CLOSED: Haiku Stairs (Stairway To Heaven)

Honolulu, HI

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

A powerful storm passed over the island of Oahu on 2/14/2015 which caused significant damage to the stairway, rendering them unusable. After the storm damage, five hikers got stuck on the east side of the mountain's ridge and were trapped overnight and had to be rescued.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Jeremy White (65)

1 Completed0 Reviews

I wish people would stop hiking illegal trails like this. Inevitably, people get lost on the hike and have to be rescued, costing us taxpayers thousands of dollars each time. Hike on trails that are legal to hike and stay off trails like this that aren't!!!

mark sutherland (136)

1 Completed11 Reviews

To all those intending to hike the stairs from moanalua valley, please read the posts on Yelp. Make sure the weather conditions are going to be good. There is a person missing there at present. You can get down the stairs from the top no problem, just watch your footing around the damaged sections towards the bottom.Take care and enjoy

Felix B (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Hey two of my friends and I are planning on doing the Haiku Stairs sometimes next week. We are on a Hawaii vacation for two weeks. Is anyone from the Waikiki area interested in renting a car together and going up there?

Cristian Pacheco (96)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Me and a couple of friends are doing this hike the back way if anyone is interested in joining us we will be going up there on the 7 of march or 8 depends on the weather my email is: cristian_bryan9090@hotmail.com

Amy Truckey (46)

1 Completed2 Reviews

Terri did he hike it on Friday? That's when we hiked. We went up Moanalua Ridge and down the haiku stairs. We did not see him. We were at the top of the stairs at 11am. I thought I heard someone on the right of our trail on the way up but it was towards the beginning and was down further. I thought it was other hikers on a different trail but wasn't even positive I heard someone. I'm not sure I'm much help but you can email me if you'd like aestatz35@gmail.com. I heard he had a picture of a man hiking on the stairs you should send me the picture to see if its someone we saw...or maybe it was my husband. It might help place him in an area better. Hope you find him.

Hannah Spector (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Alexandria Im going to be on the island from march 12-20th. Im going to try getting in touch with you through facebook! its easier for me than this

Jocelyn Jackson (46)

1 Completed2 Reviews

Erica Brannon and anyone else interested in hiking up between 3/24 and 3/39, email me :) jocelynj0819@gmail.com. Me and a friend are coming in from Washington State and would love to give it a shot, with a group!

Terri Alani (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

My cousin Daylenn Pua hiked Haiku Trail on Feb. 27 2015! He has pics on via text showing he been on the trail! He hasn't been found yet! There is search & rescue out but the weather hasn't been good making them hard to see from the fog! Please help us find him!!! You can know more on Hawaii News Now!!! If you been on the trail on that day please contact the police! Thank you!!!! & if you want to go on this hike please change your mind helicopters been saving a lot of people these past few days that hiked Haiku Stairs!!!

M Stahle (76)

1 Completed1 Reviews

I am going to hike moanalua ridge trail March 1st or 2nd and going down the stairs. I have one car to park at the beginning or end. Anyone interested in parking another car on the opposite side to save a 50$ cab ride? Shoot me an email at smartalarms12@gmail.com

Nick Pearson (46)

1 Completed2 Reviews

My wife and I are hiking moanalua ridge trail tomorrow, the 1st, and going down the stairs. We have one car to park at the beginning or end. Anyone interested in parking another car on the opposite side to save a 50$ cab ride? Shoot me an email nickpearson1990@gmail.com.

Support