Panther Creek Trail

#1 of 144 trails in Cohutta Wildlife Management Area

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Panther Creek Trail is a 7.2 mile trail located near Clarkesville, Georgia that features a waterfall and is accessible year-round. This trail is awesome since it has great diversity in terrain, and is really pretty in the Fall when the leaves turn.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Bil Kennedy (101)

29 Completed2 Reviews

Best trail I've been on in GA yet. Don't kid yourself, it's only 7.2 miles round trip, but it requires some exertion. I wouldn't recommend the entire trail to the falls for young children unless they are accustomed to such (which btw have a great swimming area - cold - at the bottom of the falls) . Our dogs did well, but were exhausted at the end of the hike. Our medium-sized dog (Brittany Spaniel) struggled and had to be helped up certain rocky sections (also when off leash went down a steep embankment to swim, and couldn't get back up - I had to rescue him).The Dane was able to conquer all with relative ease, but required frequent breaks on the return trip despite the rest stop at the falls. This trail follows the creek almost the entire way to the falls, and offers very diverse terrain. I can't wait to go back when the leaves are turning.

Ajay Raghav Gurubabu (105)

11 Completed5 Reviews

i love this trail. It was good, fairly long, well mapped and the falls at the end was beautiful and refreshing. we spent a good one hour just relaxing on the rocks in the river. We could hear the cars speeding in the highway as we started and ended the trail. But once you get going, it was all green and calm and beautiful. But this is a popular place i believe. it really started to get crowded with the day. The best time to hike would be early in the morning to beat the crowd and return before noon when you start seeing more people.

Matt Lovell (200)

7 Completed4 Reviews

I've been 10x's or more at different times of the year and different time of the day. Never disappoints.

BJ Beggs (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Strenous hike with the kids! Waterfall is worth the stomping.Will be doing it again.

Heather McKoy (226)

16 Completed1 Reviews

The waterfall is so worth it. I can't wait to go back and hopefully camp!

Brandi Elliott (221)

8 Completed8 Reviews

Did this trail today and I was very disappointed. After reading reviews and so many people saying to take the trail nearest the creek...dumb idea. Took my 95# Weimaraner with me and it was entirely too dangerous for him. The trail was eroded beyond recognition and thought we were going to fall to our death when he kept slipping on the barely 12" wide path. We had to turn back when we came to a point where we would have had to have climbing equipment to get my dog up. Turned back and went on the other trail. Got to he falls. Unimpressive. We kept going thinking there was something better. Two more miles and nothing. Was pissed. Won't go back. Ever.

tj cline (508)

12 Completed12 Reviews

Awesome hike! I took 3 friends with me and camped over the weekend at the bottom of the waterfall. Lots of foot traffic so we camped on the back of the little rocky island at the bottom of the waterfall. I later found out that there is a string of quieter campsites further past the bottom of the waterfall. Also firewood is limited at the fall. Overall, great backcountry camping, awesome waterfall, and great hiking trail.

Emory Davis (805)

17 Completed8 Reviews

Great go to scenic hike. Right at 7 miles out and back. Be careful and hiking staff is helpful at the falls. Easy hike but could be treacherous for some

Wendy Stephens (700)

11 Completed12 Reviews

Beautiful scenery for the whole hike. The trail is better kept and not as difficult on the Habersham County side as opposed to the Stephens County. It is a great hike and certainly a good workout.

David Brown (38)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Great hike to a beautiful view at the falls. 7 miles round trip and not too difficult except when you get close to the falls, there are some maneuvering across some slippery rocks on the side of a hill. They have railings to help, so just take your time and you'll be okay.

Support