Haiku Stairs (Stairway To Heaven)

Honolulu, HI
Share review on:

Thanks! How would you describe the trail and its activities?

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Haiku Stairs is a 2 mile out and back trail located near Heeia, Hawaii. The trail is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen and primarily used for hiking.

It's the most controversial hike on the island! The Haiku Stairs is one of the most sought after hikes on the island, but due to worried and frustrated landowners any hiker wanting to go up the stairway will need to bypass private property and a security guard.

The trailhead is guarded, and inaccessible during daylight hours! The only way to access the trail via the trailhead without being turned away by the neighborhood guard (as opposed to approaching it from another trail on the ridge) is to arrive no later than 3am!

8 Completed 5 Reviews

I had so much fun going up the stairs!! The view from top was amazing.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Ive been up Stairway to Heaven Several times, there are 2 ways to go up, the first is to take the stairs most people use up above Kaneohe, the Second is you can hike a set of trails that go up the opposite side of the mountain your climbing. The Hike up the other side is treacherous and is not something I would reccomend to anyone but the most experienced climbers. The Stairway is also closed to the public and they have a security guard during the day, so most people start early around 5am or so and hike up and come down before the guard arrives around 7am. What we do is we hike up the stairs in the morning and then hike down the other side along the ridgeline down towards the 63 highway, their is a trail that goes through if you know where to look for it, its hard to find though. Fun hike, beautiful views, STAY ON THE STAIRS!!!!! only suicidal locals and people intimately familiar with the area use anything but the stairs, I do not recommend it.

Also, If you want to get to the trail head, its better to take the bus to Windward Community College, and walk up the hill a little bit further and cut behind the hospital, you have to go slightly into the jungle but the trek is easy enough and you avoid pissing off locals by cutting through their yards.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Doesn't anyone read signs? The freaken stairs are closed. People who have been going are trespassing on Hawaiian Home Lands Property to get there and disturbing the people who live there. People come at all hours of the morning and make noise and wake everyone up. Also take your trash with you when you leave, not leave the trash in peoples yards. READ THE DAMN SIGNS.........

Icon_

6 Completed 2 Reviews

attempted to do this hike today !! it was freaking scary .. the stairs are so old plus it was raining and windy .. all bad !! :/ but I bet the view from the top is amazing

38 Completed 3 Reviews

I did this hike starting about 2:00 pm. After being turned away by the security guard, I strck off into the jungle to circumvent his position. It took about an hour to force my way through the jungle and then rock climb back up to the stairs. It was worth it as the stairs are spectacular. On my way down, I did have to coach a couple of young girls who were up about 1/4 of the way but were panicking about getting back down. The stairs are steep and scary in a few spots.

10 Completed 1 Reviews

This hike is amazing, but the trail is officially closed to the public. However, if you know someone or do your research, it's a very rewarding experience. You can choose to hike the trail in the morning, getting up at 2am and parking by 3am. If you know someone, you can be dropped off at the gate so your car isn't towed or vandalized. Don't park in front of a driveway or mailbox and be very quiet walking to the gate. The guard makes it to his post at 4 am sharp so you have to be past the trailhead before then. Be prepared for the cold up top and for wet weather as it can move in very quickly.

14 Completed 12 Reviews

Loved it, it was a dream come true. Pack warm. I brought extra pants and was glad I did because by the time I got to the top my pants were wet. It is so cold at the top. At first you aren't cold but about a half an hour later it sets in and you just feel colder and colder as time goes on.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

My girlfriend and I completed this hike this morning and we arrived at around 0345 this morning. This climb did. It disappoint, the climb was challenging and the views were amazing. I read and scouted the climb a day before hand which made it much easier if you are going to attempt this hike in the early morning hours. We did not listen to the "wear gloves" warning but after completing the climb I would highly highly recommend them die to wet railing. The climb is amazing and I recommend it to anyone brave enough to attempt.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

This hike is really wonderful. We did it yesterday, trying our luck at 4:00 o'clock in the afternoon (the guard can't be there all day, right?! :)) The guard wasn't there and we started the great but long climb. Magnificent views by sunset. I recommend to do this in the afternoon (so you don't have to wait in the stinky and wet bunker for the sun to rise). It was wonderful! We saw maybe 30 people who we're coming up and down so we we were definitely not alone trying. This stays a hike with some risks so please be careful and don't be loud so the people in the neighborhood don't call the police... Enjoy and take plenty of pictures!

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Less a review as everyone who wants to do this knows what's up...more of a security update for those who asked. We completed this hike just this morning. And while I have done it before it has been years. So security seemed tighter than the last tim as I recall it I wouldn't exactly call it tight.

We arrived at Haiku village at about 0330. We parked on the far side of makena from the first fenceas there are plenty of places away from driveways. Don't annoy the locals and they won't have reason to care of you wanna go up. Some your high beams at my bedroom andtake my street parking andfI'd give you a hard time too. We made our way to the back of the neighborhood. Gate is now solidly locked and no slipping through anymore. You have to go around through the barbed wire. Luckily someone has already cut you a hole. I'm a big guy and I got through. Follow the hard road back to the woods cut through. Go through the woods (it's a well worn path if you've never been). Eventually you'll reach a fence that I don't remember being there. But someone cut a hole in that too. You'll come out right by the gaurd station. And your path to the stairs. If you're there before 0400 go on up and around the last gate and onto the stairs and have a good time. But he does come at for solid. We saw him on the way ou sitting in the truck we saw pull up from ten flights of stairs above promptly at 0400. And at the first platform we ran into many other hikers... some who said we were really pushing it by getting there when we did and they had started at 0200 or such. I don't think anyone else came up after us as we went all the way up but never encountered anyone going up on our way down even though we were at the top and headed down again in a respectable 90 min. So the hard must be keeping people out. One he gets there. We walked right by him on the way out and the him the shocka and all we got was a wave back.

So the short of it is it seems tighter than it used to be but if you're willing to get there by 0300 or so you'll have the same great climb as always. Hope it answers some people's questions.

Support