CLOSED - Haiku Stairs (Stairway To Heaven)

Honolulu, HI

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

It's the most controversial hike on the island! The Haiku Stairs is one of the most sought after hikes on the island, but due to worried and frustrated landowners any hiker wanting to go up the stairway will need to bypass private property and a security guard.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Kathereen Arrogante (76)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Whoever wants to go next week, kindly message me. I am really interested. Thank you!

Eileen Moretti (96)

1 Completed1 Reviews

honestly, if these stairs are closed and dangerous, WHY DONT YOU JUST TAKE THEM DOWN!!!???? if the stairs are there and available, i would climb on them too. just saying.

Simon Lapointe (128)

2 Completed2 Reviews

This hike was awesome. Really, if you're visiting Oahu and are in a good shape, do it! It's not really dangerous, as long as you keep in mind that there is a danger :) Just hold on to the ramps!

As for the guard, either we were really lucky, or people are afraid for nothing. We went in the day, around 10AM, on a Sunday. At first when the guard saw us we just went back for a few steps saying "ah crap". But then we went back to talk to him, and asked if we could go up the stairs. He told us he was not there to stop us, that it was at our own risks and perils, that when coming down, cops could be at the bottom of the stairs, or at the gate. If you get caught, each party member gets a fine of 600$.

We took the risk and it was well worth it! A great adventure and something I will remember for a long time :)

Steve Caruso (223)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Everyone says to go in the middle of the night to get around the guard. My buddy and I did it a few weeks ago and we left around 9:00 AM. Just beat bush up the side of the mountain around the guard the link up with the stairs a little higher. We made it up in 2 hours, worth every step!!!

Victor Trevisanut (247)

6 Completed1 Reviews

Amazing hike. Like the comments say there is a guard on duty, and they are there 24 hours a day (2 guards, a 12-hour shift each). They won't let you up no matter what, we even offered a $150 bribe. However, if you are okay with some serious bush whacking in very thick jungle, you can sneak your way around him if it's early morning, with some effort. The hike itself is beyond intense, definitely the sketchiest hike I've ever done. Do not attempt unless you know what you're doing and are an experienced hiker in good shape. You will most likely experience strong winds up top, rain, fog and fatigue, so come prepared and be careful!!!

Alex Stanley (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Completed an entire trail all the way to the abandoned radar station in about 2 hours on Halloween. Recommend to get to the gate at 3am and use the access point above school though the jungle. Guard is on duty 24/7 but if you do not use flashlights and stay extremely quite after you enter the road though the hole he won't notice you if you flank to the left. Section of the stairs before 1st platform is an extremely crazy and steep, in some sections is a 90 degrees vertical climb with the 300 foot drops on each side.
Things get better after 1st platform but before the 3rd platform things get steep and scary again for a few sections with a vertical climb. On top the very top views are breathtaking.

Shane Flynn (56)

1 Completed1 Reviews

So I just did this trail on October 23rd and went at about 4pm because I read that there was only a guard posted from 4am-4pm. This information was wrong and I got there right when they were changing shifts so a new guard was just arriving. I wasn't about to turn back so instead of walking to the entrance, I climbed the side of the mountain below the entrance and then traversed across to the stairs well out of sight of the guard. It was actually really easy and there is so much brush and trees that the guard doesn't have a clear line of sight until you are 300-400 yards up the trail. The bottom line is be respectful of the houses in the neighborhood when you park and walk in and don't cause issues. I highly highly recommend this trail and going in the daytime was so much better than pre-dawn because you could see everything!

Jonathan Young (56)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Make sure you start the hike at 3 to give you time to get to the stairs, I thought the guard would post up by the first gate but he's by the stairs. I pulled the navy card and he said no.

Paul C. Peh (12735)

90 Completed61 Reviews

Approach from Moanalua Middle ridge / Kamananui Valley Road. Take your classic stairs photos and return the same way.

Heather Sumner (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Police officer waiting at the bottom. Absolutely beautiful though.

Support