Tumbledown Mountain

Weld, ME

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Tumbledown Mountain is a 4.3 mile out and back trail located near Weld, Maine that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. No admission or parking fees.

There are two parking lots next to each trail head. Coming from Weld you will run into the Brook Trail parking lot on your left with the trail head on your right. About 1.2 miles down you will run into the parking lot for Loop Trail.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Great hike... A bit of challenge spotted throughout. Up loop and down loop was tough but glad I did it.

8 Completed 7 Reviews

Unbelievable hike! This is my all time favorite hike. So challenging (even if you are in decent shape) with the most rewarding views. We always park at the bottom of Brook Trail, and walk about 2 miles up the road to the Loop trail head. Its a very strenuous hike up - not great for dogs (although I have seen people do it) or young children. Loop trail is full of interesting 'landmarks'/obstacles and beautiful views. I don't think there is a boring moment in the whole trail. If you go in the Summer, you can take a dip in the lake at the top. The water is clean and refreshing. The foliage is beautiful in the Fall, too. Brook trail is easier and takes far less time to decent. All in all, takes us a majority of the day (including time at the top for relaxing).

9 Completed 3 Reviews

The most spectacular hike I've been on. In fact, it has inspired me to venture out weekly with my dog to see more of what Maine has to offer.

NOTE: I parked on Morgan's Road (off of Byron's road), hiked up Parker's Ridge and down Brook Trail...big mistake. Brook trail brought me to a different parking lot two miles away. I should have been more careful.

8 Completed 5 Reviews

Climbed in October of 2013. We went up the Loop trail and down the Brook trail. The Loop trail is definitely my favorite hike to date. It's quite technical and very steep but the views were outstanding and the experience was worth the effort.
We had this trail to ourselves as the difficulty dissuades the crowds. Not a good trail for kids or dogs. The top of the mountain features and alpine lake (which two of our companions plunged into on arrival despite that it had been snowing earlier that day). Going down on the Brook trail was steep in a couple of spots near the summit but overall very easy going, even a little boring getting down toward the bottom.

13 Completed 1 Reviews

Went up the Loop Trail, (not knowing that this is MUCH more challenging than the Brook Trail), with 50lb packs to stay overnight. Do not underestimate this trail. It was AWESOME, but we did need to remove packs to get them up the chimney, and it would be almost impossible to get your dog through if you were to take one. Not for young kids.

Icon_

27 Completed 6 Reviews

5/21/14 Went up brook trail to the pond, about 40 minutes. Took the parker ridge trail down, total time on the mountain was less than 3 hours. Pond is really cool and there were good views of the spring foliage, highly recommended.

David Dow

3 Completed 1 Reviews

Well marked hike to a interesting location - nothing but a large rock field at the top of Brook Trail as you approach the pond - pretty tough going for a moderate trail - just saying.

7 Completed 1 Reviews

Beautiful hike, as is almost anywhere in Maine. Only one problem, there were probably about 50 people out on the trail which really takes away from the hike for me personally. If you want some great Maine hikes, I suggest going much farther North, and East. In Maine, anything South and West of Waterville, is not really Maine anyhow, just too many people.

Icon_

2 Completed 1 Reviews

Awesome hike. We went up the Parker Ridge trail which took us to the pond at the top in about 2 hours. This trail had some steep spots (too steep for my dog--won't be bringing her up this one again--we had to help her up some of the steeper rock faces) and brought us up along a ridge that's higher than the pond, truly stunning views. We took the Brook trail down which was not as scenic as the Parker ridge trail but still beautiful and more manageable with my pup. It took 1-1.5 hours to get back down. Not sure exactly how long we sat at the top so I'm not sure about the times exactly. I would absolutely do this hike again, but probably without my dog or try a different trail.

4 Completed 2 Reviews

The view is worth the hike. We took the Brook Trail up and down as it was our first time on the mountain. We will be back to try the loop trail up. It is adequately rated at moderate. Challenging in places. The summit is my favorite of any hikes I've done to date. It's absolutely breathtaking.

Support