliage. Nicely maintained. Small parking area gets full fast and its a popular trail so don't expect to feel secluded if that's what you are looking for.

24 Completed 9 Reviews

First time hiking this with my Akita. LOVED the trails - you get plenty of sunshine and shade. Nicely groomed trails with superb vistas. As horses and mountain bikers are welcome, and as a courtesy to all, if you take small children and / or dogs, please keep them close to you as there are many blind corners - keeps all safe. Very, very nice trail system - we will definitely return!

Support