Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Billy Goat Trail is comprised of three sections of trail locatednear Potomac, MD featuring beautiful wild flowers and scenic river views. The trail is used for hiking, mountain biking, trail running and walking. It is demarcated by blue blazes and is accessible year-round. Protected by NPS and TNC.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

MC Hikers (102)

25 Completed3 Reviews

An excellent 4 mile moderate to strenuous hike with a few interesting rock scrambles and nice views of the Potomac. The Visitor Center warns hikers about one of the rock scrambles which is definitely a bit challenging but manageable if you take your time. We completed the hike in 2 hrs. After completing the Billy Goat trail, it is worth taking a quick 10-15 minute side trip to the Falls (you will see signs a few minutes from the Visitor Center). We went on a Friday morning and it was moderately crowded. We heard there was a one hour wait the next day so we suggest taking this hike on a weekday or early in the morning.

Amy A, (340)

23 Completed7 Reviews

One of my favorite trails to date, but heavily used. Go very early if possible. Have hiked the rocky part in both directions and in all seasons. Surprisingly pleasant in winter. Just wear lots of layers. In summer, bring PLENTY OF WATER since the rocks aren't shaded. I always bring a snack too, and now use my Camelback so my hands remain free to scramble those rocks to my heart's content. A few spots are tricky, but you can adjust the difficulty by which routes you take (some cliff edges, and almost completely vertical crevices are tucked away here and there for a challenge). Lots of spots to hang out and take in the view. One side note: if you're going from the rocky trail back toward the canal path (or vice versa) via the woods, be careful in the summer. I ran into Stinging Nettle. Ouch.

Raelynn Mayberry (78)

2 Completed1 Reviews

The view was beautiful! On the hike back we did have a run in with a rattle snake so watch where you step!!

David Georg (72)

4 Completed1 Reviews

Fun and convenient to get to. Go on a weekday if you can, when I went there was a long line to get across the river. I was standing there forever.

Katrina Gagliano (82)

2 Completed2 Reviews

A good, moderate hike for those who want something more challenging than the trail A (that's mostly a walking trail ), but not as difficult as something like Old Rag. I've hiked this trail multiple times now and I love it! A good way to get sweaty and do a little rock scrambling to some wonderful views.

Alexia Prochnicki (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

I have been hiking the BGT since I was a little girl.... it still takes my breath away, especially in the Spring and Fall. Pluses: stunning views of the Potomac River, good wildlife especially my favorite great blue herons, some technically challenging parts but mostly up and down rocks with plenty of opportunity for rest, well marked, many hikers so you won't get lost. Minuses: no dogs : (, many hikers.

Neal Gallagher (245)

5 Completed2 Reviews

Moderate scrambles, great views of the Potomac.

Daphne Gassett (311)

9 Completed3 Reviews

Excellent trail & challenge! The earlier you go, the better.

Roberto Ricaurte (72)

1 Completed1 Reviews

I took my dog there for the first time and I took her on trail A which dogs aren't allowed to go on but my PitBull puppy(4monthsOld) did it like a champ she climbed up the side of the mountain and jumped over rocks I know she had a blast and will be doing it again with her

Deborah Barber (133)

6 Completed5 Reviews

One of my very favorite spots, I'm lucky to have had the chance to go there many, many times. Billy Goat trail section A (the most chellenging) is on Bear island, which is co-owned by the National Park Service and The Nature Conservancy (where I work). Please note that the beginning (north end) of Section A was re-routed a few years ago to enhance views and visitor safety. This end is actually more difficult now (so people know what they're getting into sooner). TNC has developed an audio tour and map that you can take with you on the trail to better understand what you are seeing--check it out! (see link)

Support