Panther Creek Trail

#1 of 143 trails in Cohutta Wildlife Management Area

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Panther Creek Trail is a 7.2 mile trail located near Clarkesville, Georgia that features a waterfall and is accessible year-round. This trail is awesome since it has great diversity in terrain, and is really pretty in the Fall when the leaves turn.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Shane Adams (143)

3 Completed3 Reviews

Be sure to take the high trail after about 3/4 of a mile. The low trail is dangerous and has some rough terrain.

Melissa G (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great trail! Reminder: the trail head is across the street from the parking area. Sadly, it took us awhile to figure that out.

Mindy Stombler (81)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Lovely hike! Gorgeous waterfall at the end with a sandy bottom in the swimming hole (added a photo). I enjoyed hiking along the creek--many opportunities to enter the water. However the trail was poorly maintained--especially right toward the end with loose handrails and a relatively treacherous descent to the base of the falls (for a beginner). What was most disconcerting was that the sign at the trailhead measured this trail as 3.5 miles each way. Yet our GPS watches measured the distance at 4.5 miles--for a total of 9. For someone who is in shape, it may not be a big deal, but I hadn't hiked in months and was expecting 6 miles (based on descriptions), saw 7 miles on the sign when I arrived, and measured 9 miles by GPS watch. Any idea why there was such a discrepancy? I have no idea. Unlike most trails, people we passed seemed to remark that they were tired/surprised how far away the falls were. Could it be re-routing over time changed the mileage? Again, overall a pretty hike with a great waterfall at the end, wish it had been better maintained/safer and also measured accurately!

Bill Spellman (40)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Great trail to practice your first backpacking trail before going somewhere much more remote. Plenty of people around. Good swimming hole.

Louis P. (43)

A beautiful trail; however, it is not very well maintained and can be dangerous at times because of loose handrails. This is most notable at the final downward approach to the level area at the bottom of the falls from the cascades. As mentioned previously, one must be very careful when hiking this trail. There is an east end of the trail, approximately 2.4 mi, which is mentioned in some books, etc. This is extremely hard to find, not well marked (found one blaze at the trail head, but faded so much you have to be almost next to it) and IMHO is more treacherous during the first mile, than the west end of the trail. It is beautiful and follows the creek for most of the way. I give it 5 stars for beauty, and three for maintenance. Average= 4 stars

Ansley Maddox (119)

2 Completed1 Reviews

A difficult but very rewarding hike! The falls are absolutely beautiful, but the trail to it is not very well maintained and maybe even dangerous if one is not prepared. The trail head is a little hard to find, as maps tells you its in the wrong spot. I do not recommend this trail for families with small children or dogs (even though they are allowed on the trail) because in many places the trail is VERY narrow, at some places it is maybe 8 inches wide with a 60 foot drop with no rails, and the few rails that are in place aren't very stable. I went there for a picnic and it took me about 3 hours each way, and I am only a beginner. If you are planing on doing this hike do it when it hasn't rained recently,as the rocks are already slippery enough, don't go alone, bring $4 for parking, and be sure to bring plenty of water, food, and tp because there is nothing when you start the trail.

Jason Callaway (198)

4 Completed1 Reviews

My girlfriend and I for many months have been trying to do some serious hiking and finally made our way to Panther Creek. We read the information that all trail gives for how long and how treacherous. We found that the 7.2 miles is a one way trip. Started out at 3:30, got to the waterfalls at 6:15. We knew we had to make it back to the car, got there at 8:20 just before dark. 14 miles and 5 hours, with not enough water. Totally unprepared won't let that happen again. love and best wishes to all who venture on this trail its 14 miles round trip. Keep hiking

James Strain (81)

3 Completed1 Reviews

I have done this trail two or three times now. This is an awesome place. Although there are a bunch of people there in the summer time and they leave so much trash behind and really mess up the awesome beach area. But the falls are awesome and so is the hike. And it fun to take a refreshing dip into the natural pool. I've have yet to go all the way to the dam yet, but next time my fiancee and I go we are doing the whole thing.

Andy Bishop (149)

4 Completed4 Reviews

I'm pretty new to backpacking, and did a solo overnighter here as one of my first backpacking trips. As a newbie, it is pretty strenuous and has some cool features that make you feel "adventurous," but the ups and downs aren't too extreme. There are a couple really steep climbs, but they're short and footing is more of an issue than exertion. If you aren't very confident in your balance or with heights, you should probably bring someone along because it would be tough to get out of some places on this trail if you got injured. I will say don't let the 3.5 mile distance fool you. The out-and-back with a lunch break would be a pretty full day-hike. If you can do the whole trip in the three hours mentioned on this page, you're in pretty good shape and not stopping for breaks. The scenery is awesome and the pictures don't do the falls justice. There are plenty of campsites, but be prepared to camp with some neighbors. Bring a fishing rod too, because it's a stocked trout stream! And please pack out your trash. Someone left half their gear and a ton of food containers at the base of the falls before I got there.

Marla Watt (202)

2 Completed1 Reviews

This may be a favorite hike now- it's up there with Cloudland Canyon. near the end it's VERY steep and it had rained the day before so it was also muddy and slippery. Next to the waterfall / swimming hole there's plenty of room to camp and picnic. I loved that there are also plenty of places along the trail to stop creekside and sit on a rock or wade in the water. Overall, beautiful, challenging, fun and rewarding hike.

Support