Pleasant Mountain

Denmark, ME

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Pleasant Mountain is a 4.9 mile out and back trail located near Denmark, Maine. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Rachael Stein (149)

5 Completed4 Reviews

Oh my gosh. This was HARD! Of course, I'm used to the Eastern Shore of Maryland (i.e., flat), but I only made it about halfway up... I think we were on the Bald Peak trail? Whichever one has blue blazes. It was beautiful but NOT easy.

Linda Hallinan (124)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Awesome afternoon on the Southwest Ridge Trail. Found the trailhead and parking lot using the navigation from AllTrails app really easily- parking lot on the right across from a few mailboxes. Trail well marked and easy to find. Yellow blazes and rock cairns were super clear and totally appreciated - would have been lost for sure without them. With a late start, I thought I'd only have time for the southwest peak, but pushed on when passers-by spoke of blueberries and a not too far off summit. Overall, yes, needed to take a breath every now and again but the views are totally worth the effort. Would definitely do again and explore other routes down/up + needle. Mosquitos not awful in early August but I was prepared with some Deet; haven't discovered any ticks yet.

Tim Norwood (284)

29 Completed6 Reviews

good little hike, more strenuous than i was expecting but only 30 minutes ascending big bald peak trail. views weren't that great but definitely worth it for the blueberries!

Jim Bailey (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

We parked in the small dirt parking lot on Denmark Road and hiked the Southwest Ridge Trail. Early July, 2014. A moderate trail. Grassy in a lot of places, but we (the 6 of us) did not get any ticks. Lots of ledge so this could be confusing on a rainy/foggy day. It was about 80, dry, and breezy. It is an up/down/up hike meaning a false summit. From the watertower at the peak we phoned my dad to pick us up at the bottom of the Bald Peak Trail which will brings you to the east side of the mountain. Realize that it is almost a one mile northerly walk (up and down) along the ridge before it goes down for good. All is very well marked. When it gets serious about going down, the Bald Peak Trail is very steep and probably slippery if it has rained recently. The Needles cave is definitetly worthwhile and only a hundred yards of the trail. Traverse, meaning go perpendicular to the BPT, as I started goingf downhill, which go me briefly lost before I saw the cave above me. The cave looks like a big shoebox with a waterfall in it. The end of the trail on the shawnee peak road is not far after that. I think it was 5 miles total. A good one for my 10, 12 yr old and my wife.

Lynn Wright (111)

6 Completed5 Reviews

We parked in the small dirt parking lot on Denmark Road and hiked the Southwest Ridge Trail. It is a relentless uphill, during which I thought the entire time it's more like unPleasant Mtn! The mosquitoes had a field day with us and the only relief was in the clearings on the way up. Never the less it was a GREAT hike. We stopped at the fire tower and watched as the rain made it's way across the valleys then hiked back bown. We'll try the other trails in a few weeks. Maybe the mosquitoes will have let off some??
I've attached the map link for the Loon Echo Land Trust. Very handy.

April Rumery (235)

5 Completed7 Reviews

very physical hike. beginning of trail has a very steep incline. amazing views all the way to the top

April Rumery (235)

5 Completed7 Reviews

Beginning of hike has a very steep incline, great work out. Amazing views the entire hike

Jess Koch (142)

12 Completed6 Reviews

We took the Bald Peak trail up to the main summit and back. I wouldn't necessarily call this an easy hike. It's a relentlessly uphill, steep and slippery trail (with fallen leaves and damp rocks). My group enjoys the challenge, but I wouldn't recommend this trail for going down. If you take this trail, Eye of the Needle is worth seeing. It's just a quick side path. Views from both the Bald Peak Summit and the Main Summit are stunning.

Zoey Mattia (140)

5 Completed1 Reviews

I went on hiking trial on the ledge trial it was fun hiking on that trial with my friend Nicole it took 4 hour 3.6 mile plus 1.8

Josh Harrington (67)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Love it! The Pleasant Mountain ridge is a great place for a day hike. It has several trails that make their way up to the summit with a connecting trail across the ridge. This allows for some amazing views from the top. You can see Mt. Washington, the White Mountains, Sunday River and all the way to Portland, ME. An easier hike makes this something you can do with novice hikers, pets, families, etc. If you are around the White Mountain area this is definitely worth a visit!

Support