Low Gap Trail in Morgan-Monroe State Forest

#1 of 3 trails in Morgan Monroe State Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Low Gap Trail in Morgan-Monroe State Forest is a 10 mile loop trail located near Martinsville, Indiana and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for hiking & trail running and is accessible year-round.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Tiffy Rene (67)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Really enjoyed seeing the wildlife! Unfortunately, we foolishly didn't bring bug spray today =[ other than the insects bothering us, we had a really enjoyable hike, with variations in altitude, and changing terrain underfoot. I'll definitely be coming back to do this trail again! The workout on your legs is just excellent =]

Bart H. (125)

Great day hike tucked away in Monroe county. It took me and my crew about 4 hours to complete and we were beat tired after finishing. We ended up hiking the Mason Ridge trail instead of staying on the gravel trail (lame). This was a more scenic route that ended up being just shy of 11 miles for the day. A lot of fun on this rugged trail!

Bruce Leavitt (41)

3 Completed1 Reviews

Ticks!

Trent Smith (421)

16 Completed16 Reviews

Great hike that is only 40 minutes from Indy. I hike this trail several times a year for a good cardio workout. Hiking at a good pace and not taking any breaks, its about a 3 hour hike. I also like it because if I'm not feeling it that day, I can cut out the river bottom section which shaves off about 2 miles.

Dave Wallace (495)

12 Completed4 Reviews

loved this trail...it was a bit strenuous though... some beautiful rocks in one section...I will be doing an overnighter here....loved it

James Downey (226)

10 Completed7 Reviews

This is a close to home hike for the family. Nice elevation change after the rock shelter giving the legs a good work out. The service roads leave a lot to be desired but the back country area has some cool spots to hang a hammock and chill.

Randy Bugh (770)

106 Completed14 Reviews

Not marked that well, but was a nice walk through the woods.

John Bain (121)

2 Completed1 Reviews

My eight year old son and I did the Low Gap. It was a very enjoyable trail with some pretty cool features.

Dusty Cowell (319)

12 Completed12 Reviews

I enjoy Low Gap. However, I wish the end of trail didnt spend so much time on gravel. The trail is easy to follow with many peaceful spots along the way. The trail has a few hill climbs. The trail head is easy to find.

Rod Lange (499)

15 Completed12 Reviews

We completed this trail in just 5 hours. It's very interesting and well marked. Helps to have a map. Don't forget the bug juice!

Support