Shingle Creek Trail: Pine Island East Loop

#1 of 1 trails in Shingle Creek

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Located within the hustle and bustle of urban Orlando, Shingle Creek provides a good look at the initial headwaters of the Everglades ecosystem. It's a great place to bike, hike, fish, kayak, canoe, and see wildlife. Canoe boat ramp available.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Alvin Olavarrieta (74)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Shingle Creek is a nice trail for mountain biking.

Wesley Cordero (57)

1 Completed1 Reviews

nice place

Michael Casey (72)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Pretty good dose of nature given the suburban location. We encountered a good bit of wildlife on our short excursion, including a couple small gators, a river otter, turtles, a water mocassin, and plenty of white ibis, great blue herons, and egrets. We started at the trail head behind Hunters Creek Middle School. There are now signs at the road directing you to trail parking which is in the same place as the school's bus entrance. Just past the trail head you'll walk across a bridge to the other side of the creek. The trail continues north along the side of the creek for about 1/4 mile, until you come to a power line clearing. We followed the power lines west to East Pine Loop and stopped at the first picnic area there for lunch. Our route ended up being about 2.5 miles round trip. The trail was pretty well marked, and the terrain is easy so long as it's dry. Only downside is the eyesore of the power lines/man-made drainage, and a bit of litter and graffiti near the trail head. Watch out for snakes and poison ivy.

Amy Howe (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

We started from behind the middle school. Yes it's a nice little oasis in the city at first but about 1/4 mile in you're in a big field with nothing but power lines. We took the east pine island loop. It was nice but nothing exciting. We'd go back again but only because it's a couple blocks from our home.

Jessica Bixby (6718)

35 Completed28 Reviews

So far I've found 4 different trailheads to Shingle creek. So it can be confusing. If you start from inside the neighborhood of Hunter's Creek then yeah it does seem like nothing but power lines. Starting from the school not so much. I've only been out to the pine island loop out there. The 1st time I was out there the trials were well marked. Now some are over grown & I think I ended up following an animal trial.

Jonathan Brumfield (374)

4 Completed4 Reviews

Hiked this trail today and have some advice to add to the list here for this trail. Someone else mentions that it should be called a walk along the power lines. They are not kidding I would say that more than half of the trail is a walk down primitive dirt road following high tension wires(it is a mile of walking along the power lines that you have to do both ways). There is no shade, no place to stop and water on both sides of you. So make sure that you have plenty of water, insect repellent and sunscreen. I also rolled the dice and got caught in 3 rain showers during this walk with no cover. And if you choose to do it during the hurricane season like I just did it might be better described a long slough through the mud under power lines as the ground was pretty well saturated the entire walk. Oh and it is mentioned elsewhere that you have to park behind the school. You will need to take the "Buses only" lane to get to the trail head where their is a lot of parking right there. I parked beside the school and walked past about 80 empty spaces to get to the trail head. The first part of the trail is in my opinion the only part worth walking but it is probably only about a half a mile, but there is tons of wildlife, especially birds. I saw Turkeys, Ibis, Anhingas, owls, hawks, lesser blue herons, egrets, etc... None the less this is a very easy trail and could easily be done by the all levels of hikers (of course I did just come back from a week of hiking in the smoky mountains so it seemed really flat)

Nick Kline (156)

2 Completed2 Reviews

very awsome scenery for canoeing, peacefull

Gilbert Young (432)

7 Completed1 Reviews

This is a run-down of all the interesting areas you can ride in Shingle Creek. I haven't been riding at too many places yet, but the side trails on this site would probably be considered on the short side but can be pretty technical. Some areas have e.g. lots of roots, then a bridge, then a bunch of trees on an uphill. Another area has a downhill, a bridge you have to turn to run across at the base of the hill, then an uphill with roots. There are two loops at Shingle Creek, but only one is accessible right now (the first loop). The other one is blocked by muck. The three main areas of interest are: 1) Cross the bridge at the trail entrance, turn right, follow the main trail out to the power lines, then turn left and follow the power lines to the first loop on the right, watch for the well worn path. There is a shaded pavilion near the loop start. The loop is a short endurance loop, some softer and/or grassy areas; 2) Cross the bridge at the trail entrance, turn left, this is a more technical area. some roots and a few tight spots where you have to watch the pedal position, etc; 3) Go to the canoe launch (opposite end of the parking lot from the main trail entrance), make a left when you get to the creek. This is the most difficult trail here, it goes awhile, under a few bridges, past a housing development, back into the woods, and pretty much stops at an area that overlooks a bridge along Town Center Boulevard. The beginning part of the trail is pretty technical, a lot of root watching, pedal height watching (some hidden tall roots), ups and downs, bridges, etc... but it is probably the most fun you will have here. If it is your first time here, do take your time and learn the paths before going breakneck speeds. There is some wildlife to be seen. The creek water is generally crystal clear and you can see fish if you stop and look. Also snakes, turtles, birds, alligators, I almost got bowled over by a deer crossing the path at the loop (feet between us). 7.3 miles, about 1.5 hours, assumes you do all the trails mentioned above once, moderate pace, taking two short breaks. It's a good ride, wear a helmet, bike safe and have fun.

Dan Pearo (383)

3 Completed3 Reviews

Finding the trail head was a little difficult as the parking area is actually behind the school. You have to turn into the bus lane and follow it around behind the school. When I pulled into the parking area, I was greeted by two big turkey gobblers. Evidently, they knew it was turkey season and had taken refuge on the school property. The trail head is very inviting, with a scenic view from the bridge crossing shingle creek. The trail then turns right along the creek and follows it approximately a half mile to the power lines. From here, it becomes more of a walk along the power lines than a scenic trail. I did see quite a few water foul and a couple of hawks. Great for the bird watchers. Of which, I am not and couldn't tell you what kind of birds I was looking at. There was an FWC Officer patrolling the trail and some young spring breakers were having some fun on their dirt bike. Although, they were very mindful of not tearing up the trail. The creek was definitely the high point of this hike and there is a launch site here for a canoe or kayak. That may be the better way to view this park.

Shane D (231)

7 Completed4 Reviews

I just moved to Hunters Creek from Knoxville and this was the first non-paved trail I've been on. It was a nice departure from the asphalt jungle that is Orlando. The trail head is right behind the middle school and starts on a wooden bridge. First impressions of the trail were very good as there was good scenery and bumps and mounds to cruise over. The beginning is wooded and runs right next to some swampy water. About a quarter of a mile after you start you will hit the power cut which is long and flat and pretty boring. Off of it is the East Pine Loop which was a rough trail about 1 to 2 miles long. I would avoid this as the trail got pretty soupy in spots and I was ATTACKED by big flies that enjoyed biting me. Oh yeah...bring bug spray! You will need it. After the East Pine Loop I got back on the power cut and found a sign for a West Pine Loop. It told me to go north along another power cut to find the loop so I did, but I don't think I ever found the trail. After about 2 miles the cut has a large swamp the breaks it up. I was tempted to carry my bike through it but decided against it. So at this point I went all the way back to the beginning of the trail right up to the wooden bridge but realized that there was a trail off to the left of the bridge as well. This was a much better section of trail and was some fun MTBing. So here's my advice: if you are biking this trail take a LEFT off the the initial bridge. It filters you right but go left. Overall I enjoyed the ride. It would have been better with some spray and some long socks both of which I won't forget next time. I live a mile away so I will be back, but the search will continue for trails with more difficulty and variety. Happy Trails!

Support