The Incline Trail

#1 of 1 trails in Manitou Park Recreation Area

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

The Incline Trail is a 3 mile loop trail located near Manitou Springs, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for hiking & trail running and is accessible from May until October.

The trail is the remains of a cog railway that went to the top of Manitou Mountain. The trail gains about 2000 feet of elevation in about a mile. Imagine climbing a rough uneven set of stairs that's a mile long. There is a bail out about half way up that will put you on barr trail. Beware of the false summit just past the bail out. Once you're at the top you can hike back down the incline, or turn south and hike or run back down barr trail. The view from the top over Colorado Springs is worth the effort. This is a great trail for training and it is what most people use it for. As of right now it is illegal to hike the incline, it's private property and hiking it is concidered trespassing. Of course, this doesn't stop hundreds of people from doing it every week, but hike at your own risk.

From Colorado Springs go west on Hwy 24 to the Manitou Springs exit. Go south through Manitou springs. Turn south (left) at ruxton ave (the round about) and go to the end of the road. The Barr Trail parking lot is at the very end of the street on the right, just past the cog railway.

Park at the Barr Trail trailhead. There is limited parking there so if you can't find a spot you'll need to park on the side of the street. Be careful not to park at the cog railway or at the resteraunt, they will tow your car.

16 Completed 1 Reviews

Legit thought I was going to stop breathing at some point. Wanted to quit no less than 8 times.
But the friends I went with were super motivating & didn't knock me for taking breaks. Totally climbed up at least 3 steps with hands & knees, like some old mountain goat.
Bottom line: Although it kicked my ass, I LOVED IT & will absolutely do it again, aiming for a shorter time.

4 Completed 4 Reviews

A must do, at least once just to say you did it. You meet very nice people on the way up.

4 Completed 4 Reviews

So much fun! I've done this hike a few times. I tend to let just enough time go by in between that I forget how tough it is! The steps seem to get bigger and bigger (which some do). I've been known to hands and knee it at points... Don't tell anyone in your group about the bailout point. People will probably be tempted.... Beautiful views of Manitou Springs the entire way up. It is a killer workout. Your legs will feel shaky by the end. Such a challenge and fun to try to beat previous times. Don't try it if you're really out of shape. It's a heart attack waiting to happen.

3 Completed 3 Reviews

First attempt at the incline was very challenging. Having arrived in Colorado Springs three days before we were still gasping for air. Took 68 minutes to reach summit. Hoping to try again in a month to see if we can get closer to 50 minutes.

9 Completed 4 Reviews

great work out.
I am used to run but this here kicked my ass!
A must do.

14 Completed 10 Reviews

This is a must for anyone in the area! Your first attempt might be a bitch, but its well worth it! Be sure to do it soon as they will be doing repairs on it, but hopefully after that it will be better looking than before! Never would I have climbing up stairs would be this tough!

10 Completed 4 Reviews

The incline has ascending "stairs" just under a mile up the mountain. They are the remnants of the old cog railroad. Hence, you can see old ties and scrap metal. Not easy on the knees but a great workout, especially when you think of the ice cold margaritas awaiting you at The Loop just down the mountain. Deliciously earned. The trail though has become insanely over crowded these past 3/4 years.

Icon_

9 Completed 7 Reviews

I have acrophobia but glad I made it to the summit. It's a kick-butt trail physically & emotionally challenging for someone with that kind of fear, but just keep looking up. We were gonna bail out because the steepness in the middle is the one that shook me but we went over 5 steps above the exit. It was easier for my mind to process going up, than go back down 5 steps so I kept moving up. So glad I did. The hikers there are super friendly & encouraging.

8 Completed 5 Reviews

This was a very challenging trail. It is a mile up the mountain but it has over 2000 steps and an incline of over 40 degrees. I did it in 45 min with stopping to take pictures and I reached the eagles peak in 55 min. The eagles peak is another .1 miles above the summit, it has an incredible view but it can be a bit hard to reach since you have to climb up some rocks. Bring Water I went through about 2 Liters over the whole hike.

13 Completed 12 Reviews

Kicks your butt! Not for weak hearted and legged!

Took the incline stairs to get up and Barr trail on way back.

Support