Precipice Trail

#2 of 126 trails in Acadia National Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

The Precipice Trail is a difficult and very steep out and back (or loop) 1.8 mile RT trail using iron rungs and ladders on exposed cliffs providing spectacular views of Acadia National Park.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Carter Light (44)

7 Completed1 Reviews

A great hike that is extremely rewarding once you hit the top!

Dan Boudreau (260)

10 Completed10 Reviews

Not as hard as people said but nerve racking if you fear heights. Lots of hands on climbing using ladders built into the cliff face. I did with my 11 year old daughter and she loves it!

Nicholas Pouliot (67)

Molly Demoss (116)

C R (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Michelle Rozich (409)

6 Completed1 Reviews

My favorite hike at Acadia!

Kerry Fields (97)

15 Completed1 Reviews

One of the most exciting hikes I have been on. No special equipment needed just be ready for a rigourous and mentally trying trail.

Robert Starkey (168)

17 Completed7 Reviews

Short but intense hike. Went up a year ago with my 18 yr old son and was amazed by the people we saw going up this trail. What I mean is unprepared hikers. This is not a hike for sandals and footwear of that sort. This is a hike for more experienced hikers. And a very good one!

Allison Palmer (72)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Please note: Precipice Trail is open from October through December due to habitat restoration, specifically for the Peregrine Falcons (only 3 nests exists on the island, one of which is along the Precipice Trail). Our group was unaware of this trail closure (a park policy since 1991, apparently). However, we were encouraged that Park priorities are to preserve animal habitats rather than guest recreation in this case.

Antonio Perez (207)