Blood Mountain Approach Trail

HARD
#1 of 7 trails in Vogel State Park
l>
Blood Mountain Approach Trail is a 11.1 mile loop trail located near Blairsville, GA that features a great forest setting and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and camping and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

dog friendly camping hiking trail running walking forest rocky views
Hide Map

Easy parking at the trail head.

Kirk Barnes

7 Completed1 Reviews

Very challenging but worth the view at the top!

Mountain Do

8 Completed2 Reviews

Beautiful trail and awesome views at the top.
Watch my trip to blood mountain here

Denis Diaz

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great trail. Not as hard as I had heard and my dog loves it. Went this weekend (mid January) and weather was unseasonably warm and super very sunny. Parts of the trail can get a bit slippery when wet and definitely very muddy.

Allen L

19 Completed6 Reviews

I did this on a weekday morning in early December. The hike up was difficult but not as bad as I've heard. I saw about a dozen people throughout the day. I stopped at blood mountain shelter for some nice views and some lunch.

As I came down the other side I was distracted and missed the turn on to the return freeman trail. Thankfully I noticed that blood mountain was behind me and doubled back. The freeman trail has some surprising twists and turns that made me question if I was going the right way. But the biggest surprise was just how rocky it was. I would highly recommend taking some hiking poles for the freeman trail.

I overestimated the time it would take to get to the top and underestimated the time it would take to do the freeman portion (due to the rocks)

Jane Buchanan

10 Completed7 Reviews

Wonderful hike starting in either the parking lot of Byron Reece or at Vogel State Park. Such a nice hike it is crowded on the weekends, very nice during the weeks. Views at the top are amazing and very popular during the fall months. Please stay on the trails, it is so used the switch backs need to be preserved. And most of all pack out your trash!

Emory Davis

20 Completed13 Reviews

Beautiful. Go in with sunrise

Katie Statham

6 Completed6 Reviews

Erin Conway

3 Completed1 Reviews

It is such a beautiful hike. The view at the top is worth every step.

John Brandon

16 Completed1 Reviews

Great hike. We did the 4.6 mile up and down. Strenuous at parts, but not for long. Good views at the top. Flat rock areas to sit, rest and chill. Good for dogs, too. No rest rooms in parking lot, but there is a general store half mile away with rest rooms.

Marsha Johnson Davis

16 Completed12 Reviews

Really loved this trail. Starting at Byron Reece Trail you hit the uphill climb very quickly. Don't give in, the climb leads to several beautiful outcrops and takes you to Picnic Rock a the Summit of Blood Mountain. The summit offers a beautiful view of the surrounding NG mountains. It can get crowded up top, but take your time and enjoy. Loop on around the back side on the return trip and enjoy the beautiful forest with a few splashes of wildflowers. I'm looking forward to hiking this trail again in the fall for the beautiful leaf colors.