Natural Bridge and Hood Branch Trail

#1 of 10 trails in Natural Bridge State Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Natural Bridge and Hood Branch Trail is a 5.4 mile loop trail located near Slade, Kentucky that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Danny G (251)

11 Completed11 Reviews

Extremely popular tourist destination. There's actually a chair lift you can take to the top, although I didn't take it. We took the original trail to the top-about 1.5 mile or so (each way). Steady climb all the way up, but plenty of benches to stop and rest. Very impressive at the top with a view for miles. If you want another, and dare I say, better, natural bridge check out Sky Bridge which is close by, an easier walk, and far less people.

Erryn Murphy (588)

14 Completed9 Reviews

Very steep trail to the natural bridge (3/4) mile. The bridge is really awesome. It gets crowded at the bridge which I really didn't like. There was also a chair lift that takes people to the top for those who don't or can't hike. This makes for crowds of noisy people-annoying for me when I am trying to enjoy the sounds of nature. To be fair, we didn't arrive until early afternoon due to our travel circumstances. It may be very quiet and low key in the early morning ( when we usually like to hike). If you keep hiking past the chair you will hike to Lover's Leap with some rocky outcrops and overlooks. The views are pretty and you can look across the valley to the natural bridge!

Leah Ching (107)

2 Completed2 Reviews

The bridge itself is absolutely breathtaking.. Great views from up top, scenery along be the path is cool, trails are clear and well marked with signs. Multiple trail overlaps so it was cool to switch it up and do parts of most of them.

Kevin Monaghan (562)

5 Completed5 Reviews

Easy to find driving. Long hike, for an amateur. A lot to see on the way, view from the top is amazing! There was a sky-lift there, but it was not open when we went. There are also stairs you can take, we used them on the way down. Make sure to get a picture from the ground looking up at the Arch, it's impressive to say the least. Once on top, we got an awesome panoramic shot. There's also a super narrow passage you have to walk through in order to get up to the top which was strange and awesome!

Alyssa Narum (641)

24 Completed2 Reviews

This is a great hike with really cool geographical features. I highly suggest going during the autumn season when the leaves are changing. The views during that time are spectacular!

Jason Day (553)

8 Completed2 Reviews

Matt Scofield (97)

3 Completed1 Reviews

Russell Shouse (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Josh Hess (108)

7 Completed3 Reviews

This is one of my favorite trails in KY. Natural bridge is awesome, along with a lot of the other trails in the gorge. It's a wonderful hike, and I strongly recommend checking it out, if you haven't.

Kacey Hart (621)

11 Completed5 Reviews

We always have a great time on this trail and it is very family friendly. Lots of neat rock formations and spectacular views.

Support