Clifty Falls State Park

Madison, IN
Share review on:

Thanks! How would you describe the trail and its activities?

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Clifty Falls State Park is a 14 mile loop trail located near Madison, Indiana that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, scenic driving & walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2 Completed 1 Reviews

We visited Clifty Falls when we stayed at Richwood Plantation B&B in Milton,Kentucky. There are some great views from the overlooks.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

there is not a fourteen mile trail. instead their are about 8 small 2-5 mile trains crisscrossing over the entire park. get a map! if you are N inexperienced hiker with no navigation tools it could be very easy for you to get lost. scenery was beautiful though.

24 Completed 19 Reviews

I thought that this park was very pretty and had lots of cool caves and rock formations and some very beautiful views. I hated seeing the huge towers and factories though once I got high up into the forest. These trails can be fairly challenging, and they often drop off steeply on one side, so you have to be careful. Not for those afraid of heights.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

We went on this hike in April and it was gorgeous. Took our four year old, she was a little young for parts of the trail but did great. The height had me worried, but she handled it like a champ. Would recommend hiking w a buddy. Lots of beautiful views. Prettiest hike we have been on in a while.

3 Completed 3 Reviews

We hiked trails 8, 1, 9, 6, &7. The only complaint I can come up with is that you have to hike along the road between 9 & 6. The speed limit is on 15 mph, most everyone speeds into the blind curves. However, even the road offers nice things to see. As for the trails though one word comes to mind, "spectacular"! I did these trails with a 10 & 13 year old, and they did great! Your skill level doesn't need to be expert. This is by far the most scenic trails I have been on to date. There are many beautiful waterfalls, flowing creeks, natural springs, and countless rock formations. I highly recommend you add this park to your list of places to hike. You won't be disappointed!

4 Completed 5 Reviews

By far the best trails I have ever done. The trails are very well maintained and the scenery is just breathtaking. Anyone of any physical level can do these trails. I've seen elderly folks on canes as well as children. There's a Nature Center with activities and interesting things to learn about inside. Also, along the trail is an Observatory tower. You'll get some great views of waterfalls, cliffs, streams and more. The boardwalks they provided are updated as well.

17 Completed 10 Reviews

Best hiked with a partner if it has been wet due to the potential water level and the steepness of the grade on several trails. This park includes ravine down to the creek which provides for a very rugged adventure with numerous times having to climb up on shelf/rocks to continue along path. Fairly well marked but also overgrown in places. I saw wild pheasant several times. The noise of a factory on the Ohio River was very distracting on the South side of the park near trail 1. I strung together several trails to get a 4 mile hike in the day I went but you could loop the entire park on the trails at the top of the ravine for a 10 mile day. Map on state park website is up to date. I saw no people at the park on the day I went which was a little disconcerting. +pit toilet facilities.

4 Completed 3 Reviews

Hiked the loop all the way around the park in February. Trail was in very good condition except the light snow covering rocks and roots was very dangerous. I only met two people on the trail and they were very close to the main parking area. There were formations, waterfalls and vistas around every bend. If your in the area this is a must hike.

9 Completed 4 Reviews

Hiked Trails 7, 5, 2 & 1. Not much water flowing over the falls at this time of the year. Trail 7 loops along the top of Clifty Falls & Little Clifty Falls. Then hiked down 5 to trail 2 which takes you to the base of Clifty Falls. The most strenuous portion was the ascent back up trail 5. There is an observation tower by trail 1 with a nice view of the Ohio River and a coal power plant.

3 Completed 1 Reviews

Beautiful well kept park. The trails were well mark. We loved trail 2 which went through and along the creek. Sadly enough next to no water, but still rugged. We also did trails 3 & 4 and really enjoyed them. Caves are closed which was disappointing and don't look like they will be opening any time soon. We would visit this park again even though it was a 4 hr drive.

Support