Palisades Creek

#1 of 72 trails in Targhee National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Palisades Creek is a 12 mile out and back trail located near Victor, Idaho and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, but is also good for mountain biking and horseback riding; and is accessible from June until October.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

James Tompkins (51)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Fantastic trail. We only made it to the lower lake. Fished for about an hour and a half and our group caught quite a few 8-12" cuthroats. Flies were a problem around the lake. There isn't a lot of elevation gain, but the trail goes up and down quite a bit; so overall you feel as though you've walked uphill more than the elevation change lets on. I was very impressed with how much wildlife we saw: three moose, a fox, several snakes, and an angry grouse.

Justin Golledge (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Went on the hike and it was great going up. Once we reached the upper lake, the flies were eating us alive (even with lots of bug stray). I could only fish for an hour before I had to leave because of the flies. The hike back was tougher for me because I couldn't rest enough at the upper lake. If you are going to camp and fish, I would camp at the lower lake and hike up to the upper lake to fish. The flies aren't nearly as bad in the lower lake as they are at the upper lake.

Trevor Edwards (82)

1 Completed1 Reviews

It was a great hike- but a little long for a day hike.
Fishing at the upper lake was great - except for the biting flies.

Sonat Sen (151)

6 Completed4 Reviews

Great hike. We wen't on a Friday, there was not so many people and no horse at all.

Corey Brady (260)

2 Completed3 Reviews

A couple times a year my buddies and I backpack into a place to fish and camp for a few days. We picked this hike because we read online there was pretty decent fishing in the upper lake. The hike to lower lake is pretty simple and easy but the hike from lower lake to upper lake is a little more strenuous. We made the entire hike in about 4 hours going up and roughly 3 1/2 coming down. The fishing was good in upper lake. We caught a little over 100 fish in 2 days of fishing but if you're looking for variety or size, neither were to be found. All were cutthroat and all were roughly 8" to 12" long. Fish were hitting on red & gold jakes and black and gold panther martins. We camped on the north-west side of the lake. There are a couple good sites to camp on that side. We hiked up the east side on the path to the waterfall. Just so you know you must stay to the right on that path. If you go left, it takes you clear back and up the mountain. There are signs at the beginning of the trailhead but none as you continue up. Just stay to the right! We saw a few different signs of life up there. On the trail up about 1/4 mile in we startled a bear on the trail. Fortunately the bear took off up the trail. Saw moose and a couple bucks as well. We went on a Sunday-Tuesday and saw very few people. Most were coming down the day we were headed up. The trail was very busy when we were coming down. Multiple groups of people were headed up. The lower lake had a bunch of mosquitoes so if you plan on spending time there bring repellant. Overall this is a great trip for either a day or a week.

Braigen Sorensen (36)

Great hike

Myron B. (76)

What a great Fall hike a lot less people than during the busy Summer months. Your app is wrong on both elevation and distance to the upper lake. It is 7 mile hike to the upper lake, so it's 14 in and out. Elevation gain was 1850 feet.

Sam Wright (96)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great hike! you always see people there especially before you get to the lower lake

Josh Chaffee (115)

17 Completed1 Reviews

This is a great hike that I do several times a year. Very easy to the lower lake but the overall hike isn't too hard. It is well worth it to hike all the way to the upper lake. I usually spend the whole day hiking and swimming on this hike.

Kris Cummings (149)

4 Completed4 Reviews

Near Palisades Lake Dam. Narrow steeper hiking trail with great high bridges over fast flowing water. Lots of hikers in this area. Really pretty area to see. Worth the hike or ride to the 2nd lake. Came across 2 boy Scout groups of about 50 kids at the 1st lake.

Rode our horses during the week had less foot traffic there is no place to pass with the steep narrow trails in some areas. Keep a eye out for places to pull over/. Bridges are long, high and narrow. Not for the novice rider.

Support