Berea Forest Trail

Berea, KY

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Berea Forest Trail is a 6.7 mile loop trail located near Berea, Kentucky that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

D N (179)

10 Completed7 Reviews

So far, my all time favorite trail just because of the spectacular views and elevation changes. Can be very strenuous for newbie hikers. The first part of the trail from the parking lot is pretty rough for first timers, and then the three major trails you can take up after that have their own difficulties. There are 5 main points everyone should check out: West Pinnacle, Indian Fort Lookout, Eagle's Nest, Buzzards' Roost and East Pinnacle. You can visit them all anywhere from 2 hours - 5 hours (depending on quickly you go, how long you take in the view, how many people you're with). Supposedly the trails close before nightfall, but every time I've been there late there are almost always people still hiking.

Bobby Haddix (124)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Myself and 3 friends did the popular part of this trail. The initial climb is pretty tough right out of the parking lot and through a small camping area. Once up to where the trail splits it levels out. We choose the West Pinnacle first. Very flat and smooth hiking all the way to the point where you reach the West Pinnacle. View from West Pinnacle was not really the greatest and you have to scale your way up through rocks to reach the summit for the view. We left the West Pinnacles and trekked back down the same trail since there were no trail maps available. When we got back to the trail split we headed to the right and up to the East Pinnacles. The trail had a slight to moderate incline all the way up until you reach what I like to refer to as The Sunlight (most of the trails we covered were canopy covered). Here it levels out and leads to one last incline that levels out around the East Pinnacle! View from the East Pinnacle was much better and very photogenic! Looking forward to going back in the future and trekking to the other destination locations within the trail system.

Becky Terry (69)

2 Completed1 Reviews

I bring my dogs here each time I come. The beginning is challenging as it's all uphill. Once you reach the middle of the mountain, to see the overlook take a right, then it is a flat walk until you reach another uphill which leads you to the overlook. It's pretty rough but well worth it.

Grace McKenzie (91)

4 Completed2 Reviews

Local folks call this The Pinnacle and you'll see a lot of locals here on a warm day... and some on cold days as well. East Pinnacle at sunrise is amazing... West Pinnacle at sunset also amazing. Berea College gives students a day off to hike in October. If you know how to navigate it, you could make a loop of it, but I usually go to one Pinnacle or the other on any particular day.

Gail A. (791)

We parked in an unmarked lot that said something about Indian Fort. Once on the trail, what fun! We visited all the sites - West Pinnacle, East Pinnacle, Buzzard Roost, Eagle's Nest (my favorite). I wouldn't call this trail a loop, but we managed to find our way back to the car. Most turns were well marked. Some steep climbs, but not so much that you wanted to stop. The views were definitely worth the trip!

Robert Kemper (1349)

43 Completed8 Reviews

One of my favorite trails in Central KY. Steep climb at beginning and levels off to some nice running trails. Great views!

Robert Kemper (1349)

43 Completed8 Reviews

Damage Toney (77)

1 Completed1 Reviews

I imagine that this hike has amazing views however I went on a low ceiling day. Top was steep but seemed pretty sweet especially since there are only two "major"elevation gains. I can't wait for round two on a sunny day. Highly recommend this hike.

Katherine Oliva (46)

1 Completed1 Reviews

My friends and I like this one a lot. There's a lot of beautiful foliage and the trails very in difficulty - easy to hard - which is good because my group has varying abilities. We've been a few times and enjoyed it every time.

Sven Maffett (57)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Great run,lots of trails in berea forest or "the pinnacles" as its locally known. The same area is listed under 3 dif headings on this site.

Support