Soldiers Delight Natural Environmental Area Trails

#1 of 1 trails in soldiers delight natural environmental area

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Soldiers Delight Natural Environmental Area Trails is a 6.3 mile loop trail located near Owings Mills, Maryland and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

S Adamson (83)

18 Completed3 Reviews

I have hiked here for a number of years, and there are parts of this hike that I really like and parts that I am not crazy about. First, the good. I like the open areas with the different grasses, scenic views, and interesting "serpentine" rock that lines the trails. There are wooded sections of the trail that are also very scenic, and there is enough elevation gain here and there to make it a decent workout. On the negative side, there are ugly high tension lines passing through a section of park, and the trail can become extremely sloppy and muddy in winter or after heavy rains. All in all, it's an interesting worthwhile hike.

Amy A, (340)

23 Completed7 Reviews

Explored Soldier's Delight on a warmer winter day. Took the Serpentine Trail and immediately thankful I wore good boots. The trail was either (1) muddy, wet, and sunken like a dried creek bed, (2) solid ice, or (3) nubby rock depending on where you were. The landscape is eerie and desolate, with scrubby brush, spindly oak, and stretches of grassland interspersed with areas of forest. I kept trying to find beauty in my surroundings -- the grassland really was lovely, with shades of purple, red, and yellow. It almost looked like the land was on fire (interestingly, since the ecosystem is actually dependent on fire). I also reminded myself that the serpentine barren is home to many rare and endangered insects and plants, so it made things more interesting. What I couldn't stand though, were the power lines cutting through the trail, and the constant sound of gunshots in the distance. There's a shooting range nearby, and it makes you feel like you're in a horror movie. I may go back to check out the trails that go near the old mines, or to experience it in another season for trail running.

Bert Jenna (282)

3 Completed1 Reviews

Excellent trails at Soldiers Delight. The area offers different trail lengths and difficulty levels and the nature and scenery are great and surprisingly different from what you typically find in this area.

John Bent (120)

1 Completed1 Reviews

My wife and I have been hiking for a long time now i love this site its nice to see all the trails and the comments [ pro's and con's ] about them. This trails was nice a little rocky in spots but overall a good trail my dog liked it too.

Rick Levin (160)

5 Completed5 Reviews

I grew up hiking this trail as it was literally in my back yard as a kid. Our property backed up to Soldiers Delight so as kids we were on these trails all the time. Its actually a great little hike not far from Reisterstown Rd. near Franklin Blvd. and easy to get to from 795. You can park at the overlook and hike the loop. Its got some rocky terrain areas but for the most part it is pretty easy hiking. There is an old mine back there off the trail that's pretty cool if you can find it. I have found all kinds of cool animals and things on the trails, from an old turtle shell to broken off deer antlers. There is a ranger station on the loop, and I am not sure if they still do it but years ago they did a Halloween hike thing at the rangers station that was spooky and fun for kids. This is a great place to bring your dog as long as your dog is medium to large, may be hard to get a little Yorkie through some sections. There is one main trail that has Deer Park Rd. running through it, but there are smaller loops on both sides of the road if you don't feel like crossing a road. Unfortunately you can't mountain bike there, but its great for dogs, hiking, and trail running. Enjoy

Andrew Smith (344)

11 Completed8 Reviews

It's like someone dropped a savannah right next to Baltimore. The terrain is really interesting, but the serpentine barrens might turn off some folks if you're looking for waterfalls and sweeping vistas. I think the beauty of this place is a bit more subtle. The Red Run trail provides a nice change of scenery with some nice forest, a creek, and farmland. You'll also find some cool miness along a couple trails. The suburbs kind of encroach much of the trail, but when you're in the grasslands you don't notice. There's only about 7 miles of trails, without too many hills, so you could easily do the whole area in a day.

Chris Henry (1611)

9 Completed1 Reviews

I enjoy walking this trail in the evening because its very close to my house and it doesn't take a long time. There are several trails that you can do, all of which add up to about a 6.5 mile loop, if you want it that long. I can make my hike as short or as long as I like.
This trail is pretty easy and fairly flat. The terrain is very interesting, one minute it looks like your in a desert and very rocky. Then you go between a pine forest and an oak forest. But, overall, I like this trail for a quick no frills hike.

Dan Schuberth (721)

6 Completed3 Reviews

Very interesting trail. Pretty rocky, and a large part of it goes through open fields. Woods are nice, overall not a very long trail, we did the 2.5 mile serpentine trail.

Amy Gourley (513)

16 Completed11 Reviews

Well maintained trails, pretty view now that it's fall. Would not consider this moderate just a bit rocky. Saw only one other person. Took about 2 hours to do entire trail loop.

Support