Koko Crater Railway Trail

#1 of 2 trails in koko head park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Koko Head/Crater area; Hwy 72 to Koko Crater hike 1100 demanding steps up a railway - great workout for great views of the area east of Waikiki.

Koko Head/Crater area; Hwy 72 to Koko Crater hike 1106 steps on wooden ties under the railroad tracks to the summit 585 steps from TH to bridge, 69 across bridge, 452 bridge to top) turn left on Lunalilo Home Rd, then right on Anapalau St, which ends on Koko Head State Park Rd (this road can be accessed from Hwy 72, but is sometimes closed). Park in the lot and walk along the road to the trail, which is a 200 feet from the parking lot. The trail goes straight up the stairs midway up must cross trestle, which is dangerous if you misstep. This will get the heart pumping and is not for those with bad knees. Take WATER! and a camera! Great for training, lots of athletes use this for workouts, but the views of Koko Crater and surrounding area are spectacular. Several Youtube videos are available. Crowded on weekends.

Note there is another way up to the top via the ocean side ridge trail... past Hanauma Bay.

From Chris Bailey, Hawaiimagazine.com: The step-like walking track are the ties of an abandoned railway that runs along the crater's west side. This is one of the best trails leading to Puu Mai, the craters highest peak. The ties were for an incline tram used by the military during World War II, to transport personnel and supplies to a lookout post on the summit.

Access to this trail starts at Koko Head Park in Hawaii Kai. The first part of the hike is over a newly landscaped hill behind Goeas Baseball Field to the bottom of the old rail track. Its an exhausting trip. But the real fun is still to come.

Your next mission is a trek up the 1,000-plus steps to the top of Koko crater. The reward? A panoramic view of the east Honolulu shorelinenot to mention one heck of a workout.

A note of caution: Parts of the decades-old railway trail are in disrepair, possibly unsafe and recommended for experienced hikers only. If you do go, prepare accordingly and proceed with caution. Youll find tips from The Division of State Parks for preparing for similar hikes here.

I havent hiked to the summit of Koko Crater yet, but it now definitely tops my list of things I need to do this summer. With views like this, I dont think I can pass it up any longer.

Take Hwy 72 to Koko Crater hike turn left on Lunalilo Home Rd, then right on Anapalau St, which ends on Koko Head State Park Rd (this road can be accessed from Hwy 72, but is sometimes closed).

Alternate from Waikiki: Take H1 east bound and you will see Koko Crater on the left side. The seaward wall of the crater can be seen from Kalanianale Highway just past Hanauma Bay on the East Coast, approximately 20-minutes from Waikiki. HIKE TO THE TOP: start behind the Hawaii Job Corps Training Center across from Hanauma Bay - follow the road past the rifle range and park at the Training Center. HIKE

Parking is free next to baseball field, crowded on weekends; don't leave valuables in the car. Also near a shooting range. Public restrooms.

Koko Head Regional Park in Honolulu County, HI
Koko Head Park Rd
Honolulu, HI 96825

10 Completed 2 Reviews

Stair master on steroids! Great workout! Hot, no shade... take water and sunscreen. The views are amazing!

Icon_

11 Completed 8 Reviews

This is a great quick cardio workout and spectacular views! If you're moving briskly, 20 - 25 minutes to the top. Unrelenting climb, feels like a 45 degree angle. I love the part where you're going over the open railroad ties. Very popular and busy, but plenty of parking nearby. Do it twice for an intense workout.

2 Completed 1 Reviews

Man what a demanding climb but oh was it worth it. The gem of a cute at the top is breathtaking. (Not for the weary)

17 Completed 1 Reviews

One of my fave "sweet & short" hike. Did this again the 4th time on 4th of July and despite having too many people crowding the steps it took me only 25 minutes to reach the top, my goal is to finished this hike in 15 mins! I love this hike for i am "huffing & puffing & felt like i am gonna have SVT's" each time but once i passed the warming up on my heart rate, I'm good to go. Yesterday was my Nico's (13 y.o.) first attempt to climbed Koko, and he was able to reached the top after an hour, i have to go down and check on him (my good husband stayed with him). I saw a lot of young kids going up & down without a sweat, some were even running & jumping, so i kept teasing him and told him he has to do it again, without a word his facial expression was protesting. I also saw a very pregnant lady, maybe on her 3rd trimester, on top of the trail, and so i gave her a thumbs up. Better do this early in the morning, my back got toasted from the sweltering heat of the sun.

32 Completed 13 Reviews

Have done this hike plenty of times...My kind of hike...short and and sweet...

12 Completed 9 Reviews

Everything you have heard. Goes straight up. Quick. Great views though.

4 Completed 2 Reviews

What can I say?? For inclines this has been my most challenging. The numbers along the side help keep you motivated to continue. I carried my 2 y/o daughter which added additional difficulty coming up. If your afraid of a small expansion this is not for you. I witnessed a person turn around because of it. Great challenge.

Icon_a1014f2ee3d333c2de29182c84d45f23

70 Completed 43 Reviews

Try the side trail that runs parallel to the Log ties. Just make sure you have shoes with good grips.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

I don't know if I'm just that out of shape or because it was my second hike of the day, but this was no joke. My muscles were fine, but my heart and lungs couldn't keep pace. It was also hot out. The ties are unevenly space horizontally and vertically. Some on the trellis were wobbly too. The was down was easy although I heard many older people complaining about the strain on their knees ( totally understandable). Great views if you go all the way to the top and look into the caldera.

5 Completed 2 Reviews

Ohh man,

What can I say, but I had the best time of my life and excited to make another trip. I'm just around 370lbs so I don't want to hear you can't make it. Take your time and enjoy yourself and the views. Got give a hand to all the do this daily or just once. This trail is hard. Can be slippery. Can be very hot. Can be very windy. Be safe and mind other hikers. Ohh and always have Aloha.

Support