Burnt Meadow Mountain Trail

#6 of 382 trails in White Mountain National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Burnt Meadow Mountain Trail is a 2.4 mile out and back trail located near Brownfield, Maine that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

The Blue trail starts at the very right most point of the grassy parking area directly off the road. The trail head sign is just inside the tree line - about 100 ft from the road. The Blue Trail named "North Peak Trail" will split and you have a choice of the "Blue Trail" or the "Yellow Trail (Twin Brooks Trail)". The Blue Trail is the most direct to the summit and most agressive climbing through woods trails and up rock faces. The Yellow Trail is longer and more gradual assecent to the top. Going up the Blue Trail and down the Yellow Trail will give you an easier decent. The Blue Trail can take about 3 hours round trip while going up the Blue Trail and down the Yellow Trail can take about 4 hours. The Yellow Trail has a nice spring and brooks along the trail.

This trail is not easy to find. It is 487 Spring Rd (Me. Rt. 160) Brownfield, Maine 04010 but using GPS coordinate is probably the best way to locate the trailhead.

The parking area is not marked where you exit the road!

Derek G

4 Completed 4 Reviews

Great views at the top. Wanted a challenge for my 4 year-old and me, so we went the blue trail both up and down. She loved that she had to use both hands and feet in a few spots going up, but I had to hold her hand in a few spots coming down.

9 Completed 3 Reviews

Great hike, I took blue up and yellow down. I hiked the mountain with my dog and found a few spots a bit rugged for her, but she made it. The views were great and the blueberries were delicious.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Great trail, fantastic views. Just a word of caution this year. Ran into a yellow jackets nest halfway between the stone mt spur and burnt meadow trails on the the twin brook trail. Dog and girlfriend got stung right on the trail. Hike this all the time and love it. 30lb beagle mix can handle the rocks just fine. Just keep moving when on the yellow trail!

18 Completed 1 Reviews

One of my all-time favorite hikes! It's good for all ages and is the perfect day hike if you're looking for something that is short but somewhat challenging!

5 Completed 4 Reviews

Great hike. If there was a moderate plus category, this would qualify. We were on Douglas two days before and that was rated moderate. Not so much compared to this trail. Definitely blue up and yellow down, thanks to other reviewers! For those who might like a less intense adventure, yellow up, yellow down!!!!!

6 Completed 5 Reviews

Love Burnt Meadow. Yellow is tough at the top for my 4 legged friend but he can make it with a push. Amazing overlooks. There is another new trail that will take you to the lower but no less beautiful peak to the south.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Good trail. Rocky in many places. Recommend going up the blue and down the yellow trail. Some of the yellow blazes were tough to see on the rocks.

7 Completed 4 Reviews

This is a great hike! I am new to hiking and found this to be a great challenge. I recorded the hike and my app said it was 3.84 miles..a bit longer than the information page mentioned. My sister and I went up the blue trail and down the yellow which I would suggest since blue would be rather difficult to go down. Had a great time!

8 Completed 5 Reviews

Steep climb with some good rock scrambling toward the top. A bit of a strain for my first hike in 4 or 5 years but definitely worth it. Nice views at several points. We went up and down on the Blue trail and we had a watch our footing in a few places coming down. The Blue trail is really well marked and well worn, we had no trouble staying on it. The summit has a lot of room to lounge for a while and great views pretty much 360 degrees.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Harder than I expected it to be but it was fun. Kids enjoyed the challenge.

Support