Koko Crater Trail

Honolulu, HI
Share review on:

Thanks! How would you describe the trail and its activities?

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Koko Crater Trail is a 0.7 mile out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1 Completed 2 Reviews

I don't know if I'm just that out of shape or because it was my second hike of the day, but this was no joke. My muscles were fine, but my heart and lungs couldn't keep pace. It was also hot out. The ties are unevenly space horizontally and vertically. Some on the trellis were wobbly too. The was down was easy although I heard many older people complaining about the strain on their knees ( totally understandable). Great views if you go all the way to the top and look into the caldera.

Brian Gaines

2 Completed 2 Reviews

It's not the Manitou Colorado incline trail, but it'll still give you a great little workout. The summit provides a fantastic view of the windward side of Oahu (Hawai'i Kia area, Hanauma Bay, the Blow Hole, and Sandy beach area".

13 Completed 5 Reviews

We have done this hike twice, once mid day, one to be at the top for a gorgeous sunrise. Both were good in their own right, but the sunrise was less crowded, which I liked. This is a steep hike, the open railroad track always freaks me out, but I refuse to go around. Conquer the fears!! I would do this hike many times over, it's a bitch, but the views are worth every step up!!

2 Completed 1 Reviews

I definitely enjoyed it. it was a great work out. saw a l Iot of kids and elderly sime with their dogs, I even saw a guy going up the stairs with a new born. I recommend it great cardio and will leave your legs shaking but getting to the top makes up for it

23 Completed 2 Reviews

amazing

29 Completed 3 Reviews

It's a short & steep hike! Loved it! Was a great morning workout with a beautiful 360 degree view! :) just make sure to go early to beat the sun, there's hardly any coverage...

9 Completed 8 Reviews

I didn't find this hike too challenging, my 5 year old hiked it with me and had no problems. I would suggest early morning or right around sunset, little to no shade makes it hot. Great views from the top, a must do!

2 Completed 2 Reviews

One of the most challenging hikes I've done in a while but the view from the top made it all worth it. Absolutely stunning!

30 Completed 10 Reviews

I have hiked Koko Head once or twice a week on the average for about a year and a half. This is my absolute all-time favorite hike! Short and steep if you're not going around the crater. I hiked once or twice a week on the average for about a year and a half; once i got comfortable, I would run down the steps. You get your cardio workout, do lunges up and down the rail (I'm short so I really got to stretch my legs), work your buns off, and develop some massive calves. But one thing is for sure, it never got any easier for me...Now that I live in the PNW, I am in pursuit of another one of nature's stair master!

16 Completed 6 Reviews

Hiked Koko head today... That makes 3 for me! Great work out and great views, plus the breeze at the top... What more could you ask for!? All 3 times it has been busy, but it makes for good motivation; no matter if its the person passing you, the person on their second trip or that person who cheers you on :-) Can't wait for hike #4!

Support