Sugar Cane Trail

EASY
#2 of 10 trails in Kisatchie National Forest
l>
Sugar Cane Trail is a 6.4 mile loop trail located near Minden, LA and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round.

hiking mountain biking walking
Hide Map

Trevor Mikesell

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great trial, marked well and maintained well. Some loops off the trail added some greater degrees of difficulty.

Marianne Bassinger

7 Completed8 Reviews

very easy trail well maintained only part was where i had to walk across a fallen tree that was in the water which I thought that was pretty kewl thou

Kelsie Pritchard

6 Completed6 Reviews

Great hike that's easy but scenery is beautiful! Very remote as well! Loved ir

chasity perry``

5 Completed5 Reviews

This trail is in the small town of minden where I live so we go there often. Very easy nice day hike near a nice lake. The campgrounds are great. Definitely worth visiting.

Stacy Rankin

1 Completed1 Reviews

Very quiet moderate hike. Flat. Nice and dry this time of year. Trailhead is located when you turn left towards the campgrounds, on the left side of the road.

Pam Rowe

20 Completed18 Reviews

I enjoyed this trail. Part of it feels like you are in a deep forest, and part of it you are walking by the lake. I didn't find the proper trailhead until I was leaving the park though. I followed the GPS on this site and I didn't see a trailhead. A little bit up from where it said it was, I found a trail that was unmarked leading into the woods. Fortunately, I was still able to do the entire trail from there. When entering the park, after you pass the signs that state a permit is required beyond this point, the trailhead is up a little on the left.

Eric White

3 Completed2 Reviews

This is an excellently maintained trail. Next trip to minden I will be back. Oh ya, bring $3 cash it is a national park.

Ronald Owens

2 Completed2 Reviews

We hiked the entire trail starting at the trailhead. Overall, the trail was well maintained and marked without a lot of roots or marshy areas. It would be good for hiking, cycling, or trail running. Saw a few hikers and one group of cyclers, not too much for a Saturday. I would recommend that anyone in the area check this trail out.

Jeff Norris

3 Completed3 Reviews

05/04/14 Instead of parking at the trailhead, I parked at the boat launch and hiked around, which is a 5.1 mile loop. Starting at the trailhead adds another 2 miles, but I like just doing loops. Well maintained and shaded the entire way. I didn't see anyone else while on the trail, which ends (at the boat ramp) with a walk across the levy that separates Upper and Lower Caney Lake.

There are two loops shown on the map for mountain biking, but I am going to include those loops on my next hike there, and my guestimate is that it might add another mile.

Halley Rachal

6 Completed5 Reviews

I really enjoyed this trail! Great for biking or hiking. Part of the trail goes along side the lake and it's a nice view. For biking I would consider it as mostly easy with a few intermediate areas. There are many roots, but I've seen worse. There are a few nice hills, a few bridge crossings. There were at least 3 spots that were difficult to cross because there was standing water and no bridge. You can maneuver around it but you have to go through thick brush sometimes. Keep that in mind if it has rained a lot recently. The trail was well marked and clean. Directions to Caney Lakes Recreation Area:
Take I-20 East to Minden then go North through town. Turn right (east) at on Broadway which is the main blvd. Go a few blocks and look for the small brown Caney Lake sign directing you to turn left. That should be Lewisville Rd.(159). Follow that road north roughly 4.5 miles, then turn west onto Parish Road 111, drive 2.3 miles, enter the park on left. I parked at the boat launch.