Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

This is an amazing hike with three waterfalls and gorgeous views of Honolulu, Kaneohe, Kailua, Diamond Head, and Ka'au Crater

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Kolton Fields (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

I like a dis;)

Alexandra Barnes (135)

10 Completed1 Reviews

Just got back to the car after doing this one. Hardest "hike" I have ever done. The terrain is the worst I have ever encountered with some of the trail totally gone from mudslides. There was mud everywhere. You had to inch walk/crawl over slippery rocks or break your ankle. The third waterfall is a little bastard! You better have some rock climbing skills because the rope doesn't help much. As for the climb down, suck it. It took us TEN HOURS to complete. It was dark when we finally got out of that hell hole. Thinking of doing this hike? Think again.

Aid Anderson (38)

3 Completed1 Reviews

Most challenging hike I've ever done. It rained on the way there, that was an ominous sign. But we touched it out. We did the 3 waterfalls, the crater and the summit. Take yak trax, climbing gloves and definitely wear long pants! Minimus shoes are also a must!

Alexandra Madden (626)

7 Completed4 Reviews

A challenge, muddy, and fun.

Travis H (63)

4 Completed3 Reviews

Carly I. (126)

20 Completed2 Reviews

Amazing hike. I grew up visiting my family in Palolo several times a year and always wondered about the mountains in the back of the valley. We went when it was relatively dry so I can't imagine how dangerous this would be when it's been raining a lot. Can get very slippery in many spots, so just take your time. The trailhead is located just behind the line of mailboxes and right before the last driveway (you'll see No Trespassing signs and barking dogs). It doesn't look like a trailhead but it's there behind the bushes and trees. You immediately descend to the creek and follow along that to a water pipeline to the first waterfall. The climb to the second waterfall involves ropes but it's not hard. The only difficult part we ran into was right before the third waterfall when coming down a sharp drop with two ropes and very few footholds. After that, the climb up the third waterfall is a lot of fun. I'm terrified of heights but I force myself to do these kind hikes to deal with it! At the top of the third waterfall you can go right to get to the summit or take the trail to the left and up on the ridge. We didn't have time to do the summit so we went left and hiked for a short time before turning back. What we didn't know is that had we continued on our trail, we could keep going and hook up with another trail that would take us back down into the valley on a loop. Bummer, so we will do that next time. My advice - bring climbing gloves, at least 2 litres of water per person (more if it's hot), and good flexible shoes. I wore Merrell hiking sandals and they worked fine but next time I may use my Vibram Five Fingers for a better grip. You may spend time shimmying on your butt, too, so capri length pants/longer shorts are a good idea. Passed a woman wearing crossfit booty shorts and her rear probably got plenty scraped up. But hey, if you look good why not lol! I wouldn't recommend this for beginner/casual hikers.

Kevin McMahon (103)

17 Completed2 Reviews

Probably my favorite hike I've ever done. You have normal walking. Waterfalls. Climbing up and next to the waterfalls. A crater up top a mountain. A view of both sides of the island. Mud slides. Crater walking. Ropes. And downhill fun. This is not the worlds easiest hike but is an amazing accomplishment when you're finished.

Tia Yamashiro (232)

10 Completed7 Reviews

Longest hike I have ever done! & I have hiked many times before this one. It's easy to get to the 3 waterfalls. It takes about an hour to get to the first waterfall and the next 2 are close by. If you're not planning to hike all day, I recommend just hiking to the waterfalls. I kind of got lost after the third waterfall. So make sure you know where to go after that if you plan to hike more. I ended up going up the ridge to the right. Nice view and fun sliding down. Bring lots of water, snacks, and wear long pants.

Benjamin B. (259)

Busy!

Rhonda Tanner (517)

20 Completed4 Reviews

Loved this hike! Didn't go up to the ridge however. Climbed all the waterfalls and instead of going right went left, hiked that ridge line a ways and then headed back down. Not an easy hike but well worth the trip!

Support