Palisades Creek

#1 of 73 trails in Targhee National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Palisades Creek is a 12 mile out and back trail located near Victor, Idaho and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, but is also good for mountain biking and horseback riding; and is accessible from June until October.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Myron B. (36)

What a great Fall hike a lot less people than during the busy Summer months. Your app is wrong on both elevation and distance to the upper lake. It is 7 mile hike to the upper lake, so it's 14 in and out. Elevation gain was 1850 feet.

Sam Wright (56)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great hike! you always see people there especially before you get to the lower lake

Josh Chaffee (75)

17 Completed1 Reviews

This is a great hike that I do several times a year. Very easy to the lower lake but the overall hike isn't too hard. It is well worth it to hike all the way to the upper lake. I usually spend the whole day hiking and swimming on this hike.

Kris Cummings (149)

4 Completed4 Reviews

Near Palisades Lake Dam. Narrow steeper hiking trail with great high bridges over fast flowing water. Lots of hikers in this area. Really pretty area to see. Worth the hike or ride to the 2nd lake. Came across 2 boy Scout groups of about 50 kids at the 1st lake. Rode our horses during the week had less foot traffic there is no place to pass with the steep narrow trails in some areas. Keep a eye out for places to pull over/. Bridges are long, high and narrow. Not for the novice rider.

Dean Humphrys (76)

4 Completed1 Reviews

Great easy hike. Only down side was all the people. I extended the hike to the falls at Waterfall Canyon and back. It adds about 4.5 miles (1 way) to the Palisades Creek round trip. it gets a bit steep during the 1st half of the Waterfall Canyon extension. Long Day!

David Ashby (570)

17 Completed17 Reviews

We love this trail. Today was a hot, windy day in the Snake River Valley, but up here it was beautiful. We had too many small kids with us today, so we didn't make it up very far. But it was a great hike anyway. We'll be coming back for sure.

Jami Anderson (87)

4 Completed3 Reviews

This is a pretty hike but it gets a little boring at times because it's all the same. Very easy hike, my young children could have easily done it. If you want a leisurely day hike on a nice day I would recommend it

Joshua Zuluaga (91)

5 Completed1 Reviews

This was a beautiful Hike, I backpacked it a while back and I the views are breathtaking. It is a little rocky at some points but the views are amazing

Isaac Lawrence (78)

3 Completed3 Reviews

A great hike! A great place for a backpacking trip and the lake is stocked with fish. We saw many deer and if you follow the trail closest to and on the north side of the lake for about a quarter of a mile, you can find an awesome rope swing that goes out over the lake.

Paul Bigwood (57)

1 Completed1 Reviews

This was a beautiful hike, but the weather wasn't cooperative... We planned 2 nights of camping, but rain and hail the first night made us decide to cut it a night short. In better weather this must be an amazing trip!

Support