Tumbledown Mountain

Weld, ME

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Tumbledown Mountain is a 4.3 mile out and back trail located near Weld, Maine that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. No admission or parking fees.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Rob't H (276)

5 Completed5 Reviews

Ben Thomas (762)

14 Completed8 Reviews

Dan Morrissette (51)

8 Completed1 Reviews

Unbelievable trail! I have been living in Maine for 2 years and this is by far my favorite hike! The loop trail is tough but well worth it!

Julia Macauley (55)

6 Completed1 Reviews

Holly D. (279)

14 Completed12 Reviews

Joe Merrill (221)

4 Completed5 Reviews

A friend and I made this hike in preparation for the Presidential Traverse. We planned a big loop of about 9+ miles, taking in the summits of both Tumbledown and Little Jackson. We climbed up the loop trail, which is easily the most difficult trail here, with a steep climb at the end including a squeeze through Fat Man's Misery, a chimney near the top of the cliffs. Fortunately neither of us are fat men! After hitting the peak we traversed the ridge trail, stopped for a dip in Tumbledown Pond, and then continued on Pond Link Trail. This took us to Little Jackson, from where we ascended that peak. Then we descended Little Jackson and looped back to the parking lot.

There is a lot to like about this hike, but I can't give it five stars. My biggest complaint, the blazes were abysmal in some sections, and the two of us (who are far from novices) lost the trail on several occasions. Critically, we missed the cutback at the bottom of Little Jackson and ended up adding more than a mile to the hike in returning via the road. This made for a much longer day than we hoped for. There are some pretty easy hikes up to the pond, and it's really crowded up there on a nice day like we had. That said, once hit the Pond Loop trail on our way to Little Jackson, we never saw another soul until we reached the road. Which is too bad, because Little Jackson is a nice hike with good vistas, albeit poorly blazed in places as well.

Joe Merrill (221)

4 Completed5 Reviews

Ashley Reynolds (103)

6 Completed4 Reviews

Another great, short hike. I have hiked it several times with my dog. It is great for dogs who like water and get hot easily - there is a "lake" at the top and my dog loves to swim in it when we get there.

Cam genereux (66)

1 Completed4 Reviews

Me and a friend just climbed this mountain a couple days ago. We took the brook trail which was a very leisurely trail. We rucked with heavy packs for a nice workout and to camp. The only complaint I have about the hike is that I was pretty disgusted at the amount of trash I saw on the trail and around the lake. Me and my friend picked up some stuff that we could take down in our small trash bag. I think the accessibility of the mountain makes it a party spot for people as there were lots of broken bottles and chopped down trees surrounding the lake. Also hopefully families will clean up their messes in the future, I loved the scenery of tumbledown, not every mountain has a water source so beautiful on it like that and I will definitely return here again soon to experience it with others. I will be bringing some gloves and trash bags as well...

Cam genereux (66)