Low Gap Trail in Morgan-Monroe State Forest

#1 of 3 trails in Morgan Monroe State Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Low Gap Trail in Morgan-Monroe State Forest is a 10 mile loop trail located near Martinsville, Indiana and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for hiking & trail running and is accessible year-round.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Shawn M (388)

20 Completed7 Reviews

Beautiful trail and very well maintained by HHC. I hiked counter clockwise and thought I went the wrong way once I got to the rock road with all of the private property signs. It turned out to be the right way and just keep following the rock road until you reach the other parking lot. From there, you can connect right with the Mason Ridge Trail if you are heading back to the first parking lot. Nice long trail with some great features along the way.

Deryck Ramey (151)

3 Completed2 Reviews

Emily Chester (92)

2 Completed2 Reviews

I enjoyed most of this hike so much. I think there are some better vistas on the Three Lakes Trail, but some of the valleys and overlooks and the rock shelter on this one are gorgeous. I got a little nervous as I was walking the gravel road along private property that I had made a mistake and missed the trail, but at the end of the road it was clear the trail resumed. I would recommend it for great exercise, but some parts are a bit straight and tedious.

Lynda Gerhart (38)

3 Completed1 Reviews

I hike this trail multiple times a year, have even done it at night. Lots of scenery and some good climbs for cardio. Usually take about 4 hours so I can enjoy it. I recommend this trail for anyone in good condition. Morgan Monroe marks their trails very well so there should be no problems finding your way.

Tiffy Rene (67)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Really enjoyed seeing the wildlife! Unfortunately, we foolishly didn't bring bug spray today =[ other than the insects bothering us, we had a really enjoyable hike, with variations in altitude, and changing terrain underfoot. I'll definitely be coming back to do this trail again! The workout on your legs is just excellent =]

Bart H. (125)

Great day hike tucked away in Monroe county. It took me and my crew about 4 hours to complete and we were beat tired after finishing. We ended up hiking the Mason Ridge trail instead of staying on the gravel trail (lame). This was a more scenic route that ended up being just shy of 11 miles for the day. A lot of fun on this rugged trail!

Bruce Leavitt (41)

3 Completed1 Reviews

Ticks!

Trent Smith (421)

16 Completed16 Reviews

Great hike that is only 40 minutes from Indy. I hike this trail several times a year for a good cardio workout. Hiking at a good pace and not taking any breaks, its about a 3 hour hike. I also like it because if I'm not feeling it that day, I can cut out the river bottom section which shaves off about 2 miles.

Dave Wallace (555)

12 Completed4 Reviews

loved this trail...it was a bit strenuous though... some beautiful rocks in one section...I will be doing an overnighter here....loved it

James Downey (226)

10 Completed7 Reviews

This is a close to home hike for the family. Nice elevation change after the rock shelter giving the legs a good work out. The service roads leave a lot to be desired but the back country area has some cool spots to hang a hammock and chill.

Support