The Incline Trail

#1 of 1 trails in Manitou Park Recreation Area

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

The Incline Trail is a 3 mile loop trail located near Manitou Springs, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for hiking & trail running and is accessible from May until October.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Matthew Van Vliet (75)

8 Completed4 Reviews

Favorite trail to hike/run(speed walk) when I do not have a lot of time. Unfortunately the trail is currently closed for repairs but I did get it in a couple times this summer before they started. Ready for it to open back up and try setting a personal best. If you come to Colorado this is a must on the list to accomplish.

Chris Ludwiczak (117)

15 Completed1 Reviews

I didn't see the review below and found out the hard way that this trail is closed, oops.

Shawn Gadwa (67)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Very good workout, my heart was definitely elevated. I give this 4 stars because it was quite dangerous in areas. Fortunately it is closed for repairs now and I plan to walk up the incline regularly when it is back.

Robert Logan (534)

4 Completed4 Reviews

This trail is amazing. The Incline is famous for its sweeping views and steep grade, as steep as 68% in places,making it a fitness challenge for locals in the Colorado Springs area. The incline gains over 2,000 feet (610 m) of elevation in less than one mile.
I have lived in colorado springs for so long and have never had the opportunity to do this trail sad to hear they are going to close it. I hope just to renovate it, alot of wash out and exposed rebar is probably the reason why. very physical trail and super busy on weekends, if you can make it to top with out 1-2 stops your a champ

Jacqueline Jones (43)

4 Completed1 Reviews

Totally loved this trail. My daughter and I did this together, in the drizzle filled but warm month of July. It took us an hour and 10 mins to make it to the top and then a great easy fast walk back down the trail. There were all kinds of folks taking this trip some made it, some didn't. Suggest you try early am on a weekday (soon it closes for repairs) lots of traffic up and down, take your time, breathe, enjoy the views, breathe, people are friendly and the summit is worth the pain of the altitude gain.

IKE MCMILLAN (336)

236 Completed3 Reviews

I hate this..... I mean love this trail. We have a very unique relationship. Great trail to get you prepared for climbing or hiking the 14ers in this wonderful state. I understand why they are doing it, but the trail will be closed next week (3 months) for repairs.

Cecile Toomey (108)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Kicked my butt!!! I'm not a fan of stairs so I didn't like doing this. But every time I turned around, that view just made me smile. The feeling of accomplishment when I reached the top was exhilarating. The trail going down was fun and beautiful.

Natalie . (98)

17 Completed1 Reviews

Legit thought I was going to stop breathing at some point. Wanted to quit no less than 8 times.
But the friends I went with were super motivating & didn't knock me for taking breaks. Totally climbed up at least 3 steps with hands & knees, like some old mountain goat.
Bottom line: Although it kicked my ass, I LOVED IT & will absolutely do it again, aiming for a shorter time.

Stacey Eikenbary (134)

4 Completed4 Reviews

A must do, at least once just to say you did it. You meet very nice people on the way up.

Chantel Brewer (126)

4 Completed4 Reviews

So much fun! I've done this hike a few times. I tend to let just enough time go by in between that I forget how tough it is! The steps seem to get bigger and bigger (which some do). I've been known to hands and knee it at points... Don't tell anyone in your group about the bailout point. People will probably be tempted.... Beautiful views of Manitou Springs the entire way up. It is a killer workout. Your legs will feel shaky by the end. Such a challenge and fun to try to beat previous times. Don't try it if you're really out of shape. It's a heart attack waiting to happen.

Support