Bear Hair Gap Trail

#4 of 6 trails in Vogel State Park
Bear Hair Gap Trail is a 3.5 mile loop trail located near Suches, Georgia and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

3.81 miles Loop 800 feet
Dog Friendly
hiking dogs
Hide Map

Directions from Blairsville: Take US 19 and 129 south from Blairsville for 10 miles. Turn right into Vogel State Park.

Jason Reiling

62 Completed55 Reviews

Reviewing as part of Coosa Backcountry. You can take many ways around this large loop, and bear hair is a loop within a loop. We did this as part of hiking up to the AT and back down and did the rest of Coosa at a different time. This is a nice hike. Not a lot of adventure, pretty straightforward and if you tae the spur at the top you get some nice views.

Coosa Backcountry is a great rail and I highly recommend as loops of this perfect length, at about 13 miles, are hard to find. Noosa Bald is outstanding and I would like to camp there, but not too excited about carrying water up the climb. There are a lot of nice camp sights around the Coosa Backcountry and you can make it a really nice hike

Suzy McEver

6 Completed2 Reviews

Loved this trail! Nice and easy with little inclines but with very beautiful views, Saw several large snakes. Got caught in a thunderstorm at mile 2 but that made for a great trail run.

Nick Tippens

3 Completed3 Reviews

I did this trail in late February after a snow storm had hit north Georgia. There were about three inches of snow on the ground for almost the entire hike, which made it spectacularly beautiful. It is not a very strenuous hike, and would be good for someone trying to ease their way into day hiking. Make sure you take the little outlook loop about halfway around the main loop to get to the best view of the lake at the bottom of Vogel State Park as well as the mountains beyond. This is a really enjoyable hike that took us about 3 hours including a 25 minute break at the overlook and several photo stops along the way.

Bil Kennedy

31 Completed3 Reviews

it's alright, nothing spectacular.

Wendell Bohannon

46 Completed26 Reviews

Easy trail with a couple of small stream crossings requiring rock jumping and limb balancing.

Ashley Pollette

45 Completed35 Reviews

My thirteen-year-old grandsons loved this hike. We did not have the pleasure of seeing a bear or bear hair, but came across some fresh scat that was interesting to those in the group who had never seen bear scat. We also found a ringneck snake, which the boys caught, examined and then released. This is a great family hike.

Michael Martinson

9 Completed4 Reviews

Was a nicer trail than I had anticipated. Nothing spectacular about it, it was just enjoyable. Did well to make me feel like I was really away from everything, out in the middle of nowhere. I did the trail clockwise, which left the majority of the elevation climb in a short horizontal distance. The other direction would have allowed for a continuous low slope, would have been much easier. Was perfect for my dog, she loved to stop at all the stream for a quick dip.

Matt Ayers

50 Completed20 Reviews

Started at Vogel and you follow the creek up the mountain, did this in January and it had just rained so the waterfalls were awesome! When we got to the top we took the added mile to the top of blood mountain which I highly recommend for the spectacular views! Only note I would add is if you want to hike the loop counter clockwise go right at the 4way intersection. The signs are not clear and we went straight which was still fun but running out of daylight we had to retrace our steps and missed out on the doing the whole loop.

Hiking Diva .

114 Completed89 Reviews

Arrived later than anticipated at Vogel State Park, and wanted to "do" Bear Hair Gap Trail and get to walk-in campsite before dark... So I didn't take as many pictures or make as many mental notes as I normally do. I rated it moderate because there are some inclines. The views were okay and there are some nice sections by a creek.

The trail is a loop, you can start from either direction. I went counter-clockwise. The trail was in pretty good condition, but there were sections that required you to watch your step (rocky, rooty). Was not particularly challenging, but there was a slight incline to get the heart pumping.

Definitely take the time to do the Vogel Overlook spur. It's a lovely view.

My blog includes gpx file, tips, pictures and more detailed info.

Mike Frank

9 Completed4 Reviews

This is a great hike. Myself a buddy and his 3 girls (8-12) hiked this and did some geocaching in the area. The waterfalls are amazing. The terrain is pretty easy, a few creek crossings. We combined this with trails in the area for about an 8 mile day. Check out the lake view overlook at the summit it's worth the hike.