Panther Creek Trail

#1 of 145 trails in Cohutta Wildlife Management Area

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Panther Creek Trail is a 7.2 mile trail located near Clarkesville, Georgia that features a waterfall and is accessible year-round. This trail is awesome since it has great diversity in terrain, and is really pretty in the Fall when the leaves turn.

Panther Creek Trail are along US 441, 14 miles North of Cornelia. Turn left, following the sign, onto Glen Hardman Road. Immediately take a right onto Old 441; signs for the trailhead are in 1 mile. There is a $3 parking fee to park

10 Completed 4 Reviews

i love this trail. It was good, fairly long, well mapped and the falls at the end was beautiful and refreshing. we spent a good one hour just relaxing on the rocks in the river. We could hear the cars speeding in the highway as we started and ended the trail. But once you get going, it was all green and calm and beautiful.

But this is a popular place i believe. it really started to get crowded with the day. The best time to hike would be early in the morning to beat the crowd and return before noon when you start seeing more people.

3 Completed 3 Reviews

I've been 10x's or more at different times of the year and different time of the day. Never disappoints.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Strenous hike with the kids! Waterfall is worth the stomping.Will be doing it again.

16 Completed 1 Reviews

The waterfall is so worth it. I can't wait to go back and hopefully camp!

8 Completed 8 Reviews

Did this trail today and I was very disappointed. After reading reviews and so many people saying to take the trail nearest the creek...dumb idea. Took my 95# Weimaraner with me and it was entirely too dangerous for him. The trail was eroded beyond recognition and thought we were going to fall to our death when he kept slipping on the barely 12" wide path. We had to turn back when we came to a point where we would have had to have climbing equipment to get my dog up. Turned back and went on the other trail. Got to he falls. Unimpressive. We kept going thinking there was something better. Two more miles and nothing. Was pissed. Won't go back. Ever.

12 Completed 12 Reviews

Awesome hike! I took 3 friends with me and camped over the weekend at the bottom of the waterfall. Lots of foot traffic so we camped on the back of the little rocky island at the bottom of the waterfall. I later found out that there is a string of quieter campsites further past the bottom of the waterfall. Also firewood is limited at the fall. Overall, great backcountry camping, awesome waterfall, and great hiking trail.

17 Completed 8 Reviews

Great go to scenic hike. Right at 7 miles out and back. Be careful and hiking staff is helpful at the falls. Easy hike but could be treacherous for some

11 Completed 12 Reviews

Beautiful scenery for the whole hike. The trail is better kept and not as difficult on the Habersham County side as opposed to the Stephens County. It is a great hike and certainly a good workout.

2 Completed 1 Reviews

Great hike to a beautiful view at the falls. 7 miles round trip and not too difficult except when you get close to the falls, there are some maneuvering across some slippery rocks on the side of a hill. They have railings to help, so just take your time and you'll be okay.

Picture?width=50&height=50

6 Completed 6 Reviews

Definitely one of my favorite trails in the South. Gets busy during the summertime though so plan accordingly. And keep an eye out for snakes on the trail. They are everywhere.

Support