Ute Trail

MODERATE
#1 of 3 trails in Ajax Park
true
Ute Trail is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Aspen, CO that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

dog friendly hiking trail running forest views wild flowers wildlife
Hide Map

Tim Heuser

5 Completed1 Reviews

Was a fun hike. Steep and fairly shaded for a hot day

Caitlin Sanders

24 Completed18 Reviews

Taylor Widmann

2 Completed1 Reviews

Awesome!

Michael D.

Very nice trail. A little crowded even for a Tuesday morning hike so I wouldn't rate it a five star but it is a very nice hike with a nice view at the top. I would also rate this a moderate hike not easy. If you are used to the altitude it will be an easy moderate but many going up were breathing pretty hard and stopping often. Either way. Well worth the walk.

Delon Nelson

3 Completed3 Reviews

Amazing views and always a great way to recharge system when visiting Aspen!

Delon Nelson

3 Completed3 Reviews

Love hiking this trail! One of my all time favorites!!

Jack Nichols

2 Completed2 Reviews

Awesome hike for a quick but still strenuous workout. Great view of Aspen and the valley at the top.

Marty Bicknell

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great hike.

Karen Soltes

9 Completed2 Reviews

Nice hike but can get crowded the later you go
Short and energetic!

Chris Cole

14 Completed2 Reviews

Steep and busy. I started around 10am on a Wednesday and passed about 30 people on the way up. Great view of the town. Take and extra bottle of water and a bar and hike it all the way to the top of Aspen Mtn.

Eve Orr

8 Completed10 Reviews

Awesome payoff at the top! I would not rate this as an Easy trail unless you are accustomed to hiking at this altitude. It's steep and rocky and beautiful - well worth repeating over and over.

hovik abramian

1 Completed2 Reviews

Five friends from LA, great hike, great views of Aspen, a perfect day.

hovik abramian

1 Completed2 Reviews

Great hike, 1,200 elevation gain, 19 switchbacks, challenging, especially for a 76 year old. Loved it

Todd Jasina

28 Completed7 Reviews

Great hike. Switch backs up the mountain. Epic views of Aspen from the top. 1200 feet of elevation gain from the trail head makes it challenging especially if you are not used to the high altitude of Colorado. Highly recommend this hike.

jutta scarry

20 Completed28 Reviews

Rob St. Mary

2 Completed3 Reviews

Made it!

I came back this season, when I had time, and I was about to do the whole trail up to the Aspen Mountain Sundeck in 2 hours.

If it wasn't for the walking stick, I'm not sure I would have made it. It helped with leverage and balance. I didn't bring water. Next time I will.

Overall it's a great challenge because it rises fast and is rocky. Once making it through the trees it eases up towards the Sundeck but it is still an assent.

Glad I did it.

Lara M.

The first part of the Ute trial to the lookout rock is very challenging. I like to continue on, ascend through the trees, experience meadows of wild flowers and enjoy the views at the top of Aspen Mountain. The hike to the top is about 1.5-2 hours. The Gondola ride down is beautiful.

Rob St. Mary

2 Completed3 Reviews

I didn't make it to the top, but pretty close. I'll be back soon. Need to use moleskin for my feet because blisters stopped me. Also, I need a hiking stick to help leverage a bit.

Beautiful stuff. Looking forward to finishing this one!

Courtney Scheffler

2 Completed1 Reviews

Ute is a great trail and I recommend it for the beginning of your trip because it is pretty hard and honestly will kick your ass. what this website doesn't tell you is that it is super steep and it never flattens out. its straight up the whole way there so be prepared!

Marc Rothman

3 Completed1 Reviews

This was a very challenging trail, very steep and not for the faint of heart. The ute portion ends at an amazing lookout over the town of Aspen and makes this hike very satisfying. The trail then continues up the Aspen Ajax mountain to the Aspen Gondola and will take about 3 - 3 1/2 hours in total. An exhilarating accomplishment.