Sugar Cane Trail

#2 of 10 trails in Kisatchie National Forest
Sugarcane Trail is a 7.6 mile loop trail located near Minden, Louisiana. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking.

7.6 miles Loop
hiking mountain biking
Hide Map

Stacy Rankin

1 Completed1 Reviews

Very quiet moderate hike. Flat. Nice and dry this time of year. Trailhead is located when you turn left towards the campgrounds, on the left side of the road.

Pam Rowe

16 Completed13 Reviews

I enjoyed this trail. Part of it feels like you are in a deep forest, and part of it you are walking by the lake. I didn't find the proper trailhead until I was leaving the park though. I followed the GPS on this site and I didn't see a trailhead. A little bit up from where it said it was, I found a trail that was unmarked leading into the woods. Fortunately, I was still able to do the entire trail from there. When entering the park, after you pass the signs that state a permit is required beyond this point, the trailhead is up a little on the left.

Eric White

3 Completed2 Reviews

This is an excellently maintained trail. Next trip to minden I will be back. Oh ya, bring $3 cash it is a national park.

Ronald Owens

2 Completed2 Reviews

We hiked the entire trail starting at the trailhead. Overall, the trail was well maintained and marked without a lot of roots or marshy areas. It would be good for hiking, cycling, or trail running. Saw a few hikers and one group of cyclers, not too much for a Saturday. I would recommend that anyone in the area check this trail out.

Jeff Norris

3 Completed3 Reviews

05/04/14 Instead of parking at the trailhead, I parked at the boat launch and hiked around, which is a 5.1 mile loop. Starting at the trailhead adds another 2 miles, but I like just doing loops. Well maintained and shaded the entire way. I didn't see anyone else while on the trail, which ends (at the boat ramp) with a walk across the levy that separates Upper and Lower Caney Lake.

There are two loops shown on the map for mountain biking, but I am going to include those loops on my next hike there, and my guestimate is that it might add another mile.

Halley Rachal

6 Completed5 Reviews

I really enjoyed this trail! Great for biking or hiking. Part of the trail goes along side the lake and it's a nice view. For biking I would consider it as mostly easy with a few intermediate areas. There are many roots, but I've seen worse. There are a few nice hills, a few bridge crossings. There were at least 3 spots that were difficult to cross because there was standing water and no bridge. You can maneuver around it but you have to go through thick brush sometimes. Keep that in mind if it has rained a lot recently. The trail was well marked and clean. Directions to Caney Lakes Recreation Area:
Take I-20 East to Minden then go North through town. Turn right (east) at on Broadway which is the main blvd. Go a few blocks and look for the small brown Caney Lake sign directing you to turn left. That should be Lewisville Rd.(159). Follow that road north roughly 4.5 miles, then turn west onto Parish Road 111, drive 2.3 miles, enter the park on left. I parked at the boat launch.

Jordan McGowen

1 Completed1 Reviews

The length of the trail is perfect for a good out and back but the scenery and quality of the trail are slightly lacking. On the day I was out there, trees were scattered fallen all over the trail which would have made it horrible for mountain biking and still frustrating in places for running. There are no mile markers or water along the course either. If you are in the area, check it out but if it is not convenient you can probably find something better elsewhere.

james covert

2 Completed2 Reviews

Very nice trail. It is well marked. Hiked it in just over 2 hours. Would be more fun on a mountain bike! Might try next weekend! Saw a deer crossing the trail. I reached the trail head in the heat of the day, at about 3 pm. The trail is mostly shaded so it was actually very pleasant.

Alexis Vergara

4 Completed4 Reviews

Great 7.6 mile loop. Only people we saw while hiking were people fishing on the lake. Mid 70s and mostly sunny, couldn't ask for better. When the trail splits after the second road crossing its an easier hike if you go left. Just follow the red diamonds and enjoy!

David Merrick

7 Completed4 Reviews

Nice Trail. Very quiet and peaceful. There was one point where I heard a lot of barking. So I sped up while looking for a long stick to fence them off. Luckily I never saw them LOL! Overall it was a good hike, my only regret is I didn't have my mountain bike with me. This trail would have been a good biking trail. (Easy One)

You do have to pay to park there. $3.00 Well worth it