Low Gap Trail in Morgan-Monroe State Forest

#1 of 3 trails in Morgan Monroe State Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Low Gap Trail in Morgan-Monroe State Forest is a 10 mile loop trail located near Martinsville, Indiana and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for hiking & trail running and is accessible year-round.

Bart Hensley

5 Completed 3 Reviews

Great day hike tucked away in Monroe county. It took me and my crew about 4 hours to complete and we were beat tired after finishing. We ended up hiking the Mason Ridge trail instead of staying on the gravel trail (lame). This was a more scenic route that ended up being just shy of 11 miles for the day. A lot of fun on this rugged trail!

3 Completed 1 Reviews

Ticks!

16 Completed 16 Reviews

Great hike that is only 40 minutes from Indy. I hike this trail several times a year for a good cardio workout. Hiking at a good pace and not taking any breaks, its about a 3 hour hike. I also like it because if I'm not feeling it that day, I can cut out the river bottom section which shaves off about 2 miles.

11 Completed 4 Reviews

loved this trail...it was a bit strenuous though... some beautiful rocks in one section...I will be doing an overnighter here....loved it

Icon_03346c12c3ea4682156fa50cc33ca3e4

10 Completed 7 Reviews

This is a close to home hike for the family. Nice elevation change after the rock shelter giving the legs a good work out. The service roads leave a lot to be desired but the back country area has some cool spots to hang a hammock and chill.

106 Completed 14 Reviews

Not marked that well, but was a nice walk through the woods.

Icon_

2 Completed 1 Reviews

My eight year old son and I did the Low Gap. It was a very enjoyable trail with some pretty cool features.

11 Completed 11 Reviews

I enjoy Low Gap. However, I wish the end of trail didnt spend so much time on gravel. The trail is easy to follow with many peaceful spots along the way. The trail has a few hill climbs. The trail head is easy to find.

15 Completed 12 Reviews

We completed this trail in just 5 hours. It's very interesting and well marked. Helps to have a map. Don't forget the bug juice!

Amanda Ferguson-Macy

25 Completed 3 Reviews

The first portion of the trail through the nature preserve was beautiful once we were off the gravel road. Several hilly climbs afterwards. We crossed the road into the backcountry and camped at a wonderful site. It was surrounded by pine trees. We passed several sites until we found this camp site. It was sad some of the camp sites had so much litter. The next morning we made several hilly climbs and then hiked on the gravel road for a good portion. After meeting back along the trail it ran along the forest road until we were back in the parking lot. Remember to take water because there were no places to filter.

Support