Great Blue Hill Trail

MODERATE
#2 of 6 trails in Blue Hills Reservation
Great Blue Hill Trail is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Milton, MA that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until November.

kid friendly birding hiking nature trips trail running walking forest lake views wild flowers wildlife
Hide Map

Dan Maloney

Steve Kendall

15 Completed15 Reviews

Kate Brown

6 Completed5 Reviews

I hiked this in June from the main road. I had a hard time finding the small post to head up the Skyline South Trail. There's just one post and a steep incline. The path heads pretty much vertical for the first few minutes of the trail. The terrain starts out with low-level trees and leaves. Lots of loose dirt and dry (at least in June). Then the terrain quickly shifted to rocky with holders to climb over. The trail eased up, but there were quite a few rocks to climb rather than typical hiking. I was quite tired when I reached the top at Eliot Tower. I then took the Skyline North trail back town. I landed at the main trailhead where there is a restroom. The facility smelled but was otherwise clean! I did a quick tick check and then headed for the car. I think in total this loop I did was 5+ miles (South Skyline to Eliot Tower and back to North Skyline).

Paul Warrender

47 Completed47 Reviews

Amy Wood

1 Completed1 Reviews

A nice place for a trail walk/ run near the city. A lot of different trails for a variety of needs /workouts.

Brendan B

7 Completed7 Reviews

Earl Littlefield

11 Completed11 Reviews

The Blue Hills trail system is an excellent place to run, hike, bike, cook out, swim. I mainly use it for trail running, and have trained for long obstacle course races here (Big Blue) and trail races. A mixture of terrain, elevation, rolling trails to steep to flat, you can find everything that you are looking for.

Renee Maxwell

7 Completed4 Reviews

Kent Van Vliet

Aarthy Selvamani

Horace Pinheiro

11 Completed7 Reviews

On 9/19/2015, my son and I hiked 6 miles in Blue Hills. Perfect day for a hike. Moderate hike. We parked on Chickatawbut Hill Rd. On the corner of rt 28 and Chickatawbut Rd. Not crowded at all for a Saturday. I would definitely return to hike this again.

Matthew Bowman

3 Completed3 Reviews

Gary Belastock

1 Completed1 Reviews

Short, fun and nice views. Good for kids

Brandon Walsh

25 Completed3 Reviews

Azeez Gaurav Swarup

2 Completed1 Reviews

This was the 1st hike I had with my 4 month old daughter. Car parking is right across the street from the police station. We started at the office , and took the Wolcott path for 0.4 miles, then went south to reach the skyline trail south. We were thinking that should we go ahead straight and take the blue easier trail which was longer , or take the shorter black trail which was shorter (the skyline trail south). We decided for the shorter as the sun was about to set, but did not realize that it would be a little tricky. It's a very beautiful trail but the last 0.2 mile was steep and a bit difficult with a kid. We enjoyed the hike a lot and would go back again for sure !!

Lauren Fisher

Great trail for family

Jeremy Gordon

4 Completed4 Reviews

Fun trail...I usually do it as part of the skyline trail, but this is a great for an easier, shorter hike.

Robert Njuguna

2 Completed2 Reviews

This trail is slightly challenging for a person getting back into hiking. I followed the blue markers starting from the Park Headquarters with a steep ascent to Hancock hill which had a nice view. I followed the blue trail to Elliot tower at Great Blue Hill. The top of the tower gives a spectacular view. I then followed the Wildcat trail via Houghton hill to park headquarters. The trail was well marked and maintained. There were not too many people when I visited. The views were nice but would be better in the fall. I will visit again most likely in the fall.

Arindam Ghosh

2 Completed2 Reviews

Very well maintained sanctuary, friendly & informative staff, great place for bird lovers

Nora and Peter R.

94 Completed31 Reviews

Nice moderate trail, but so crowded. We go there only if we have no time to drive to New Hampshire. The views are very average for New England; cannot even be remotely compared with Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire trails.