Turkey Run Loop

#1 of 1 trails in Turkey Run Park
Great river views plus stream, falls and woods

3.16 miles Loop 400 feet
Dog Friendly
hiking dogs
Hide Map

The trail starts in the C1 parking area and heads down to the Potomac River. The markers are yellow until you reach the river where you follow blue markers of the Potomac Heritage trail to the northwest along the river. You cross over Turkey Run and continue to Dead Run. Cross over Dead Run and go up stream, following the yellow markers again. Just after passing under the GW parkway bridge, turn left, cross the run and follow the yellow markers southeast until you reach Turkey Run again. Turn left and at the bridge cross over the run and follow the yellow trail up the hill and back to the parking lot.

Red Ondine

15 Completed1 Reviews

beautiful hike but poorly marked when you hit dead run. might as well call it dead end. I had to turn around and go back the way I came. didn't finish the loop.

Maura McKnight

1 Completed1 Reviews

This is a really gorgeous hike! You travel up & down some hefty hills, cross Turkey Run over rocks, enjoy waterfalls & glorious views of the Potomac River. There was a good bit of ice in the waterfalls, making them look enchanted. It was very muddy on the trails & we slipped from time to time, but our good hiking boots helped get us through the entire trail. Parts of the trail were poorly marked but since we had the AllTrails app running, we were able to find our way back on the trail. It's a fun hike & we can't wait to go back. This would be a great trail in all seasons.

Chandra Wroblewski

2 Completed2 Reviews

Overall nice, easy hike with dogs. Really muddy and few spots were tough to figure out direction.

Jane Doe

10 Completed3 Reviews

Good hike except for the loiterers.

Lauren Giovanni

25 Completed5 Reviews

I have run here a couple of times and am glad I didn't have the issues mentioned below. There are usually other people walking the trail. The trail is short and easy.

Chris Woods

6 Completed2 Reviews

While I didn't notice some of the issues mentioned by other reviewers, the main issue I had was that this is one of the worst marked trails I've ever been on. That said, the geology and the views of the Potomac are great, and it provides a little bit of a workout. With all the rocks, I'd imagine this trail is a bit better before all the leaves start coming down in the fall.

Abigail Stone

3 Completed3 Reviews

I do not recommend this trail. When you arrive, expect to see some older gay men cruising near the bathrooms. This park and trail is a very well known cruising spot. Inherently, I have no problem with this, but it does tend to make you a bit paranoid about what will be around the next turn... In addition, a large portion of the trail is so near the beltway that the sound of traffic drowns out any and all nature sounds. You even hike underneath the road at one point. The hike itself is easy to moderate, and there is one place with a small waterfall just beside the Potomac that was actually quite nice to sit and enjoy, but that small piece of quiet and beauty did not make the rest of the trail worth it.

I.m. P.