Tumbledown Mountain Trail

MODERATE
#1 of 1 trails in Four Ponds Public Reserved Land
Tumbledown Mountain Trail is a 5.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Weld, ME that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

dogs on leash birding hiking nature trips walking forest lake views wild flowers
Hide Map

There are two parking lots next to each trail head. Coming from Weld you will run into the Brook Trail parking lot on your left with the trail head on your right. About 1.2 miles down you will run into the parking lot for Loop Trail.

Olivia T.

Beautiful hike! I had a dog with me so we did the brook trailhead. Plenty of brooks and pond at the top for her to cool off in! Continued on to the peak then turned around and took brook back down. Challenging for new hikers but not hard! Very fun and enjoyable, incredible views the whole time. WARNING: BRING BUG SPRAY!! My one complaint :/ the bugs were almost unbearable head in back down.

Jeanie Cote

7 Completed9 Reviews

Hiked the loop trail today. Great trail, well marked, don't attempt if you are not In shape. The chimney is so neat and the views are incredible.

Heather Cassidy

2 Completed1 Reviews

I hiked this with my boyfriend today, it was strenuous and that's exactly what we were liking for. We had to tool around on the ice in the chimney, but we made through and I even went swimming. The water was nice and refreshing, but too cold for my boyfriend to set foot in.

Mountaineer Newbie

1 Completed1 Reviews

I hiked Tumbledown's Loop Trail on April 29th and the Chimney was still iced over. There was only one metal ring that was breaking through the ice at that point.

For being an extreme beginner, the trail was strenuous but not impossible.

Worth it, and can't wait to get up there again!

Tianna Leigh

13 Completed2 Reviews

We hike Tumbledown every year. We took Brook Trail on 4/20/16 - great hiking! However, other hikers told us Loop Trail is iced over and they had to turn around. The Chimney is blocked by iced.

Natalee Maurais

Deanna Emery

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great hike with beautiful views at the top! Well worth it! We chose the Brook trail and it was a great choice especially for having a dog!

Brittany White

8 Completed1 Reviews

Jayne McCarthy

1 Completed1 Reviews

Harder than I thought. But loved it!!! Two random dogs guided our way up and down. Check out our YouTube video. http://youtu.be/a4R39ippfjw

brian dietzel

3 Completed4 Reviews

great hike, good views. Enjoyed the lake at the top. Happy there was still trees to give some cover throughout the night. Fantastic.

brian dietzel

3 Completed4 Reviews

Tabitha Munson

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great trails. Absolutely zero reception, so I didn't have access to my map anymore, but I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Meghan Joyce

8 Completed2 Reviews

Great hike out and back on the brook trail for our first time on Tumbledown. Would love to come back in warmer weather and swim in the pond like the one brave soul who was out there today.

Megan Lofthus

5 Completed1 Reviews

Andrea Libby

Marc Maheu

10 Completed13 Reviews

I did the Loop trail up and Brook down. Was with three ladies, two of the three had no issue climbing while the other, an inexperienced lady in moderate shape, needed a few extra breaks. It does get steep just below Fat Mans misery but with a little determination it is doable - suggestion: take your time unless you are an active hiker. The Tarn is a wonderful respite before returning down the Brook trail.

Be aware - both the tarn and the Brook trail will have several people around. If you are looking for solitude find a different place to hike.

Patti Trygg

4 Completed2 Reviews

Awesome! Scary! Challenging! The Loop Trail is wicked awesome! Park at the Brook Trailhead lot, walk back to the Loop Trailhead, hike up the Loop, go left to the peak, head back down to the Tumbledown Ridge trail, stop at the pond! It's gorgeous! Go for a swim if you dare! Take the Brook trail down! Lots of scrambling & climbing over boulders! Fat Man's Misery! Well, I'm short, 5'1"; you almost need to be a trapeze expert......! Took about 5 hours! I loved it!

Ron Cloutier

1 Completed1 Reviews

Very fun and challenging the loop trail is must for the more adventurous