CLOSED: Haiku Stairs (Stairway To Heaven)

Honolulu, HI

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

A powerful storm passed over the island of Oahu on 2/14/2015 which caused significant damage to the stairway, rendering them unusable. After the storm damage, five hikers got stuck on the east side of the mountain's ridge and were trapped overnight and had to be rescued.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Stephanie Toribio (101)

1 Completed1 Reviews

You may hike and take a risk, since the trail has been closed, but remember there are locals that live near the area and people watching, but if your caught officials will make you pay the $2500 fine.

Eric Gardins (174)

9 Completed10 Reviews

how do you add a pic on here, i dont see that option??

pamela jones-seery (46)

1 Completed2 Reviews

To Eric Gardins, can you post a picture of your $2500 fine?

Jen Eaton (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Hi everyone, I am looking to see If anyone will be hiking this between July 31st-Aug 11th- I am flying in tomorrow at 855pm and someone wanted to go at 1am tomorrow night, ahhh! Do we really have to sneak in at night time? I would love to join a group that knows what they are doing. I am traveling to Oahu from NH...please email me jend574@gmal.com

Eric Gardins (174)

9 Completed10 Reviews

if you want to hike this trail, ******READ READ READ THIS FIRST!!!!******** My friends and I decided to take the middle ridge trail that leads up to the view of the stairs this week! Near the summit the trail was EXTREMELY muddy and the wind must have been at least 35 miles per hour. we took a few pics on the top and then when it got bad decided we needed to get down. the weather turned all the steep hikes sided on the Moana Loa Middle Ridge Trail side, from steep dirt, into a mud slide that was going to be a very dangerous hike down, The choices were go and risk slipping and falling off a cliff on the Moana Loa Ridge Trail , or attempting the Haik Stairs. Because they were a man made item which SEEMED structurally sound at the time, we took the stairs, after extremely bad wind and barely making it across missing stairs, rusted out stairs, missing hand rails, and missing entire stair sections, we made it near the floor and MET THE GUARD***** he came after us and we barely made itinto the tree line after jumping offa section of the stairs and sliding to the base and weaving through loose dirt and bolders. we barely made it past him. So now we thought we were safe, but no, no we werent because you are trapped in a fence of the property that is the governments. after running from government vehicles coming up and down the road looking for us, andscreaming at us through the trees, we found a hole in a fence, found a road access in a neighborhood and no sooner did we touch the road, the locals had called the cops and we were being lined up and processed for our $2500.00 fine. you can call me a liar but i am telling you, we fcked up and all ten of us paid for it.........DONT be like us, just leave the trail alone, they are ramping up security and fines and are waiting! believe me the locals in the area are no fan of us either and they are watching diligently!

Cody Murphy (268)

3 Completed3 Reviews

cmurphy42o@gmail.com if anyone wants to do the back side and down the stairs today!!! wed 29th

Catherine Ifurung (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Hello all, my sister (28), brother (21) and I (31) are planning to complete this hike from the Moanalua Middle Ridge trail on Tuesday August 4th. I was thinking very early morning (3-4am start time). Please email me at cifurung@gmail.com if you are interested in joining! Thanks, Catherine

Thanh My Doan (58)

1 Completed3 Reviews

Going tonight at 2:00am ^_^

Thanh My Doan (58)

1 Completed3 Reviews

Hello everyone! Sorry to some that I contacted about going last night but were unable to make it due to a delay.

I just got back from Haiku Village where the Haiku Stairway entrance number 2 is located. I've done some research and investigation where to park and reach the entrance without trespassing neighbor private property.

I'll make sure to make it tonight and will definitely provide updates, where to park and entrance to take so you all who is reading this can have a wonderful smooth hike on this once in a lifetime hike. I'll be leaving Thursday morning so this is one hike I cant miss. I'll post picture for the route everyone should take. Again sorry for the delay!!!

Tommy

April Rivera (122)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Is this trail really closed? I'll be arriving in HNL Aug 2-10 and i want to do this hike!

Support