Koko Crater Railway Trail

#1 of 2 trails in koko head park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Koko Head/Crater area; Hwy 72 to Koko Crater hike 1100 demanding steps up a railway - great workout for great views of the area east of Waikiki.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Lisa M. (113)

WoWza What a doozie on your calves and lungs, It was great though! Will do it a few more times before we leave island in a few months! 10stars for the thrill of it!! Aloha....

Michael Maughan (925)

25 Completed25 Reviews

Why do you climb a mountain? Because it's there? Because of the view? Because of the sunset? How about all of them!

The Good:
- Plenty of parking at the bottom. There is even bike parking. Just keep an eye on the hours of park so you don't get locked in.
- Well-marked trail leading straight up the mountain.
- Historical structures to explore at the top.
- Great views all around, including one of the Koko Crate Botanical Gardens below.
- Whale watching during the season.
- Geocaching available.

The Not So Good:
- All...the...steps!
- Little shade actually on the trail.
- The bridge may be daunting for some. Just go around to the right.

Bottom Line: Great trail to do at least once while on the island. I might even say I'd do this one instead of Diamond Head if I could only choose one. You can bring kids on this, but they might need a little help.

Yelp!: http://www.yelp.com/biz/koko-crater-railway-trail-honolulu

Michael Quinn (399)

34 Completed17 Reviews

While I was in the best shape of my life I made it up those tracks in 23 minutes...Its a workout that's for sure. The view you get of EVERYTHING is spectacular! The ocean, Hawaii Kai, if its the right time of year you will see many whales breeching the ocean surface. Such a great hike. Reward yourself afterwards by stopping in Teddy's Bigger Burgers in Hawaii Kai.

Cody Trimm (281)

11 Completed7 Reviews

A short hike to the top but it can be very strenuous if you're not used to the elevation. I am not and was huffing and puffing as I slowly made it up (took me a little less than an hour I think). The views at the top are absolutely amazing! I found it more rewarding and a little nicer than Diamondhead because of less people and you actually had to work to get there! Like others have said don't go in the midday heat, I did and regret it.

Rolland-Angee Van Meter (300)

7 Completed4 Reviews

Holy cow! What a workout. The views at top are totally worth it. If you go during the day take plenty of water. It will be hot. Did a sunrise hike too, definitely enjoyed it more because it was cooler.

Julie R. (177)

KoKo Head is beautiful but go before the sun comes up otherwise it is so HOT

Kelley Poe (42)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Elyar Samadi (92)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Amazing, very hard and dangerous. Avoid the people who are running up and down, they might harm you too! On you way back be very careful on the bridge, it's the most dangerous part your legs might start to vibrate because tiredness. Don't strath it fast trust me it's gonna get very hard the last 500 stairs, I believe there are 1050 stairs.

Micaela S. (143)

Carla Gosline (215)

10 Completed2 Reviews

Stair master on steroids! Great workout! Hot, no shade... take water and sunscreen. The views are amazing!

Support