CLOSED: Haiku Stairs (Stairway To Heaven)

Honolulu, HI

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

A powerful storm passed over the island of Oahu on 2/14/2015 which caused significant damage to the stairway, rendering them unusable. After the storm damage, five hikers got stuck on the east side of the mountain's ridge and were trapped overnight and had to be rescued.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Laura Ellsworth (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

I'm looking to hike the stairs May 3rd or 4th. Anyone else planning on these dates? Shoot me an email ellsworthlbe@hotmail.com

Anjelo Lo (116)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Anyone interested in meeting up to hike on April 27th or 28th, I am more than interested in meeting up prior. I will be on the island for a few days and have a rental. Email me angelayuenlo@gmail.com

Tria Vang (76)

Hi all,

I'm hoping to hike this on either May 24th or 26th in the morning. It'll be my first time so I'd love to have company or if you can offer any tips on finding/getting to the legal trail that'd be awesome! Email me vangtria@gmail.com Thanks in advance!

Ellen Kwan (96)

1 Completed1 Reviews

I'll be in Oahu April 27th-1st. Based on everyone's review Ill probably regret it if I skip on this hike. It seems that finding the "legal trail" is a bit hard to locate, so if any locals or anybody would like to hit up this hike email me at eh2.kwan@gmail.com.

Timo Ding (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Hi. I'm planning to do this hike on the early morning of 25th or 27th this month. Haven't decided whether I want to do it legal way or illegal way since I never done this before. If anyone is interested to join and plan together email me at timotheusding@yahoo.com
Cheers. :)

Allen Smith (101)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Trying to catch the sunrise at the Haʻikū trail tomorrow start hiking at 3:30 am. Anyone want to join? Email me allen.smith08@gmail.com

Tim Barchman (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

I'm looking to do this hike on any day between 7/20/15 - 7/22. I'd be okay with any time. Email me if you're up for it. Tbarchman@gmail.com

Isabelle True (105)

11 Completed1 Reviews

I've been wanting to do this hike. I tried the moanalua middle ridge way and got to the ridge right before the stairs but it started to rain and I was by myself, so I turned around. Anyone interested please text 850-225-8235. My name is Isabelle:)

Jose Aranda (76)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Anyone interested in going to the Haiku Stairs tomorrow morning say 3:00AM 4/19/15 for sunrise? Or early morning say 6:00AM? We are trying to get a group of people to go the legal route. Hit me up JoseAranda@me.com.

Jaime Contreras (86)

1 Completed2 Reviews

Hey does anyone know if the stairs will be fixed in time by April 27-May 3rd? I was so looking forward to doing this hike and then I heard the bad news! If anyone has any other trails they know that are just as awesome, please send that info to contrerasjm@sbcglobal.net! Thanks everyone!

Support