Blood Mountain Trail

#1 of 6 trails in Vogel State Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Blood Mountain Trail is a 7.2 mile loop trail located near Blairsville, Georgia that features a great forest setting. The trail is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen and primarily used for camping & hiking and is accessible Spring or Fall. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Neill Beurskens (510)

16 Completed14 Reviews

Great hike - in spring you'll definitely run into AT thru-hikers, which is nice if you want to ponder tackling a 2200 mile hike in the future.

Shelly White (189)

8 Completed7 Reviews

One of my all-time favorite hikes! Can't wait until the weather cooperates and we can get back to it. It is pretty challenging but I love scrambling over rocks, etc. Made a great day hike and very good views from the top. Very well marked...if you remember to look up, down, and all around for blazes. We missed one and wondered off the trail for a bit (followed by a thru-hiker unfortunate enough to have mistaken us as somebone who knew where they were going). Retracing our steps, and looking DOWN it was clearly marked on the rocks!

Allison Hatch (101)

5 Completed1 Reviews

My idea of a perfect hike with incredible views, only way it could get better if there was a waterfall. I've been here in the snow, rain, and on sunny days and I have never had a bad time.

Julia R. (50)

5 Completed1 Reviews

Difficult, but not so much to detract from the beauty of the vistas. Make sure you at least bring a day pack, as during February snacks and extra layers may become necessary. Wind-resistant clothing doesn't hurt either.

Michelle N Rob Andrews (162)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Great hike with spectacular views. The trail is wet in certain areas (watch your step!) The only concern that we had was the number of dogs not on leashes. My wife and I love to hike together with our dogs. We endeavor to control our dogs at all times with leashes. That does not seem to be true for all hikers. I believe some people feel that since they are up in the mountains, that the rules don't apply to them. It is very scary for the owner of a rescue dog to be around other dogs that are not under the owner's control! They are very unpredictable and loose dogs always seem to rush up to them. People...please keep your dogs on a leash at all times when not on your own property!!

Vita Mileriute (179)

11 Completed1 Reviews

We started our hike just after 9am on Sunday morning. We only met a few hikers during our hike, don't know why (possibly because of unattractive weather forecast) - but can't complain about that.
We were not prepared, didn't really study trails and didn't have trailmap, which was quite tricky as we wanted to do a loop instead of going back the same way from the summit. It took as a while and couple more miles to figure it out, so we made 9.5miles trip, which was a great workout. Will be back in fall, recommended!

Ron Kolenda (103)

2 Completed1 Reviews

completed as part of the AT, definitely as awesome as it gets. downhill will test your knees and joints.

Rick Howard (82)

7 Completed2 Reviews

Challenging and beautiful. First time on this trail, but I plan to come back. The views are stunning.

Emory Davis (839)

18 Completed10 Reviews

Oh yea. Loved this one. Up by way of switchback with a great reward. Quite a few snakes during the even mildly warmer days. Just another good reason to always have a hiking staff

Brian Wile (57)

3 Completed2 Reviews

Great trail, and the perfect distance from the city for a day hike. Our dogs love it, and there are plenty of flat rocks with great views.

Support