Conasauga River Trail

#1 of 6 trails in chattahoochee national forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Conasauga River Trail is a 13.1 mile point-to-point trail located near Crandall, Georgia that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for camping, fishing, fly fishing & hiking.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Mike Thompson (1219)

29 Completed26 Reviews

Tony Piscia (137)

3 Completed3 Reviews

The drive up the mountain to the trail is unbelievable!! It is the best view I've seen in Georgia (so far.)
The trail itself is beautiful! The features and obstacles are something to not just surpass, but truly appreciate! I've done the jacks river trail too, and I appreciate the way the trail follows the river closely. We went after there had been a fair amount of rain, and the water was moving really good in some areas. Trekking poles are a must, especially over the slippery rocks.
The camp sites are sparse, but they are all nice locations.
The trail is not marked very well at all, which I think makes it a little more fun, but since there are a few divergent trails, it's a good idea take your time and river crossings. We had a map that was horrible.
Overall a great time. Expect to get wet, and be ready to climb around 2k ft to get out.

Craig Hensley (86)

10 Completed1 Reviews

This is a great trail and is in a pretty remote area for north Georgia. The river is beautiful, especially further north where it really widens out with some large boulders and rock outcroppings in and around the river. This trail would be a cakewalk difficulty-wise if it weren't for the river crossings, but I personally think that those just add to the fun. The only difficult climbs are at the southern and northern trailheads where you ascend from the river valley up to the parking area.

There are only a handful of things I would say to look out for on this trail. I would be hesitant to attempt the northern portions of the trail after heavy rains. As the river widens, there can be a lot of water flowing after a day or two of big rain. Also, the trail blazes can be a little confusing around the river crossings. I don't think there is much risk of getting lost. You will just be delayed for a minute or two as you try to find where the trail picks up again on the other side.

Josh Baughman (150)

9 Completed3 Reviews

Actually my profile picture is from this trip

Josh Baughman (150)

9 Completed3 Reviews

I went on this trail with a group and loved it. The river crossings are fun. I personally didn't use hiking poles and I don't think they are necessarily needed... I hike with reebok zigs... (trail running/crossfit shoes).

Tiffany Fuqua (178)

16 Completed4 Reviews

I took my first backpacking trip here and had a great time! Sleeping next to the water is wonderful!

Sarah Kootsillas (283)

8 Completed4 Reviews

This trail is the best trail I have hiked to date. You don't even feel like you are in the US...everything is so untouched and beautiful. There is absolutely no trash on the trail as the hikers make sure to carry all trash. Huge rocks, the clearest water I've ever seen with a challenging trail that will not disappoint. ...an absolute must.

Cliff Graham (133)

3 Completed2 Reviews

awasome hiking trail. Took chestnut lead trail in 2.8 miles to conasauge river trail.

Jeffrey Hoffmann (317)

35 Completed6 Reviews

one of the best trails i have hiked on in Georgia. what i would call a wet trail. more than 40 crossings in which getting your feet wet is unavoidable. the many waterfalls and river scenes make for good eye candy. exspect to get wet and have a blast. watch out for snakes and slippery rocks. saw a 5' timber rattler in Bray feild. gorgeous! take your best friend who has a habit of slipping and you will have a great time.

Steven Furr (544)

14 Completed8 Reviews

this is a great hike it has 42 river fords need to have boots are shoes that can stay wet the entire hike.hiking poles are a must!

Support