Cadillac Mountain South Ridge Trail

#2 of 126 trails in Acadia National Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Cadillac Mountain is the tallest mountain on the eastern seaboard of the United States. The true summit is to the left where the South Ridge Trail opens onto the gravel access road. Look for 2 survey benchmarks established by the US Coast and Geodetic Survey in 1856 and the 1954.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Erika Fellinger (93)

3 Completed1 Reviews

Nice sloped hiking. Did it with my 9, 7, and 4 yo and they only complained the last half mile. :)
Longer distance is trade off for easier slope and you can walk straight from Blackwoods.

Ed Maierhofer (38)

1 Completed1 Reviews

It was 5/5 stars

Keith Berg (434)

21 Completed14 Reviews

I hiked this in the morning to watch the sun rise on my vacation to Acadia. 99% of people drive to the top to watch the sun rise but anyone willing to get up and put the work in to hike while it is still dark this is a very rewarding trek. Mountian marker is not a summit stick like on other hills so you need to search a little bit to find the peak marker to the south of the parking lot. Short hike from the top gets you to Dorr Mountain peak as well.

Valerie Lacroix (39)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Beautiful hike with 360 degrees views all the way to the top! By far best hike I've ever been on!

Matthew Palmer (294)

10 Completed9 Reviews

This was maybe the best hike I ever did and I've been hiking for 14 years. We went on a hot day in August but the view was absolutely incredible and the store at the top is nice since it's air conditioned. You can drive to the top of Cadillac Mountain but I highlt recommend hiking.

Mike Miller (780)

31 Completed12 Reviews

Lynn Wright (111)

6 Completed5 Reviews

A really nice way to see the top of Cadilac Mtn without seeing the crowds. The trail was having some maintenance work done on the lower section last summer so there were a few spots it was muddy but the views once you come out of the woods are spectacular!

Ryan Kulina (947)

39 Completed29 Reviews

clay tracy (1136)

102 Completed8 Reviews

I went in the fall and the views were incredible. I went back the next morning after the hike and drove to the top to watch the sunrise. Absolutely awesome! I was actually surprised at the amount of people up there at 5 a.m.. Anyway, you will enjoy the hike or the drive to the top for the sunrise.

Saptrik B (3211)

50 Completed22 Reviews

We hit this with lost of rain this week and although the views were not there do to all the fog we did see lots of waterfalls and some slick boulders to cross over !

Support