Tumbledown Mountain

Weld, ME
Share review on:

Thanks! How would you describe the trail and its activities?

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Tumbledown Mountain is a 4.3 mile out and back trail located near Weld, Maine that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. No admission or parking fees.

There are two parking lots next to each trail head. Coming from Weld you will run into the Brook Trail parking lot on your left with the trail head on your right. About 1.2 miles down you will run into the parking lot for Loop Trail.

David Dow

3 Completed 1 Reviews

Well marked hike to a interesting location - nothing but a large rock field at the top of Brook Trail as you approach the pond - pretty tough going for a moderate trail - just saying.

7 Completed 1 Reviews

Beautiful hike, as is almost anywhere in Maine. Only one problem, there were probably about 50 people out on the trail which really takes away from the hike for me personally. If you want some great Maine hikes, I suggest going much farther North, and East. In Maine, anything South and West of Waterville, is not really Maine anyhow, just too many people.

Icon_

2 Completed 1 Reviews

Awesome hike. We went up the Parker Ridge trail which took us to the pond at the top in about 2 hours. This trail had some steep spots (too steep for my dog--won't be bringing her up this one again--we had to help her up some of the steeper rock faces) and brought us up along a ridge that's higher than the pond, truly stunning views. We took the Brook trail down which was not as scenic as the Parker ridge trail but still beautiful and more manageable with my pup. It took 1-1.5 hours to get back down. Not sure exactly how long we sat at the top so I'm not sure about the times exactly. I would absolutely do this hike again, but probably without my dog or try a different trail.

4 Completed 2 Reviews

The view is worth the hike. We took the Brook Trail up and down as it was our first time on the mountain. We will be back to try the loop trail up. It is adequately rated at moderate. Challenging in places. The summit is my favorite of any hikes I've done to date. It's absolutely breathtaking.

Icon_

10 Completed 12 Reviews

Hiked this trail last weekend, Sept 16, it was a nice cool sunny day. Took the Loop trail up and returned down the Brook trail. Spent a little more than 4 hours on the mountain. The Loop trail is a nice hike up that will test you if your not in decent shape but it is worth the extra effort if you can do it. Very few people, some nice climbs over and through rocks before arriving at the summit. Then it's a relative easy walk down the Brook trail.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Constance Dziedzic

9 Completed 3 Reviews

Lovely!

Picture?width=50&height=50

10 Completed 1 Reviews

Hiked this yesterday, what a gorgeous day!

Picture?width=50&height=50

12 Completed 12 Reviews

Hiked with a friend from church.

Icon_c6fddf0456e5fd7ddc464bfdee7579fc

16 Completed 10 Reviews

Awesome day hike! We took Loop Trail up to beat the crowds and it was definitely worth it. Loop trail is pretty strenuous with a steeper grade and much more boulder climbing then the much easier (and crowd friendly) Brook Trail. It was a great day for a hike and a good workout with great views at the summit! Second time hiking this mountain and it wont be the last.

I will say that once we were at the summit, you could see the hordes of kids and people piling into Crater Lake from Brook Trail. Luckily if you take the harder Loop Trail you can avoid almost everyone.

Support