Pleasant Mountain

Denmark, ME

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Pleasant Mountain is a 4.9 mile out and back trail located near Denmark, Maine. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

We parked in the small dirt parking lot on Denmark Road and hiked the Southwest Ridge Trail. Early July, 2014. A moderate trail. Grassy in a lot of places, but we (the 6 of us) did not get any ticks. Lots of ledge so this could be confusing on a rainy/foggy day. It was about 80, dry, and breezy. It is an up/down/up hike meaning a false summit. From the watertower at the peak we phoned my dad to pick us up at the bottom of the Bald Peak Trail which will brings you to the east side of the mountain. Realize that it is almost a one mile northerly walk (up and down) along the ridge before it goes down for good. All is very well marked. When it gets serious about going down, the Bald Peak Trail is very steep and probably slippery if it has rained recently. The Needles cave is definitetly worthwhile and only a hundred yards of the trail. Traverse, meaning go perpendicular to the BPT, as I started goingf downhill, which go me briefly lost before I saw the cave above me. The cave looks like a big shoebox with a waterfall in it. The end of the trail on the shawnee peak road is not far after that. I think it was 5 miles total. A good one for my 10, 12 yr old and my wife.

6 Completed 5 Reviews

We parked in the small dirt parking lot on Denmark Road and hiked the Southwest Ridge Trail. It is a relentless uphill, during which I thought the entire time it's more like unPleasant Mtn! The mosquitoes had a field day with us and the only relief was in the clearings on the way up. Never the less it was a GREAT hike. We stopped at the fire tower and watched as the rain made it's way across the valleys then hiked back bown. We'll try the other trails in a few weeks. Maybe the mosquitoes will have let off some??
I've attached the map link for the Loon Echo Land Trust. Very handy.

5 Completed 7 Reviews

very physical hike. beginning of trail has a very steep incline. amazing views all the way to the top

5 Completed 7 Reviews

Beginning of hike has a very steep incline, great work out. Amazing views the entire hike

8 Completed 4 Reviews

We took the Bald Peak trail up to the main summit and back. I wouldn't necessarily call this an easy hike. It's a relentlessly uphill, steep and slippery trail (with fallen leaves and damp rocks). My group enjoys the challenge, but I wouldn't recommend this trail for going down. If you take this trail, Eye of the Needle is worth seeing. It's just a quick side path. Views from both the Bald Peak Summit and the Main Summit are stunning. It's also worth pointing out that the main summit says it has an elevation of 2,006 feet whereas here it's listed as much less.

5 Completed 1 Reviews

I went on hiking trial on the ledge trial it was fun hiking on that trial with my friend Nicole it took 4 hour 3.6 mile plus 1.8

Icon_8823d4f80a8c35a61cb6cd20f0703543

2 Completed 1 Reviews

Love it! The Pleasant Mountain ridge is a great place for a day hike. It has several trails that make their way up to the summit with a connecting trail across the ridge. This allows for some amazing views from the top. You can see Mt. Washington, the White Mountains, Sunday River and all the way to Portland, ME. An easier hike makes this something you can do with novice hikers, pets, families, etc. If you are around the White Mountain area this is definitely worth a visit!

11 Completed 5 Reviews

Southwest ridge trail to fire tower and descend via firewardens trail. The SW trail was hot and dry on this day but a nice breeze was available due to the open air of the ledges. Good views of the terrain to the SW almost all the way up. This is definetely the nicest, most scenic of the Pleasant Mtn. trails. It was good to come down the wardens trail as it offered some shade and nice cool/cold streams tro splash around in. Amanda was correct about the ticks, I picked off about thirty of the nasty bloodsuckers despite Columbia bug repellent pants and liberal applications of DEET.

2 Completed 2 Reviews

All I can say was trail head was a little difficult to find, I think I took South Ridge trail but I don't quite remember. The trail head I took was off the side of a road that Sunday River is on, the parking area was on the left and the trail head on the right side of the road. WARNING: TICKS! I was covered in ticks most of the way up and down and I stayed on the trail, maybe it was the time of year. Anyway, the views were really great all the way up, the summit/peak I hiked to was worth the trip. I found it to be a little strenuous but not too bad. I'll post some pics when I have time.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Up Bald Peak, Sues Way, North Ridge, Bald Peak, Fire Warden's to Main Summit. Down Southwest/McKay's Pasture. Great day out but WICKED COLD!

Support