Savage Park Trails

EASY
#1 of 2 trails in Savage Park
Savage Park Trails is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Jessup, MD that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

dogs on leash hiking mountain biking trail running walking river wildlife
Hide Map

Clayton Lewis

1 Completed1 Reviews

A nice quiet treat in the Savage area. Trails are well marked. Trails along the rivers are pretty nice. Relatively easy walking.

Lucy G.

The Red trail is nice, it runs along the Middle Patuxent River, only one semi-steep hill. Easy access for the dogs to run in & take a quick dip. The GreenBlue trail is relatively flat, no hills (markers start green, then at a trail switch, can take the GreenBlue trail back out).

Kpana Will

3 Completed1 Reviews

Went with my 11 yr old daughter for what I thought would be an easy ride, but after getting more into the ride, it turned out to anything but. At times we were on flat terrain. For hers and my skill level, it turned out to be more moderate than easy. The weather was iffy when we started but after getting into it we stopped paying attention to the rain / snow clouds in APRIL.
At the end of the beautiful hour and half ride in which we allowed ourselves to get lost before finding our way out without using my gps, I had an eager participant for future rides.

Justin Liciaga

1 Completed1 Reviews

Went on a 6 mile ruck through the trails. Quiet area, nothing challenging, but good for a quick workout and a trail that's easy to follow.

Breanna Robinson

1 Completed1 Reviews

good trials. some incline. wwe walked down to the river and our pup played in Water. quiet and clean.

Eugene Plum

5 Completed6 Reviews

David Hill

Nice trail. Well marked.

Brian Gundersdorf

1 Completed1 Reviews

For a nice little mountain bike loop (no challenging hills), enter on the red trail and take the first left on to green. After that, go right at every fork, until you return to red. Repeat.

Joshua Sizemore

7 Completed7 Reviews

Well marked and well groomed. Not too busy. Pretty in the woods and along the river. I did Red, Green, and Blue all very nice. Red has some areas that are rocky and footy but it goes to the river.

Brian Bender

4 Completed3 Reviews

Hiked the Green Trail, which is well maintained and features a few good spots alongside the river. Part of the trail was closed due to safety concerns, but overall it's a steady trail with few hills or difficult spots.

James Newton

This was a nice trail.

Amber F.

John Jordan

3 Completed2 Reviews

This is a network of loops that I've hiked numerous times (it's near home). It's a nice mix of forest and river-side hiking. The trails are well maintained and marked, though I think the overlapping the green and blue trails for multiple loops makes it more confusing than necessary. There is a parking lot, trash, toilet, and info board facilities at the trail head on Vollmerhausen Rd.

This trail is used mostly by dog walkers (residential neighborhoods are nearby), hikers, and trail runners. There are few mountain bikers. I like to start by taking the west side of the Red trail where you see the river on both sides as you follow the ridge line down to the river.

I know this as Wincopin Trails which I like better than the Savage Mill/Savage Park trails on the east side of the river.

Kristen Golden

15 Completed4 Reviews

A nice leisurely hike. I was a little doubtful driving in through a neighborhood, but once we got on the trail it was nice and peaceful. I completed the hike with my bosses' two little rat terriers, and they had a great time, so it's definitely small dog friendly.

k b.

Ok but nothing special

Brian Hallen

28 Completed16 Reviews

Great hike and nice views of the rivers

Douglas Ramsey

0 Completed2 Reviews

one of the best marked trails I have ever done. very relaxing with decent amounts of altitude changes.

Mike Nickel

1 Completed1 Reviews

I did the green trail in an hour, I enjoyed it and plan to go back to try the others.

Caleb Moose

6 Completed3 Reviews

I really like this trail for a couple of reasons. It's clean, well-marked, has nice scenery, and offers different hiking options. I just did a quick, mid-week, out-and-back because I ran out of daylight. It's a great place for a leisurely stroll through the woods.

Samuel Rotenstreich

6 Completed6 Reviews

A typical metro Washington hike, you hike next to a river, somewhat hilly, some rocks and some roots. It's a great afternoon hike.