Tucquan Glen Loop

#1 of 3 trails in Holtwood Recreation Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Family and dog-friendly loop hike mostly along a beautiful stream

Although this is a loop hike, I strongly suggest beginning with the left or lower side of the loop. This will keep the stream on your right side the entire hike. You'll begin by crossing a small stream on a bridge - to the left of the Tucquan Glen sign.

It's an easy hike with part of it along an old logging road. Follow the blue blazes. You'll pass the remains of an old homestead. The gorge will narrow as you get closer to the halfway point and you'll have some beautiful waterfalls over huge rocks.

At the halfway point you'll reach the railroad tracks. Turn right along the tracks and cross the bridge over Tuquan Creek. After another 100 feet or so the trail will head sharply uphill on the right. The stream will be out of sight for the first third of the return trip but the trail returns to it soon.

From Lancaster take Prince Street south through town to where Rte. 324 splits off. Follow Rte. 324 until it meets River Road. Turn left (South) along River road approximately 2 miles to the Tucquan Glen Nature Preserve sign on the right.

Conversely you can get there by following River Road South from Columbia. Tuquan Glen is located between Pequea and Holtwood.

N/A

1 Completed 1 Reviews

We tried to visit these trail on the 4th of July and it was CLOSED due to construction.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

I really loved this trail. Many places to go into the creek which is great for kids or hot summer days. I was going to bring my 7 year old and watch her closely, as going back up the trail is a little technical. I would not recommend it for smaller kids. Watch for road closings, we went to hike it yesterday and Water Road was closed in this area so we had to hike another trail.

10 Completed 1 Reviews

I'm in love with this area! Gets pretty crowded if you stay on the beaten path but if you stay high and take it to the tracks go up the steep trail,it'll take you to some awesome rocks/cliffs/caves.

Person_placeholder

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Beautiful trail. Waterfalls, river, railroad. Southern York counties best kept trail secret.

2 Completed 1 Reviews

Beautiful loop along a falling stream from trailhead down to the train tracks along the Susquehanna river. Moderate difficulty regards some rocking footing, but a non-strenous hike overall. The rolling stream really is the highlight of the hike. Take the shoes off and get the feet wet.

Person_placeholder

18 Completed 8 Reviews

awesome, stretching the definition of waterfall though

1 Completed 1 Reviews

First hike of the year as a family loved it good work out.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

this trail was awesome! we followed the yellow trail and eventually made it to the Susquehanna river. we even got to see a train on the tracks at the end of the trail. I would highly recommend this trail.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

After hiking this trail one warm sunny Sunday in April, I now see why it is so popular! It follows a beautiful stream through some shady forest. There are large sections of easy trail, but there are some sections with lots of roots and rocks and ankle biters. If you have young children, it may be a challenge in some areas. I started it out following the yellow blazes. As the trail climbed the ridge, it led thru some interesting rock outcroppings. The trail winds down to the Susquehanna, and crosses the Tucquan via the railroad. I took the blue blazed trail back and it was a bit of a boulder climb the first bit, but the trail again evened out. It wound past a standing chimney and led back toward the road. As I finished I saw the creek, hooked along the road, and separated me from my vehicle. I hadn't planned to cross but didn't find a spot where I wouldn't get my boots wet. So if you hike it on a Sunday, you may not want to wear your Monday morning work boots. All in all, Bishop (my little dog) and I enjoyed this trail greatly!

1 Completed 1 Reviews

I love the trails here; it's a very relaxing place to explore. It's not difficult at all, though there are some spots where you need to watch your step, and some areas may be slippery. There are many points along the creek to sit on a large rock over the water... Perfect to take in the scenery or a snack. Typically pass a few people, and sometimes can feel crowded in popular areas. Days following heavy rain are beautiful but not the best days to go if you are concerned about ease of access or safety for children.

Support