Bear Hair Gap Trail

#4 of 6 trails in Vogel State Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Bear Hair Gap Trail is a 3.5 mile loop trail located near Suches, Georgia and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Blairsville: Take US 19 and 129 south from Blairsville for 10 miles. Turn right into Vogel State Park.

Georgia Department of Industry, Trade and Tourism, P.O. Box 1776, 285 Peachtree Center Avenue NE , Atlanta, GA, 30301, Phone: 404-656-3590

Picture?width=50&height=50

36 Completed 16 Reviews

Easy trail with a couple of small stream crossings requiring rock jumping and limb balancing.

45 Completed 35 Reviews

My thirteen-year-old grandsons loved this hike. We did not have the pleasure of seeing a bear or bear hair, but came across some fresh scat that was interesting to those in the group who had never seen bear scat. We also found a ringneck snake, which the boys caught, examined and then released. This is a great family hike.

Icon_3e9038d106472fb2592d9e0a082f4382

9 Completed 4 Reviews

Was a nicer trail than I had anticipated. Nothing spectacular about it, it was just enjoyable. Did well to make me feel like I was really away from everything, out in the middle of nowhere. I did the trail clockwise, which left the majority of the elevation climb in a short horizontal distance. The other direction would have allowed for a continuous low slope, would have been much easier. Was perfect for my dog, she loved to stop at all the stream for a quick dip.

35 Completed 11 Reviews

Started at Vogel and you follow the creek up the mountain, did this in January and it had just rained so the waterfalls were awesome! When we got to the top we took the added mile to the top of blood mountain which I highly recommend for the spectacular views! Only note I would add is if you want to hike the loop counter clockwise go right at the 4way intersection. The signs are not clear and we went straight which was still fun but running out of daylight we had to retrace our steps and missed out on the doing the whole loop.

Icon_05cd81e12c0bd05b583fc23eaf20f5ed

60 Completed 48 Reviews

Arrived later than anticipated at Vogel State Park, and wanted to "do" Bear Hair Gap Trail and get to walk-in campsite before dark... So I didn't take as many pictures or make as many mental notes as I normally do. I rated it moderate because there are some inclines. The views were okay and there are some nice sections by a creek.

The trail is a loop, you can start from either direction. I went counter-clockwise. The trail was in pretty good condition, but there were sections that required you to watch your step (rocky, rooty). Was not particularly challenging, but there was a slight incline to get the heart pumping.

Definitely take the time to do the Vogel Overlook spur. It's a lovely view.

My blog includes gpx file, tips, pictures and more detailed info.

Icon_cd5d1abf19c25e95f9b9d95def3ce947

9 Completed 4 Reviews

This is a great hike. Myself a buddy and his 3 girls (8-12) hiked this and did some geocaching in the area. The waterfalls are amazing. The terrain is pretty easy, a few creek crossings. We combined this with trails in the area for about an 8 mile day. Check out the lake view overlook at the summit it's worth the hike.

29 Completed 2 Reviews

Hiked this trail on 12/11/2011

Picture?width=50&height=50

5 Completed 5 Reviews

This is a great afternoon hike with enough elevation change to call it a climb, but not enough to exclude inexperienced hikers. The majority of the trail advances through a thick forest canopy with little undergrowth, which means that while there's not a lot of vantage points to view, the short-distance scenery is still varied and breathtaking. At the top of the trail is one great vantage point, however, where you can look down on Vogel State Park's central attraction, Lake Trahlyta. If you're camping in the park, it's sort of an "I can see my house from here" moment.

Support