CLOSED - Haiku Stairs (Stairway To Heaven)

Honolulu, HI

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

It's the most controversial hike on the island! The Haiku Stairs is one of the most sought after hikes on the island, but due to worried and frustrated landowners any hiker wanting to go up the stairway will need to bypass private property and a security guard.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Chelle Bunderla (96)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Hi ben and Lachlan, im keen to do this trail too. I'm not leaving without having a crack. How do I contact you?

Alfred Kingsley (76)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Anyone been there recently with any security updates?

mark sutherland (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

I am visiting Oahu 10/23 Feb.looking to hike the stairs on Sunday 15th Feb. If anyone is up to it let me know

Lachlan Bruce (76)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Hi Ben Ja - I'm also keen to do the hike on Monday. The more people the better I think.

Ben Ja (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

I would very much like to try this hike on Monday if anyone is around. Possible $600 fine? Sounds ludicrous but that view looks worth it

John Schaefer (93)

3 Completed1 Reviews

Anybody trying to do the hike Thursday morning? I've been dying to hike the stairs and sadly fly out of Hawaii Friday.

Yoan Iliadis (86)

1 Completed2 Reviews

OK guys, this is important:

Today we went to do the hike. Left Waikiki 06:30 but missed the transfer on the bus so we got, sadly, delayed for an hour. (We didn't have any other transportation, so thats why we had to wait for the bus in the morning).
We arrived at the gate of the prohibited area at 09:00 am. The gate was open, so we got exited! After hiking through the area towards the beginning of the stairs, everything went well; no guard or what so ever.
We crawled through the fence, near the beginning of the stairs and continued the last 500ft over the road.
All of a sudden my girlfriend said she saw a black car with blue police lights at the end of the road.
We looked at each other and said; maybe its the car of the guard. So we proceeded our way. While closing in we saw 3 police cars and 3 police officers. We decided to go ahead and act like we're stupid.
When we're 6ft away we saw 3 hikers sitting on the ground with handcuffs on. The showed total disbelief.
On that point we realized the cops waited for them at the bottom of the trail to arrest them. I said to the officers; "Oh we heard that the trail is open to visitors again, but this doesn't look like it.."
2 officers reacted with: "Nobody ever said that its open again" and "U are already trespassing a prohibited area!" Without a doubt we apologized and turned around, hoping they wouldn't say anything.
500ft further we doubted to crawl back through the fence or walk down the way where the police came from. We decided to do the first thing, and as we did 30 seconds later 2 other police cars drove past us.
As we didn't want to risk our 7 month world trip with a big fine we headed to the entrance really quick.

When we got back in the neighborhood, one of the residents drove up to us and stated that he saw us walking up 30minutes prior, and asked if the guard denied us. We explained that we saw the cops arresting the hikers. He reacted really surprised and mentioned that this was the first time that he heard police actually arrested someone. Normally they give a warning and nothing else. He also said that he thinks the police will be looking at the lower part of the trail, so they'll now when you're heading down.

So guys, I wouldn't risk it going up there. I've no clue if the guys were actually taken to the station or just got a fine. I think the trouble isn't worth it. We're really disappointed but we knew the possibility of not getting up the trail. If you really want to make it to the top, you can acces it via another trail but that one is at least 6-7 hrs, the Moanalua Saddle.

Hopefully this review helps u out deciding what to do. I hope that they come up with a solution to open the trail again. They repaired the stairs about 8 years ago, so its completely safe.. I will definitely come back once! Afterwards we might be lucky that we missed the transfer of the bus and would come down while the police was waiting for us instead!
Maybe the 3 hikers will read this and want to comment? Im curious what the verdict was!

Safe hikes!

Yoan Iliadis (86)

1 Completed2 Reviews

@Xia Vue, We're going to do the trail tomorrow around 8:30. Hopefully the guard will let u through, otherwise we'll try to find a way around him.. I'll keep u posted!

Xia Vue (519)

9 Completed1 Reviews

If someone knows the right way to bypass to the guard to the trail, can you please let me know? Or if you have done it before, 3 of my friends and I would love to join. I did once, in 2000, and been wanting to just experience one more time.

Kayla Berger (66)

6 Completed2 Reviews

Decided to hike the stairway this Christmas morning and sooo glad we did. The weather was gorgeous and the views were amazing. Surprisingly, we all found the hike to be fairly easy, much easier than Koko head. When we first arrived we were stopped by the guard who told us he would call the cops when he say us coming down- he then warned us about the possible $600.00 fine or 6
Months jail time. But, we decided to proceed when he informed us that approx 20 ppl were already us the stairs (this was around 5am). So, when we finally finished the hike and came down the stairs we were WELCOMED by the new guard on duty who asked us how we enjoyed the hike and just said Merry Christmas! We were so glad we didn't let the guard deter us from such an amazing experience!

Support