Ute Trail (Aspen)

#1 of 2 trails in Ajax Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Ute Trail (Aspen) is a 2.2 mile out and back trail located near Aspen, Colorado and is rated as moderate. The trail is composed of mostly short switchbacks up the forested mountainside that climb over 1200ft; so may provide additional difficulty to hikers unused to this sort of elevation or climb.

Icon_

2 Completed 3 Reviews

Made it!

I came back this season, when I had time, and I was about to do the whole trail up to the Aspen Mountain Sundeck in 2 hours.

If it wasn't for the walking stick, I'm not sure I would have made it. It helped with leverage and balance. I didn't bring water. Next time I will.

Overall it's a great challenge because it rises fast and is rocky. Once making it through the trees it eases up towards the Sundeck but it is still an assent.

Glad I did it.

Person_placeholder

Lara M

7 Completed 5 Reviews

The first part of the Ute trial to the lookout rock is very challenging. I like to continue on, ascend through the trees, experience meadows of wild flowers and enjoy the views at the top of Aspen Mountain. The hike to the top is about 1.5-2 hours. The Gondola ride down is beautiful.

Icon_

2 Completed 3 Reviews

I didn't make it to the top, but pretty close. I'll be back soon. Need to use moleskin for my feet because blisters stopped me. Also, I need a hiking stick to help leverage a bit.

Beautiful stuff. Looking forward to finishing this one!

Picture?width=50&height=50

2 Completed 1 Reviews

Ute is a great trail and I recommend it for the beginning of your trip because it is pretty hard and honestly will kick your ass. what this website doesn't tell you is that it is super steep and it never flattens out. its straight up the whole way there so be prepared!

Person_placeholder

3 Completed 1 Reviews

This was a very challenging trail, very steep and not for the faint of heart. The ute portion ends at an amazing lookout over the town of Aspen and makes this hike very satisfying. The trail then continues up the Aspen Ajax mountain to the Aspen Gondola and will take about 3 - 3 1/2 hours in total. An exhilarating accomplishment.

Icon_13d7cd2ec5fbedc2994e91d4b7938df7

20 Completed 8 Reviews

This was a challenging hike with an elev gain of 1500 feet in one mile. The views of Aspen from the summit are incredible and worth the effort. The path is uneven with many switchbacks. Aspen Fall colors were at their peak creating a very colorful display. The Ute Cemetery is close by and dates back to the 1800s. Including a tour of the cemetery, the hike took 2+ hours. I highly recommend it!

Support