Burnt Meadow Mountain Trail

#5 of 385 trails in White Mountain National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Burnt Meadow Mountain Trail is a 2.4 mile out and back trail located near Brownfield, Maine that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Amy Harrison Barter (197)

4 Completed3 Reviews

Good hike! My 3month old puppy enjoyed himself!

Dennis S. (54)

Excellent hike with varied terrain and lots of secluded views. Completed this hike with my 6 year old daughter via the North Peak trail (ascent and descent). I wouldn't recommend this route for most her age. My daughter's a bit more experienced than most her age. With the different trails and varied terrain you can repeat this hike many times and not see the same things.

Nicholas Orgo (37)

Steve Scontras (661)

6 Completed7 Reviews

Tess...too bad, it actually has a decent sized parking lot (8-10 cars) & is pretty clearly marked & even has a "trail parking ahead" sign on both sides of Rt 160....which is Spring St...punch in 459 Spring St, and that will be right across the road from the parking lot. I hope you give it another shot, its a really nice hike.

Took blue trail up, took me about an hour & 15 minutes since i took breaks. I would say difficulty was moderate+, but thats just my opinion. Near the summit you do a rocky scramble, but not too tough. I found the ascent to be a good workout, with several nice views from the "false summits". Summit is large & mostly open. The Twin Brook Trail "yellow trail" down is long, windy through woods and nothing really special.... But shortly after you start it you get a great view of the White Mountains. You could also just go back down the blue trail, might be a bit steep but I had 2 parties pass me going down while I was going up.

About 1/2 way down the yellow trail is the fork option to go to Stone Mountain ( did not due to time of day). Overall a very nice hike, very good challenge for beginners.

Tess Cullaz (46)

1 Completed1 Reviews

This trail sounded really great from what I read about it. I wouldn't know if the reviews are true or not because I wasn't able to find the trail head. I followed my GPS which was said to be leading me to Burnt Meadow Mountain but I came across a dirt road with a No Trespassing sign on a gate blocking the road and my GPS was telling me to continue on that blocked road. Maybe I had a bad address but I was not able to find this trail. All I found was a house on private property, definitely not the hike I was looking for! I feel bad giving this one star so just know I'm not rating the hike itself, but I want other people to know that this is difficult to find so be forewarned!

Sarahfina Wipf (56)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great hike, although much more challenging than the description would lead you to believe.
Went with a group of kids and they all found it difficult. We took the blue trail first, which in actuality takes you up to the top of "north peak" which is only halfway through the blue trail. We then turned around at that summit and came back the same way instead of continuing on to the end of the blue trail and on to the yellow one. The whole hike took over three hours and most of the party was exhausted by that point.
Overall very challenging and should not be done without snacks and breaks if you are bringing kids! Much of the trail is almost straight up rock clusters, which the kids had to be carried up.

Jim Cook (342)

55 Completed2 Reviews

A nice afternoon hike. Enjoyed the open areas. One hike I would do again!

Donna Murphy (168)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great hike moderately steep in some areas.. Would definitely do this one again

Sean Berry (351)

16 Completed8 Reviews

awesome hike up the blue trail with views. the yellow trail on the way down not as awesome. It took like 4 hours with my two young kids. Blue trail seemed faster.

Gavin Danaher (83)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great hike. I believe it's longer than 2.4 miles. Hiked w three young kids, up blue, down yellow, almost four hours.