Koko Crater Trail

Honolulu, HI

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Koko Crater Trail is a 0.7 mile out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

11 Completed 8 Reviews

This is a great quick cardio workout and spectacular views! If you're moving briskly, 20 - 25 minutes to the top. Unrelenting climb, feels like a 45 degree angle. I love the part where you're going over the open railroad ties. Very popular and busy, but plenty of parking nearby. Do it twice for an intense workout.

17 Completed 1 Reviews

One of my fave "sweet & short" hike. Did this again the 4th time on 4th of July and despite having too many people crowding the steps it took me only 25 minutes to reach the top, my goal is to finished this hike in 15 mins! I love this hike for i am "huffing & puffing & felt like i am gonna have SVT's" each time but once i passed the warming up on my heart rate, I'm good to go. Yesterday was my Nico's (13 y.o.) first attempt to climbed Koko, and he was able to reached the top after an hour, i have to go down and check on him (my good husband stayed with him). I saw a lot of young kids going up & down without a sweat, some were even running & jumping, so i kept teasing him and told him he has to do it again, without a word his facial expression was protesting. I also saw a very pregnant lady, maybe on her 3rd trimester, on top of the trail, and so i gave her a thumbs up. Better do this early in the morning, my back got toasted from the sweltering heat of the sun.

33 Completed 13 Reviews

Have done this hike plenty of times...My kind of hike...short and and sweet...

1 Completed 1 Reviews

I don't know if I'm just that out of shape or because it was my second hike of the day, but this was no joke. My muscles were fine, but my heart and lungs couldn't keep pace. It was also hot out. The ties are unevenly space horizontally and vertically. Some on the trellis were wobbly too. The was down was easy although I heard many older people complaining about the strain on their knees ( totally understandable). Great views if you go all the way to the top and look into the caldera.

Person_placeholder

Brian Gaines

2 Completed 2 Reviews

It's not the Manitou Colorado incline trail, but it'll still give you a great little workout. The summit provides a fantastic view of the windward side of Oahu (Hawai'i Kia area, Hanauma Bay, the Blow Hole, and Sandy beach area".

13 Completed 5 Reviews

We have done this hike twice, once mid day, one to be at the top for a gorgeous sunrise. Both were good in their own right, but the sunrise was less crowded, which I liked. This is a steep hike, the open railroad track always freaks me out, but I refuse to go around. Conquer the fears!! I would do this hike many times over, it's a bitch, but the views are worth every step up!!

Person_placeholder

2 Completed 1 Reviews

I definitely enjoyed it. it was a great work out. saw a l Iot of kids and elderly sime with their dogs, I even saw a guy going up the stairs with a new born. I recommend it great cardio and will leave your legs shaking but getting to the top makes up for it

26 Completed 2 Reviews

amazing

29 Completed 3 Reviews

It's a short & steep hike! Loved it! Was a great morning workout with a beautiful 360 degree view! :) just make sure to go early to beat the sun, there's hardly any coverage...

12 Completed 8 Reviews

I didn't find this hike too challenging, my 5 year old hiked it with me and had no problems. I would suggest early morning or right around sunset, little to no shade makes it hot. Great views from the top, a must do!

Support