Savage Park Trails

#1 of 2 trails in Savage Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Savage Park Trails is a 8.2 mile out and back trail located near Jessup, Maryland that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

John Jordan (129)

3 Completed2 Reviews

This is a network of loops that I've hiked numerous times (it's near home). It's a nice mix of forest and river-side hiking. The trails are well maintained and marked, though I think the overlapping the green and blue trails for multiple loops makes it more confusing than necessary. There is a parking lot, trash, toilet, and info board facilities at the trail head on Vollmerhausen Rd.

This trail is used mostly by dog walkers (residential neighborhoods are nearby), hikers, and trail runners. There are few mountain bikers. I like to start by taking the west side of the Red trail where you see the river on both sides as you follow the ridge line down to the river.

I know this as Wincopin Trails which I like better than the Savage Mill/Savage Park trails on the east side of the river.

Kristen Golden (636)

13 Completed4 Reviews

A nice leisurely hike. I was a little doubtful driving in through a neighborhood, but once we got on the trail it was nice and peaceful. I completed the hike with my bosses' two little rat terriers, and they had a great time, so it's definitely small dog friendly.

k b. (322)

Ok but nothing special

Brian Hallen (1209)

21 Completed12 Reviews

Great hike and nice views of the rivers

Douglas Ramsey (113)

0 Completed2 Reviews

one of the best marked trails I have ever done. very relaxing with decent amounts of altitude changes.

Mike Nickel (81)

1 Completed1 Reviews

I did the green trail in an hour, I enjoyed it and plan to go back to try the others.

Caleb Moose (482)

6 Completed3 Reviews

I really like this trail for a couple of reasons. It's clean, well-marked, has nice scenery, and offers different hiking options. I just did a quick, mid-week, out-and-back because I ran out of daylight. It's a great place for a leisurely stroll through the woods.

Samuel Rotenstreich (344)

6 Completed6 Reviews

A typical metro Washington hike, you hike next to a river, somewhat hilly, some rocks and some roots. It's a great afternoon hike.

Tyler Harding (11319)

55 Completed61 Reviews

Decent area for a flat aftnoon hike. Stick to the river for the most interesting paths. We could see some large trout in the water on the west side trails in early September.

Support