Laurel Ridge Trail

#1 of 2 trails in Tri-County Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Laurel Ridge Trail is a moderate 4 mile loop located at Buford Dam near Buford, Georgia. The trail is primarily used for Hiking and is accessible year-round. Laurel ridge has two sections: A 2 mile stretch on the river ends when you cross the road to start a 2 mile stretch on the lake side.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Andrew Welch (104)

7 Completed1 Reviews

I love this trail. I moved to Cumming from Cashiers, NC by way of Rabun County, GA. This trail is not even close to anything you could find up there but it does have a little bit of everything that I miss from the mountains and it is literally 3 minutes from our house. It has rolling hills, challenging climbs, excellent scenery and an abundance of wild life. I run 2 or 3 loops there every couple of weeks and am never disappointed. I have actually never run there and not seen deer. Good times...

Jane Buchanan (167)

8 Completed4 Reviews

1/2 in the wetlands, well bridged by the eagle scouts. 1/2 moderate up and down along the Chattahoochee. Dont miss the amazing view of the dam off the metal bridge, would love to view a water release. Markings sometimes vague in recreational use areas, keep looking for the white, and had a difficult time finding off season parking for the trail.
Non summer months use Lower Overlook Parking for access. Other areas are closed. Free parking too.

Kristen White (63)

1 Completed1 Reviews

LOVED IT!! Beautiful views, moderate hike. Even on a cool day in October, it'll warm you right up! :)

Jason Chaney (37)

Moderate / Kid friendly /

Tiffany F. (967)

Oh, man. I loved this trail. The 3.8 miles is by no means difficult. There are times where the ascents will have your heart rate climbing, but the majority of the hike is level and easy. The views are spectacular! We saw a huge turtle in the lake off of one of the observation decks. Twice the size of a dinner plate, easily. The trail was quiet as far as people are concerned. I only passed one other couple, an elderly couple who was turning around as it was a bit too difficult for them. I could hear traffic throughout the majority of the hike and that was, of course, a bit of a downside. However, I entirely understand it. This is a beautiful place to visit. Four stars because of the noise.

Dawn Ham-Kucharski (364)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Beautiful view beats my elliptical runner any day. So many natural wonders to enjoy.

Tricia Workman (41)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Beautiful, well marked trail...only negative is the no pet policy.

Scott Boone (335)

8 Completed6 Reviews

May have been just the right time, but had an awesome experience on this trail with my 16 year old daughter. The trail itself was moderate in difficulty, great condition, and we thought all the little bridges and walkways was a nice touch. The only real drawback was coming up on parking lots and crossing the street a couple times (but this is dam territory). The real glory we found on this specific journey was at least 6 deer scattered throughout the trail (one pair was a fawn and doe that stayed close for a few minutes) and even caught eye of a copperhead swimming in a stream as we watched from one of the bridges. Very little trail traffic, and the ones we did come across were cool people just out to exercise and take in nature.

Delaney Collins<3 (114)

4 Completed3 Reviews

I went on this with my and it is so much fun. It is not terribly difficult. It is really pretty and it has wood walks that was made by a boy scout troops. It is a good exercise. Not to much of it is uphill but watch out for roots and branches and rocks. Have fun if you go on it.

Eric Plant (247)

4 Completed3 Reviews

Decent trail considering high nearby population. Too many man-made structures throughout the trail for my taste. However, it's tough to beat its close proximity for residents of Forsyth and/or Gwinnett County. Choose the Indian Seats Trail at Sawnee Mountain instead.

Support