Olde Rope Mill Park

Woodstock, GA

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

The trails here are the Explorer Trail (about 3.5 miles total) and the Avalanche Trail (6.25 miles total), but each trail is made up of three loops that are "stacked" so you can choose your mileage. There are paved and off-road trails suitable for walkers, runners, hikers and bikers.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Tiffani Hollis (103)

1 Completed1 Reviews

directions are very wrong. entrance is off Ridgewalk Pkwy by the new outlet shoppes.

Christina Regensburger (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

The Avalanche and Explorer Trails are part of the Taylor Randahl Memorial Bike Trails at Olde Rope Mill Park. This is important information. Hikers must travel in the opposite direction of the cyclists; with good reason. The directions alternate with days of the week. There are signs at each trail head, telling you which way to go. THESE ARE FOR THE BIKES. I got it wrong on the first trail and other hikers/cyclists showed enough disgust to prevent me from repeating that error. On the Avalanche Trail, my hiking group was going in the right direction and clearing the path for bikes quickly. One cyclist was audibly disgusted with our existence. The trails are wonderful. We saw one little snake and walked around it. I would love to hike these trails again but probably won't (unless it's a bike-free day).

Andrew Platt (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Those are not the right directions or need to be updated. We followed them line by line and it ended up dead ending into a sub division. Pretty frustrating when your new to the area.

Tiffany Barr (257)

18 Completed6 Reviews

I took the Avalanche trail and loved it. I'll be back.

Brittani Carlisle (78)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Went out to the park this morning with my yellow Labrador. We both loved it! Beautiful trails. Listening to the river flowing while you hike is a nice touch too. My dog loved jumping into the river and swimming around some too. Only recommendation is to keep eyes peeled for sure; my lab found a very large snake laying across one of the trails.
Definitely recommend this park for a morning hike.

Jeremy Allen (352)

10 Completed10 Reviews

I ran this as part of a 5k Trail Run and it was my first time here. The elevation change on some of the trails can be really brutal while running. It's not that it's that high or low, it's just that it keeps changing so frequently. Up 10ft, down 10 ft, then back up and back down.

For my 5k race they did use some of the MTB trails and changed trails frequently. I'm not sure if they're normally open to runners/hikers but I did really enjoy the scenery they offered. The trail was very challenging and I enjoyed it. I also enjoyed the small wetlands area they had as well. There is also a river/creek running through the area which completes everything.

I can't speak about MTB but as far as for running and hiking, it really is gorgeous as long as half the trails my 5k was on are available for runners/hikers.

One thing is if it's popular the parking can be a bit tedious as the overflow lot is about a quarter mile away from the main parking lot. God help you if the overflow parking lot is full....

Andy McCanless (80)

8 Completed1 Reviews

Fantastic flat riverside run! Cross the pedestrian bridge and head left (facing upstream) to get going. It stays nice & cool in the day due to proximity to the Little River and abundant shade. Mixed terrain (hard pack, roots, rocks, mud, sand, and some small stream crossings [none more than 1 or 2 inches deep]) as well as some pretty neat geological/historical features make this an interesting daily run/walk trail for locals.

***For extra distance, follow the trail back behind the park and out onto a utility/water/sewage that continues to follow the river on up until you come to the bridge that carries HWY 5 over Little River just past JJ Biello ball park then turn back.

***none of the side trails go anywhere cool, just more or less routes to the nearby neighborhoods.***

***It's not as nice as the single track from the initial part of the trail as you'll notice tire tracks which indicate a shared use with ORV's and the occasional shattered remnants of clay skeet discs along with several discharged shotgun shells. You can also hear the heavy equipment operating just over the river at the adjoining property which is where Waste Management has a fleet of garbage trucks.

Marco Alfaro (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great trail, there is a short cross over some rocks which makes it interesting , after all a lots of up and downs and great distance .

Kathleen Scarpace Kirstein (67)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Where are the trailhead markers?

Kristin Vanderpool (200)

5 Completed2 Reviews

Completed the Avalanche Trail today. Very beautiful area. Lots of up and downs and turns. Fun trail to ride on.

Support