Hashawha Loop, Hashawha Environmental Appreciation Area

Westminster, MD
Share review on:

Thanks! How would you describe the trail and its activities?

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Hashawha Loop, Hashawha Environmental Appreciation Area is a 4.5 mile loop trail located near Westminster, Maryland and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

7 Completed 2 Reviews

Great place for solo or family hiking. Has a little bit of it all. From fire trails to some nice single track. There are lots of trails that connect to Hashawa trails. You can hike all the way to the Union Mills Homestead from the trails at Hashawa. :)

12 Completed 10 Reviews

Easy hike for my daughter and I. A bit slack on some of the markings when you get further out on the trail but nothing that leads you too far off course.

Icon_

6 Completed 1 Reviews

Get back to nature! Following the white triangles (Vista Trail) will bring you up a hill to discover--seemingly in the middle of nowhere-- a bird sanctuary that cares for wounded raptors! There you will meet a trio of owls, a pair of red-winged hawks, a something or another vulture, and a bald eagle named Cleopatra (info I learned from a nearby Geo-cache)! Definitely bring your camera! The green triangles lead you along another cool trail-- there's an old log cabin and, further along, a could of green metal bridges that lead to nice picnic tables! The third trail is denoted by yellow triangles & we can't wait to return so we can explore it. You should too-- I highly recommend!!

3 Completed 3 Reviews

Absolutely one of my favorite trails...especially when taking kids. Fall of 2010 and Summer of 2011 were the two times we have been so far. The first time we just did the loop right around the nature center that ends near the bird cages and back to the parking lot. The 2nd time we did the larger loop which included the vista trail that brings you back around near lake Hashawa. This place has beautiful scenery, a nature center that is really neat to check out, and I've never seen it crowded or even busy. I'm always amazed the place is 100% free...its that nice.

Support